1998 4Runner

1998 Toyota 4Runner

Have You Driven the 1998 Toyota 4Runner?

Best 4Runner Ever Made

by Toyota4Life from Dallas, TX on Thu Mar 17 2011

200,000 and this one is only getting warmed up. 300,000 miles is extremely probable and 400k is probable. Very low maint vehicle. 98 is the best looking model in my opinion.

Living with my 4 Runner

by Pilot BC from Houston, Reno on Fri Mar 04 2011

My 98 Toyota 4 Runner is one of the best cars I've ever owner. It's easy on gas - 20-23 on the highway at 65-70mph and is so very reliable. It rarely has any issues and when it does parts are plentiful and inexpensive. After 165,00 miles It still goes like a Champ! It tows, carry's loads, cruises, goes in snow and is fun in the summer when you open up the top. The electric rear window is a treat too.

One of the Most Reliable Crossovers Money Can Buy

by 4runnerNut from Arizona on Fri Feb 03 2017

I don't often get my money's worth on things that I purchase. This was not one of those times. We researched for days on the best crossover/SUV. We chose to get (brand new with 0 miles) what is now our grey 1998 Toyota 4runner SR5. That was 14 years and 375,000 miles ago. This crossover is as reliable as a tank and as comfortable as a recliner. You can travel 300 miles to Death Valley and then go offroading with absolutely no problems; all while charging your phone, listening to your favorite music, and taking in the views. Gas mileage isn't exactly the best I've ever had with about 19 on average and 22 on a good day; with that, my only other complaint is that the cupholder is literally right in front of the middle air vents so if you have a cup in it, then it blocks the air flow (why I deducted a point in interior design). But other than that, I really wouldn't recommend any other crossover other than this one. It's the best value for your money, it has a 4 wheel drive verson, they're easy to work on (for the most part), and it's reliability knows no bounds. My advice: if you're thinking about getting one, pull the trigger, I guarantee you'll be happy.

Great Investment

by YotaLibre from Manhattan on Sun Aug 12 2018

Remember to check your lower ball joints on used 4runners they can blow out and thats not good if it happens at highway speeds. These 3rd generation 4runners are built like tanks. Very easy to diagnose, learn auto maintenance with, and absolutely fun and affordable to modify.

4Runners - run for 400000.0 miles

by Totally Toyota - from Windsor , WI on Tue Oct 04 2011

Rock solid" 4x4 transportation.We have hade 2 4Runners, 2000 SR5 V6 , 1998 Limited V6 . The 2000 had 2 wrecks , last one total it . The air bags deployed , and seat belts saved my Wife . My Wife walked away unharmed . We replaced it with the 1998 . It has 173000. miles and rides and runs better than the 2000 . You can't ask for a better mid size 4x4 . Get one today ! So dependable !

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Willy from San Carlos, CA on Tue Feb 21 2012

I've had my 1998 4Runner for 8 years and 125,000 miles and no other car has even come close. It holds everything, handles decently, gets good economy, and just doesn't break. I take it around town, on the interstate, and off road - flawlessly. Replacing it now as it nears 215,000 miles. I got an RDX to replace it; yeah guess my camping days are over. I wish it had a scosh more power but at least it has a frame - and a LOW range - nice. Talking myself out of selling it by writing this. Go ahead - try to talk down the price.

No Fear Breaking 300

by Russell4Runner from Newport Beach on Wed May 10 2017

I bought a Fast and Furious Infiniti FX35 after giving my 1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited to my close friend so he could start working as a delivery driver. Well the 4Runner is no Prius, so we went and bought him a Prius and I was left with 2 cars. Nobody would buy my 4Runner because of fear that it had 298k miles, so I sold the FX and I am keeping the 4Runner to prove that the original engine will last another 5+ years to reach the 400k mile mark!

My 1998 4runner limited on Apr 1999

by NedEGRoss Trainman from Chesapeake, Va on Mon Apr 24 2017

This vehicle is the best I have ever owned there have been very few repairs required other than normal maintenance. Now I have 200,000 miles on it and wouldn't fear driving from my home in chesapeake vs to the west coast and back. It is been so dpedable that I have that much trust in it. I now have two other cars and they are both from foreign manufacturers. I only have two complaints about the vehicle the cop holder location is directly over the hear shift lever and if a soft drink containing sugar is placed therewith any of the drink on the outside it can drip on the shift lever can foul the shifting. The cup holder also blocks sight and access to some of the controls. Toyota relocated the cup holder on the 1999 model so this is no longer a problem. I have also had deterioration of the paint but the truck has been outside for the whole time I've owned it I plan to get it painted which will only cost $1,200. I just don't want my neighbors to fire bom my house for reducing property values. That's not true because I park it so far up my driveway. I agree with another person who pit a post on here that those vehicles have the best.looking 4runner of all. They really messed things up when they changed the design. The main reason I bought the.vehicle is so i and my son could go down to the outer banks in North Carolina. And go surge fishing where you need to have a four wheeled drive vehicle to drive out on the sand. I don't know how many people reading this post have ever driven on loose beach sent but it iatakes a mean vehicle to negotiate that terrain and you better have good vertical clearance or you wind make it. Don't think you can use all wheel drive cars or small SUVs because you need a toe truck.

The Best Vehicle Ever!

by mynamegk from on Thu May 04 2017

I have 400,000 kms on my 4Runner and it runs perfectly. I have replaced the timing belt twice, replaced brakes once, and regular maintenance such as oil changes. I cannot see myself without my 4Runner

Reliable, reliable reliable!

by Drm from Jacksonville, fl on Sun Jan 28 2018

If you want a car that will last forever, this is the car for you. Currently has 324000 miles and still runs like a champ. As long as you keep up with basic maintenance, this car will last. My only complaints is the interior design does not use the space as efficiently as it could. Overall, a great car.

1 2 3 4