2004 4Runner

4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Love my 4Runner

by NYC Weekend Traveler from New York, NY on March 14, 2011

Love this truck. Bought it used about 1 year ago with 70,000 miles on it. My model is a 2004 V8 Limited w/ the air suspension feature. I highly recommend this suspension option as my truck handles like a dream. The interior is super comfortable and spacious with plenty of room for dogs, friends, skis, luggage etc. It also has all the creature comforts... great stereo system, heated seats, etc. This car feels really quick. Pickup is very strong at all speeds (I can't imagine the V6 feels this good..) I average gas mileage at around 17.5mpg. The full time AWD is fantastic in the snow... I had to drive this thing around after a blizzard about a month ago and I was the only vehicle on the streets that could move. I have not had a single problem with this truck since I bought it (knock on wood of course...) This is my 2nd 4runner, and the last one was a '94 that I kept to 145000 miles. That car was still running perfectly when I sold, but I wanted something with airbags.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

best cars on the road

by toyota forever from minnesota on March 13, 2012

I bought my 2000 4 runner used with 70,000 miles on it. 4 years ago when it had 175,000 on it my daughter rolled it. The insurance company totalled it and I bought it back for 800.00, put 500 worth of glass in it and 4 years and another 100,000 miles later , it still runs like a charm. Looks a little rough around the edges from the rollover, but runs fine. Never had any major mechanical problems, just normal maintenance. Bought a Celica brand new 35 years ago and when I sold it, it had 285,000 miles on it. Only reason I sold it was it was a 2 door and I had 2 kids to get in and out of car seats-good car.

Most Reliable!

by SUV Enthusiast from New Jersey on October 17, 2012

I just purchased my third 4Runner and couldn't be happier. 100% reliable - built to last, really. Couple of things (1) body-on-frame which means durability ?it feels like new even after 100K miles, (2) made in Japan, maintenance is minimal and it has virtually zero defects based on my experience with other European and American cars (excluding BMW), and (3) I love how it handles - really fun to drive- compared to Honda Pilot for instance.

HONDA CONVERT AND NOT LOOKING BACK!!!

by New Believer from Pennsylvania on January 1, 2009

I traded my wifes 03 civic in for this without her knowledge for Christmas. Don't tell her that it was really a christmas present for me because i HATED the Honda. It was loud(at only 50K miles), weak, cramped and overall cheap feeling. No comparison between the two vehicles. No wonder Toyota is King. She is 5'2" and she loves it. I am 6'0" and i love it. We are sold! We had to drive 1700 hundred miles on a trip a week after we bought it and could not be happier with the ride and comfort. I feel like it should have more power on takeoff but I will gladly trade this for 21MPG average, 24MPG highway! We are already planning the purchase of a new one for her as i am stealing this one!

4 runner sport v-8

by kipper from woodbine,md on January 9, 2011

19.6 overall mileage regular gas toyota rd stainless exhaust system solid quiet ride with all kinds of get up and go no leaks or squeaks solid as a rock v-8 will go anywhere . you owe it to yourself to drive one . after that it is easy to see why they are the number 1 car in america

New-to-me

by Lizzy B from Boise, ID on June 4, 2011

Ok, I can't give a perfect review because this car is new to me, but I can say this much: Everybody I know who has ever had a 4Runner loves it. Also, I traded in a 2009 Nissan Rogue that was COMPLETELY decked out (every bell and whistle possible), and this car rides/feels about a million times more comfortable in terms of ride and even just how it's built. I have the V6, and it seems to have plenty of get-up-and-go. So even though I "traded down" I got a great deal, I think I moved up overall.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best Toyota owned yet!

by SUV & Truck Guy from Spartanburg, SC on December 26, 2006

This was a replacement for a 2002 4Runner and is better in every respect except the exterior appearence. My wife prefers the new body style and I am more fond of the old school style. In spite of that, it is still better in every respect to the 2002 which was my favorite before this came along. We have had no issues with the vehicle since delivery.

Best SUV on market

by Yota from Richmond, VA on May 31, 2007

Best car I've owner. A bit pricey but no doubt you will get your money worth and probably have money to spare when it comes time to upgrade. A good mix of luxury and rugged. I would recommend this vehicle to friends and family!

Best Vehicle I have ever owned

by Trevor from Wausau Wisconsin on October 23, 2014

Great SUV! super reliable! pretty good gas mileage(even with the V8). This thing drives like a sports car, but is as sturdy as any truck. It is super roomy. I actually left my lights on all day at work and it still started up! eight hours later! Still has original 10 year old battery too! Toyota did a great job! Stop looking and buy one!!!

Best longlasting vehicle

by Runner-up from Austell, Ga. on September 10, 2017

My 2004 4runner SR5 hit 300,000 miles and if it hadnt been for the diagnostics i had toyota run on it to see how she was for hitting with that many original miles i would of never of known she had blown a head gasket, still purrs like a kitten, hauls buttlll like a mountain lion, starts up everytime like it was the first, AC is like a freezer, heater will burn you up, with a stereo system that will make you AND your neighbors jamm out! The driving is still magic, smooth and able to take curves and hills like satin, still picks up and roars! Gas milage never wavered at 24 on the hwy and 17 in town, hits bumps like not even there, no leaks, no smoke, no noise, and continues to look as good as new with only the normal scratch here and there . I LOVE MY 4RUNNER ! They say the heads arent sevicable due to they are silver so im going to treat my baby to a new engine since she has been such a great vehicle and i just dont want to trade her in, she still looks and feels good , shes my girl ! If you want a vehicle that is loyal, long lasting, and never lets you down .....the 4runner is the one for your money, you cant buy a used one for less than a new motor bc their value continues to run high, and no other car have i had( and ive tried them all) made it to the 300, 000 mark or keep the class that the 4 runner has, much less give as little trouble as this big , roomy, and comfortable hunk of steel gives! BE A WINNER! BUY A RUNNER, A 4 RUNNER!!

1 2 3 4 5 6