2001 Toyota Corolla Consumer Reviews

4.1
Average based on 18 reviews

Great car! Very Reliable

by from Chambersburg, PA on January 14, 2012

I have owned Corollas off and on for the last couple of decades. They are one of the most dependable cars on the road. While they are not very fancy, I have always enjoyed driving them. I especially like getting 35 - 40 mpg! Lots of value for your money.

atleast she;s dependable..

by from philly on August 20, 2010

it's a good reliable car, but burns soooooooooo much oil! other than that it's dependable. but lately i've been having some engine problems

Engine issues

by from on March 19, 2012

Like other users have remarked, my corolla burnt tons of oil, then at 135k miles, the engine blew. Was a decent car up until that point.

Excellent Overall

by from Riverside, CA on September 21, 2012

After 12 years and 170K+ miles, no major problems until now. I have not experienced the high oil consumption reported by others. However, my catelytic converter has now gone south; I just learned it is extremely expensive ($1,500) for a new one, and it has to be welded into place, which means finding a skilled welder (with a corresponding additional labor cost) to install it. Small dash lights are also impossible to replace without pulling the entire console. Those started to go around 60K miles.

The 2001 Corolla is a great car

by from Chicago, IL on April 18, 2015

The 2001 Corolla is an awesome car I bought my 2001 Corolla S brand new. 14 years later and 185,000 miles, it still runs like new, very reliable, economic and almost maintenance free. I still get 30+ Miles per gallon mixed city/highway driving, I've always used regular gasoline with no additives. The only part that I ever had to replace was the catalytic converter at around 160,000 miles, it cost me a total of around $250 to get a new one welded in at the local muffler shop. Other than that, all I ever had to do is regular maintenance like oil change, coolant flush, brake pads replacement…

Agree with Deb- Too much oil consumption

by from Atlanta, GA on January 26, 2009

Like Deb, I have a 2001 manual 5 speed Corolla. It does burn up gas a great deal; every 400-500 miles I have to put 2 quarts of oil in it. The wheel bearing also developed a problem and I have to spend $350 to get it fixed. The Corolla is a reliable car overall, but I would caution anyone considering it to buy a newer one i.e less than 2 years old. I've had mine for a year and already considering trading it in for a newer Matrix.

This is a great car

by from Ohio on July 6, 2006

This is a good deal. The car has all the features you need in a dependable transportration. Most of the milage is high way milage. It is in great shape. I had no trouble with it. It is well kept.It is well maintained. All the maintenance work was done on time by the prefofessionals.

Corolla

by from Lexington, KY on July 12, 2006

very nice car for the price you pay. I never had any trouble driving around. You can get good gas mileage on it.

Reliable, Quick, Fuel-Efficient

by from Chicago, IL on October 22, 2008

This car is absolutely amazing. Now you may be thinking why you would get this car over lets say a sentra or lancer. The money you pay for this car would be worth it. As soon as i bought this car i took it on a 500 mile road trip and it was a walk in the park for the car. Whether you are doing highway miles or city this car will save you tons of money on gas. Don't let the small engine fool you. If you need that extra power then this car will provide it. Excellent highway miles i got about 38mpg on the trip. Exterior styling is very sporty with the definitions in the hood and the spoiler on the back. The spoiler also has a brake light on it. Only thing about this car is that it definitely isnt one of the more spacious economy cars compared to the lancer or the portege, but with the gas you save and the unbelievable reliability it is worth every penny. Simpy put, the Corolla beats every car in its class with a possible argument against the civic. Get this car you wont be disappointed.

Good for the money

by from Richmond, VA on January 30, 2010

A corolla is a little car, but unless you have a large family to tote (we have two children)it is a good car. Parking is easy and it handles pretty good.