1994 Camry

4.9 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

200,000 plus and still reliable and comfortable

by John Z from Tempe on November 3, 2009

To date the only thing that has failed has been the antenna drive (twice). The 1994 4-cylinder Camry was judged by Click and Clack on air to be the best 10 year old car to buy back in 2004. I wish the mileage was better, but maybe its time for a Prius. On the other hand, considering all I do is change all the fluids and the oil regularly I can't really complain.

Great Car!

by Nate from New Haven, CT on June 27, 2009

I've had my V6 XLE Toyota Camry for 15 years and it still drives a excellently. Despite having over 217k miles, it only requires basic maintenance. It gets great gas millage, period.; on a really long drive up I95 last year, I eked out 500 miles from the 15 gallon tank for a 33 MPG. When doing local driving, I get about 375-400 miles per tank, for about 25 MPG. The only downsides are that the pick-up is now starting to feel a bit slow and the steering is a bit loose when compared to a new vehicle. Still, I prefer my Camry to the newest high-end Camry.

Dollar goes a long way with this car

by Juice2288 from San Diego, CA on August 4, 2008

I have now owned my Camry for about 7 years now (bought used from original owner) and it still runs well and gets reasonable gas millage for a 6 cylinder; 24-25mpg as my daily commuter with 70% freeway driving. It is a quite car with good noise isolation. As soon as I roll the window down a bit, the noise just comes rushing in. But as soon as I roll the windows up, the noise just disappears as if everything around me was muted. The ride is really comfortable. I hardly get much noise or vibration from the road. Sure I feel cracks and bumps on the road but that is normal. I am refering to the typical road noise you hear while driving another brand. It accelerates as a typical V6 car would, nothing to get excited about, but it is very responsive as soon as I step on the gas and lay off of the gas too; unlike the oldsmobile I rented recently (throtle lag). The handling is fine, it rolls quite a bit but it is manageable. I go driving around mountain roads sometimes and the car is fun enough to drive there (it's no 3 series at all though). But for what it was built for, a daily commuter and a long trip vehicle, this car did an excellent job. If you can purchase a used one in good condition, I highly recommend it.

the best first car ever!

by kellayyy from Oakton, VA on October 8, 2008

In 2002, when I first got my drivers lisence my parents got me a 1994 forest green camry. To say the least I was far from thrilled at the appearance of it, I was mad I didn't get cool fast new cars like all my friends. Now that I have kids and am driving a jeep cherokee, I REALLY miss my camry. Its byfar the most reliable car i've ever owned, it had 100,000 miles on it when my parents bought it for me and I never had a major problem with it for the whole 4 years that I drove it. I would recommend this car to anyone!

Toyota of better times...

by Ex-Toyota Extoller from PA on August 18, 2008

My Japanese made Camry LE is a great car overall. Great interior quality, very good fit and finish, very reliable overall, very smooth on the highway. Yes, the 4 cyl engine (5S-FE) is weak compared to the never ones, but is MUCH more refined, quiet, and very smooth. I like the drive by cable throttle body instead of the by wire set-up of the new ones that pause, feel weird and disconnected, etc... My 2003 Camry SE 4 cyl has nowhere near the build quality, and this is truly a shame for a once great car maker. Really never thought I would not recommend a new Toyota, but I have.

By far the best car I've owned to date.

by Longtime Camry driver from Bartlesville, OK on March 18, 2015

I bought a '94 Camry V6 XLE at 210,000 miles, was a one-owner vehicle and was kept in a family of mechanics. From the get-go, I was thrilled to drive this car. It has a very luxurious ride quality that's as smooth as glass, rolls just a tad when around going around corners, and the V6 engine is smooth and quiet with decent in-town and highway gas mileage, but is quite lively when on the throttle, despite the lack of a lot of low-end torque. I can definitely say that the pearl green color is what this car wears best, and black is also a nice color. The roomy interior also has a nice plush fabric, interior is very ergonomic and easy to use, and I can't complain about the large amount of trunk space. The only maintenance I've had to perform on this car is oil changes every 3,000 miles, transmission fluid and new tires at 235,000 miles, as well as a mild tuneup... It still runs strong and smooth as anything out there today- I'm still driving it!! I think this car is way ahead of its time, and a great first car or daily commuter for anyone looking for a solid, reliable, and comfortable all-around vehicle that won't break your budget. 5 stars from me.

Smog Safe!

by Vic Daddy from Los Angeles on September 9, 2009

I bought this car from my uncle's roommate and it only had 181k miles. I drive about 200 miles a week and it hasn't given me any critical problems. I installed a cold-air intake on the Camry and I get 25-30 mpg hwy and 15-20 mpg city. The tune-up is very easy on these cars. Not a good-looking car, but it's definately reliable.

Its a tank!

by Safari from Montreal, Quebec on April 16, 2008

For a car that's almost 15 years old, I couldn't be more satisfied. The starter is finished, and a few repairs have had to be done, but overall, not too bad. I'm looking into buying a new car, and trust that Toyota is still making cars of equal reliability and quality.

Cheap plastic door handles

by Ilovethekitties6 from maxwell texas on November 13, 2013

I have had to replace both front inside door release handles. The drivers side has broken twice. NOW my passenger side outside door handle has snapped off. They are made ONLY of plastic with absolutely NO metal reinforcement. The price for replacement handles from the dealer became prohibitive but it is dangerous not to replace handles...especially inside. Fortunately I discovered I could buy replacement handles from a chain auto store for a third of the price.

I love my "mommy car".

by Mommy mobile from Denver on January 12, 2018

1994 Camry wagon with 267,000 miles on it. We drove it from Colorado to Washington state last summer. Had a small problem with a broken part in the brake system due to wear and tear but it was very comfortable for 4 adults and it pulled a utility trailer. She gets 28 mpg around town. Yes, the antenna drive has been replaced several times and yes, the plastic door handles have also been replaced but I will drive this car forever or a million miles. Also handles our local mountains well.

1 2 3