2003 4Runner

2003 Toyota 4Runner

2003 Toyota 4Runner

Have You Driven the 2003 Toyota 4Runner?

Best SUV on the market

by Toyota truck lover from Richland, MI on Mon Apr 20 2009

I've owned my 03 V8 Sport since 9/06 and have put about 35k on it. Absolutely love this SUV. No other midsize SUV holds a candle to the 4Runner. Top notch quality (zero issues to date, nothing more than oil changes), tows awesome (tow a 6500 trailer and a 3600 travel trailer and its prewired for a brake controller from the factory, very handy), very well built, drives great, lots of power, great brakes. I also have a 89 Toyota truck with 177k miles that has had very few issues in the 12 years I have had it. You just can't beat a Toyota 4Runner or mini truck, they run forever. I plan to have this 4Runner for a very long time to come, there is nothing on the market to this day still that compares to it. Only areas for improvement would be the weak stereo and power drivers seat which they have added now on newer 4Runners.

Uses car for Towing

Does anything you ask of it

by Outdoorsman from Charlotte, NC on Tue May 27 2008

I've had my '03 V8 4WD 4Runner for 3 years now and have put 45k miles on it for a total of 90k. I tow a 2000 lb boat/trailer about 20% of the time and do not even notice it's there from a performance standpoint. MPG dips to an average around 15 with any towing, most of which is highway miles, and I get 18 mpg on the average tank without any towing. The max MPG I've gotten with any one tank is 20.2. Also it'll take 24.5 gallons of gas when it's bone dry, but I wouldn't suggest letting it get quite that low, based on personal experience. The ride is comfortable for an SUV even with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor A/T tires and (knock on wood) I have yet to have any significant mechanical or other issues. I bought this vehicle to tow my boat, have space for the dog and 5 people when necessary, and get me anywhere on or off road I need to be. So far I have no regrets and would recommend it to anyone.

there is no going back...

by oliver from Mexico on Thu Jun 30 2016

Once you own a 4runner, you realize why they have a cult following. My 03' V8 limited is just about to Crack 200k and runs great. Purchased in nov. 2012 with 118k and spent the last two years in mexico... during which I put 60k on it ...and let's just say those were not kind miles. Great cross county cruiaer. Can tow and haul plenty of weight. More comfortable seating and cabin than most modern uni body "SUV-cars"...although you will not forget this is on a truck frame. There is a reason 4runners are known for reliability. .. they simply last. As for the creature comforts, the only thing this 14 year old truck lacks is Bluetooth. In the limited V8, the stereo is fantastic, seating has lumbar support, A/C outlet in the console, loads of torque and unlike many, this is a champ off road and in the snow. I have driven my 4runner 40,000 miles in the last 12 months... and during that time also drove(Hyundai Santa Fe, Ford Tauras Limited, Subaru Forester, Opel Insigni/Buick Regal, Chevy Equinox)...I'll take the 14 yr old V8 cross country ahead of them all.

I really enjoy this vehicle

by 4runnerfan from Vancouver, Bc Canada on Mon Apr 12 2010

I bought a 2003 limited, v8, 4x4 a few months ago and am really impressed by it's solid ride, comfort and overall performance and handling. I am also getting close to 20 miles to the gallon with the v8 5 speed and I love the power. Enjoy.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best SUV for the money 2003 Limited 4X4

by Proud 4Runner owner from Hartford, CT on Mon Apr 07 2008

I have owned several SUV's prior to this one, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Isuzu Rodeo and prior generation 4Runner. I would never buy another suv. Handles well, tow's my 20' boat with ease. Great in snow full time four wheel drive system works great. Great vehicle for everyday use, I have 90,000 miles now, just did the major tune up and other than brakes nothing on this vehicle has broken. Take it off roading about once a month, has never gotten stuck. Only downside is gas mileage i have the V8 and average about 13mpg city and 17mpg highway. I will trade this one in for another one when Toyota comes out with the next generation 4Runner. You can buy a less expensive suv but you will pay for it in the long run.

You can't go wrong with the Toyota 4Runner

by Travelingsales from Lewisville TX on Wed Aug 20 2008

I've had several toyotas and two 4Runners and they amaze me how they're like the enegergizer bunny. They just go and go w/o any kind of repairs. Truly fantastic engineering and quality has gone into this technology!

Longevity review

by I like cars from Fort Collins, CO on Wed Aug 21 2013

I bought my 03 4runner used about 6 years ago. It had high mileage at the time. It's been very reliable in the 50k or so miles I have put on it. The V8 runs strong. Gas mileage is okay for the size of the engine, but I think the mpg meter is wrong, off by a mile or so per gallon. (not in a good way). I read the review about the brakes and yes there is something funky there, but it just takes getting used too. Not worth the terrible review though. It has been a fantastic vehicle. Besides oil changes, a timing belt, and brakes I have put 0 dollars into it. Again - I purchased it with high miles because I am a Toyota fan, but it's been incredibly reliable. This SUV handles well too - When I was shopping for one I rented a Ford Escape and I swear I thought it was going to roll on any quick maneuver, I have swerved in this SUV and it is really stable. Good smooth ride as well. Gas mileage in the city approx 14 - 15. On the highway or when I go skiing 17-20. Most I ever got was 22 on a trip to TX. While I recommend any car to get checked out first, even with high miles this truck is a pretty safe bet. I have the limited V8 package. I have owned many other cars (BMW, Volvo, Fords, Acura, and Toyota's) The Toyota's and Acura's have held up best.

345,000 miles. Still purring.

by Sparrows from Atlanta, Georgia on Tue Aug 07 2018

Bought my 2003 Toyota 4 runner New. It has been my only mode of transportation. I chose it simply because of the size of the trunk space. Many road trips later, she is now 15 years old, wearing 345,000 miles like a queen. People ask me if this is my second engine. Nope..the first engine. Not a hiccup or a glitch in her ride. BTW my daughter drives a 1994 Toyota Camry. I LOVE TOYOTA.

Best I've ever owned

by Dhmtnbiker42 from Pittsfield, ma on Fri Nov 23 2012

I used to hate toyotas, but this car made me change my mind. I bought a used 2003 4runner sport edition with the 4.7v8. I've had it for a while now and it's great. 156000 miles and its never had anything but routine maintenance (tires, brakes, oil changes etc). It's comfortable and well built. I used it to tow a car on a heavy trailer and it did great. I try not to bring it off road, however I have used it to pull a few Chevys out if the mud. It's an amazing, versatile suv

2003 4runner excellent choice for a mid size suv

by ahmad77084 from on Mon Jan 26 2015

I got this truck at 193000 and it still looking good. I'm hoping to get 300k on it. Loving 4runner. It does aound 20 mpg which is not bad .

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2003 Toyota 4Runner

Rugged, Reliable and Tougher to Roll

This is a review of the 2003 Toyota 4Runner. It is a midsize sport-utility vehicle. Thus, this column might offend SUV opponents. They need not tarry here.

This is for people who are interested in SUVs. They include lovers of sport-utility vehicles and potential first-time buyers. This is a story about one of the best SUVs available.

The Toyota 4Runner entered the U.S. market 17 years ago. It was rugged. You could take it off-road, beat it up, tow heavy loads. It kept running.

People loved the 4Runner for its toughness and reliability. But it had shortcomings. The interior was cramped. Ride and handling were rough. If you failed to read windshield-visor... Read More