1998 4Runner

1998 Toyota 4Runner

Have you driven the 1998 Toyota 4Runner?

Best 4Runner Ever Made

by Toyota4Life from Dallas, TX on Thu Mar 17 2011

200,000 and this one is only getting warmed up. 300,000 miles is extremely probable and 400k is probable. Very low maint vehicle. 98 is the best looking model in my opinion.

This has been a sweet ride!

by Omuchacha from Mpls, MN on Wed Apr 01 2009

I bought mine used about six years ago. I've put about 130,000 miles on it, so we're now approaching 200,000 miles with nary a hiccup. I did replace the sway bar link, and we've gone through some brakes, but that's to be expected especially when you USE your car like I do. It's been perfect for hauling my toddler safely through snow storms, going off to horse shows, and in city driving too. Small enough to fit in parking ramps, but big enough to fit 3 car seats in the back, plus luggage for a weekend at the cabin. It's a sweet ride.

Living with my 4 Runner

by Pilot BC from Houston, Reno on Fri Mar 04 2011

My 98 Toyota 4 Runner is one of the best cars I've ever owner. It's easy on gas - 20-23 on the highway at 65-70mph and is so very reliable. It rarely has any issues and when it does parts are plentiful and inexpensive. After 165,00 miles It still goes like a Champ! It tows, carry's loads, cruises, goes in snow and is fun in the summer when you open up the top. The electric rear window is a treat too.

Buy one if you need a good SUV only 4x4

by Sports car guy and only 4x4 if you Have a SUV from Olath, KS. on Wed Nov 14 2007

A little top heavy on the highway! Can go anywhere all the time! Little touchy on the brakes with alot of body forward shift. Excellent vehicle. Mine has ove 160,000 and just replaed the thermostat.

4Runners - run for 400000.0 miles

by Totally Toyota - from Windsor , WI on Tue Oct 04 2011

Rock solid" 4x4 transportation.We have hade 2 4Runners, 2000 SR5 V6 , 1998 Limited V6 . The 2000 had 2 wrecks , last one total it . The air bags deployed , and seat belts saved my Wife . My Wife walked away unharmed . We replaced it with the 1998 . It has 173000. miles and rides and runs better than the 2000 . You can't ask for a better mid size 4x4 . Get one today ! So dependable !

One of the Most Reliable Crossovers Money Can Buy

by 4runnerNut from Arizona on Fri Feb 03 2017

I don't often get my money's worth on things that I purchase. This was not one of those times. We researched for days on the best crossover/SUV. We chose to get (brand new with 0 miles) what is now our grey 1998 Toyota 4runner SR5. That was 14 years and 375,000 miles ago. This crossover is as reliable as a tank and as comfortable as a recliner. You can travel 300 miles to Death Valley and then go offroading with absolutely no problems; all while charging your phone, listening to your favorite music, and taking in the views. Gas mileage isn't exactly the best I've ever had with about 19 on average and 22 on a good day; with that, my only other complaint is that the cupholder is literally right in front of the middle air vents so if you have a cup in it, then it blocks the air flow (why I deducted a point in interior design). But other than that, I really wouldn't recommend any other crossover other than this one. It's the best value for your money, it has a 4 wheel drive verson, they're easy to work on (for the most part), and it's reliability knows no bounds. My advice: if you're thinking about getting one, pull the trigger, I guarantee you'll be happy.

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Willy from San Carlos, CA on Tue Feb 21 2012

I've had my 1998 4Runner for 8 years and 125,000 miles and no other car has even come close. It holds everything, handles decently, gets good economy, and just doesn't break. I take it around town, on the interstate, and off road - flawlessly. Replacing it now as it nears 215,000 miles. I got an RDX to replace it; yeah guess my camping days are over. I wish it had a scosh more power but at least it has a frame - and a LOW range - nice. Talking myself out of selling it by writing this. Go ahead - try to talk down the price.

98 4Runner Limited 4x4, the best 3rd gen. 4Runner

by Ken L. from New York, NY on Mon Sep 25 2006

This is absolutely the best vehicle I've owned. I bought this used 4 years ago and to be honest, it still runs like a new truck with over 100k miles on it. I've upgraded the stereo and added a DVD player and subwoofer just to turn the somewhat narrow interior into a concert hall. All these things need are regular oil changes and a tune up at 90k and they'll run forever. I would not give this up for a brand new Ford Explorer, even if I had a chance to trade it in for a 50/50 swap. However, I wouldn't mind the 2005 or 2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition, those are pretty nice. Keep in mind this is a truck and won?t ride like a sedan, but when the going gets tough, you?ll make it through.

Reliable, reliable reliable!

by Drm from Jacksonville, fl on Sun Jan 28 2018

If you want a car that will last forever, this is the car for you. Currently has 324000 miles and still runs like a champ. As long as you keep up with basic maintenance, this car will last. My only complaints is the interior design does not use the space as efficiently as it could. Overall, a great car.

its my first car and its not bad

by Jeffrey from Oklahoma on Fri Aug 24 2007

I probably could pick a better automobile but me having no choice its not bad for a first car. I have the Inline-4 so its not the kind of power i expected but it gets me where i want to go. Its comfortable and it sits up high enough to clearly see the road. It gets decent MPG for a mid-sive SUV which is a big upside to the 4Runner. Overall its a good automobile.

1 2 3