2008 Corolla

4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Best car

by andy from KS on December 29, 2008

We bought Corolla 2008 last year. It is simply a wonderful car. The fuel efficiency is great. It gives me 38 MPG on highway and 28-30 in the city limits. Though the interior is little cramped, comparing to the fuel efficiency it is not a problem. Until 10K the efficiency was below 30MPG, but after 10K miles its performance has improved. Exterior is good. Before buying I read a few reviews where they have experienced some strange engine noise, but I don't hear any such anomalies in my car. As time goes by its performance is improving. I love my car.

This car grows on you.

by Goodgame from Texas on February 6, 2008

I had to buy a car quick. My wife knew a guy at the Toyota dealership. Bought the Carolla mainly on reputation. Didn't do any comparison shopping. At first I was a bit disappointed and feared I had made a poor choice. But after living with the car for 6 weeks, I am feeling much differently. While the car is smaller than what I am used to, it is quite capable and comfortable on my long morning freeway commute. It is comfortable -even for a big fellow like me, and the cabin, while narrow, does not feel cramped. Getting a good seating position is a challenge, but it can be done with a little practice. The variable speed steering is cool. The steering gets a better feel for the road the faster you go. This care will not win any drag races, but power is capable, especially in the 40-70 mph range. What I have really come to like about this car is its simplicity. The controls are all basic and laid out well. Fit and finish is not fancy, but it is good. The car does what you expect it to do. The gas mileage is wonderful. So, in a way, this car has the same kind of basic charm that made the old VW Bug such a favorite. And with the Carolla's unparalled reliability record, I'm looking forward to many good years with this car. As it is now, I look forward to turning it over and getting down the road each time I slip into it. It's been a long time since I've felt that way about a car.

Just what we needed

by Snowbird from Naples FL on March 26, 2013

Needed a reliable car for spending winters in south Florida, and this is it. Bought it used this year, and expect to have it for years. Great gas mileage, reliable, and since I'm 6'2", surprising amount of room for a small car. I can actually see better out of the Corolla than from the Solara convertible I drive the rest of the year. Controls are all easy to reach and operate, the power sunroof is a great feature, and it's very comfortagble to drive. You can cruise at 80 on the freeway all day long, or struggle through stop and go local traffic with no problem.

Big car guy, also have two corollas on the side.

by Big car guy, corolla weekender from Lexington, KY on February 19, 2009

Me: I drive huge V8s as my daily drivers -currently in a Suburban- and always have. I have a 2001 Corolla that my teenager drives, and my significant other drives a 2008 Corolla "Sport." I've driven the 2008 on many 2 hr weekend trips and some around town. I find it impressively suitable for such trips. I once drove it on a 7 hour trip and quickly began to miss my Suburban at about hour 3. The "sport" -aka "s"- handling is worth the money. It does not get quite as good gas mileage -almost negligible- as my 2001 around town, but its better on the highway. As other reviewers point out, it is "noisy" when accelerating, otherwise unbelievably quiet. It is much more comfortable than my 2001 model. My only complaints would be vision (I am short--5'5") and small size (when staring down a semi-truck in the rearview). It was sluggish up the extremely windy mountain roads, but nothing you wouldn't expect. So if you mostly drive around town and maybe occasionally make a few hour drive, this could be a great buy.

very practical

by Atoyot from Chesapeake, OH on September 17, 2013

it's been a great reliable car; I think my problem was the fact that I didn't get a more upscale vehicle. I bought the CE. I hate road noise, and the seats are not good for any distance riding not adjustable enough. next time around I will be more cautious of what I buy. it has great room in the trunk, I have hauled all kinds of stuff that I never would have dreamed would fit! great gas mileage its a 5 speed. 30 city 40 highway, and I have checked it many times.

Excellent car

by Sam from Indianapolis on November 20, 2007

Good mileage (30mpg), quiet cabin (city street driving), good sound, good visibliity, excellent manuvering, good acceleration, automatic transmission smooth and quiet

Disappointing

by azenergizer from Phoenix on September 19, 2007

The first thing I noticed was how little you get for your money when you buy a Corolla. On the test drive, the car was very noisy especially on the highway and the steering/handling was terrible. It's very unstable and in my opinion its unsafe. In addition to that the engine rattled somewhat like a diesel. Pros: Standard transmission is smooth and easy to use. It also gives you more power over the automatic. Roomy trunk and back seats fold down. Cons: Overpriced, no standard side/curtain airbags, no traction/stability control, noisy, unstable on corners and highway driving, AC isn't as cold as needed in Phoenix.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great mileage

by Geoffro from Wausau, WI on November 30, 2010

I bought this car new, and it was rated at 37 mpg highway. I commute to/from work about 70 miles a day, and in the summer months, I regularly get 40 mpg - approaching hybrid cars. This little car is a great commuter car - and also is comfortable with a couple passengers. For what I need, this car does it. I'm at 65,000 miles now, and besides recently replacing the tires and general maintenance, I've had to spend nothing extra. I expect to drive this little one into the 300k range, if not further.

BEST CAR EVER

by ken enterprise car from columbus,oh on August 14, 2010

"Totally reliable, powerful, comfortable, stylish and economical! I have enjojyed this car thoroughly and felt like a queen driving it. I've been to New Mexico and up and down the state of California in style and comfort. What more could you ask for?"

Ancient design, cramped, with unrefined driveline.

by Clifford D. P.E. from Chaotica, AZ on December 13, 2007

Ancient design short on front legroom, with lots of engine noise. I bought a 2008 Toyota Corolla LE automatic because of the advertised MPG, but I probably should have test drove it overnight first. It really is short on legroom, and the curved door panel and obtrusive dead-pedal on the drivers side makes my left leg sore, having to twist, and I just can't sit comfortably. I am avg. size, but the car is just not as roomy as the more modern competitors in its class (I recently found out that this model came out pre-1999 in Japan). It is also not very refined when taking off...it seems underpowered compared to my sisters Cobalt. Like others are saying, the Corolla is much louder than other compacts, like there is no sound insulation at all...I guess that's the price for higher mileage, but it is just too expensive ($18,400 MSRP) to sound like the old 1974 Gremlin I had in high school. I would not buy again.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4 5