2002 ECHO

4.3 out of 5 starsComfort
4.3 out of 5 starsPerformance
4.2 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.9 out of 5 starsValue for the Money

More than meets the eye.

by bp in kc from Kansas City, KS on October 16, 2009

A nice little drivers car. Vision from the drivers seat is excellent in all directions. The engine is eager and has enough torque that a downshift isn't required on most hills. The four speed automatic transmission is excellent, it shifts quickly and the gear ratios are well chosen. The seat's are comfortable. The trunk large. Front leg room is an issue for taller occupants but the console is narrow and doesn't encroach on the passenger's footwell like on most vehicles. The rear seat is tight but no worse than your typical small car. Gauge cluster location was strange at first but I've come to like it. The stearing wheel never blocks your view of the speedometer. Cost of ownership is unbeatable. Mileage has ranged from 32 - 43 mpg but is typically right around 34 in mixed driving. Maintenance is minimal and easy. Parts are cheap but Toyota is really proud of their coolant ($20/ gallon proud). ECHOs aren't typically equipped with all the features that push price and desirability up but that's a real advantage when it comes to reliability and price. I will be adding aftermarket cruise control soon. I purchased mine from a private party at a fair price, there are a few out there.

ECHOnomical

by ECHOnomical from Philadelphia, PA on January 3, 2010

This is the most ECHOnomical car I have ever owned. It gets great gas mileage. Never less than 32 MPG in all city driving and up to 42 MPG on highway. My co-workers made fun of the car (and me) until gas went over $3 and I filled my tank for $30 while they were paying $50 - $120 for a full tank! The car has decent acceleration due to its light weight ~2,000 lbs. However, the light weight combined with the upright design makes it sensitive to high wind. The car is basic but very functional. One thing I miss is that it doesn't have intermittent wiper speed. It gets annoying when it is light rain, fog or mist. My car is approaching 100k miles and I only had scheduled maintenance done to this car, no unexpected repairs. A friend of mine is driving one that has over 250k miles on it and it is still running strong.

Peppy and fun yet sensible

by Small Car Fan from San Francisco, CA on February 19, 2008

The Echo gets the best gas mileage of any around - it even gives the Prius a run for its money! I consistently average over 40 mpg. It has a smooth ride for its tiny size and looks so cute! I love how light it is - that contributes to it being very peppy around town and on the highway too. There's a ton of interior space given how small it is, there's room to spread out when you're in the driver's seat, and it's very cheap to maintain - insurance is low, it has a timing chain so there's no expensive belt to change all the time, and I never have to repair it. The stereo is pretty great for a factory setup too. One other thing I appreciated when I bought it is that it is rated Ultra-Low-Emissions. On the downside, handling could be better - it leans a lot in fast curves. The interior is mostly this monotonous gray plastic, so that's the part that definitely reminds you the car is low-priced. And it tends to be noisy on the highway - this is mainly because of tire roar, so it varies a lot depending on how new the road surface is. And it gets blown around a bit by the semis on the interstate. But it's perfect for commuting and driving around town. If I had to replace it today, I just don't know what could compare. Luckily, it is only at 100,000 miles, so I expect many more years of use.

An ok car.

by Echo owner from on October 28, 2008

I've owned this car for about two years it isn't the best performance-wise (acceleration) and gets blown around on windy days because of its narrow figure, The handling is alright but the steering is a bit tough more so then my last vehicle, this car isn't for someone who is used to a full size luxury vehicle and is a bit of a tight squeeze inside for instance if someone needs legroom in the back seat i would have to move the front seat up quite a bit causing it to be uncomfortable for the driver, However the car does have quite a bit of cargo space and lots of storage inside the car, another good thing is there is allot of headroom which is good for tall people who find it hard to get in a small car and drive it comfortably. But it is a decent car it will get you from point a to point b, is very good on gas and is pretty reliable overall.

Does not recommend this car!!

Economical & has Good Headroom

by JE from Fort Worth, TX on February 4, 2011

If you're 6'5", want good gas mileage, don't have much to spend, and won't tolerate having your head touching the headliner all the time, your choices are VERY limited. In fact, the Echo is about it; nothing else has both headroom and good mileage. The Scion xB up to 2006 has good headroom also, but used ones are more expensive, and the Echo's mileage is 15-20% better. I found an '02 6 months ago and love it, so far. 36 mpg around town; up to 41 on hwy (I hear the manual trans does better), with no problems at all so far. Great car!

Best little fuel sipper

by judy from on January 23, 2009

This car has been completely reliable, in the desert, in the alpine, in the -30 C northern British Columbia interior. A great little handler on winding coastal roads, a road-gripping trooper in the ice and snow, a champ on long long road trips. Oh yeah, I'd buy her again. Low price, great fuel efficiency. If you're looking for luxury, though, look elsewhere. She has only what you need!

gas sipper

by desert runner from Desert Hot Springs, ca on December 13, 2012

bought my echo used and have loved the power from its 5 speed manual transmission also I needed to be able tow her behind my rv. Parts for this car are really cheap.I do more coasting then in gear so I installed updated- drilled and sloted rotors and best pads so I could stop real fast without down shifting and I am happy.I get 34mpg around town and 45 mpg on the road.BEST car I have ever owned for what it is made to do.

Uses car for Towing

Toyota Echo is so great!

by Schruff from Pittsburgh Pa on September 18, 2017

This car has been with me since 2002. I have been so lucky to have chosen this car. Never had a major problem except for this year..15 years.,just paid about $600 for some exhaust work.. Toyota makes awesome cars. Wish they still made them.

I've had my 4-door echo for 13 years

by Georgia Ray from Nashville, TN on June 27, 2015

My 2002 Toyota Echo has never let me down. 13 years and it's still going with over 140k miles. I've only done the usual maintenance. I'm 5'10 and initially bought it because I have plenty of headroom (I hate feeling boxed in). And I pay about half of what other people pay at the pump. I love my car. Side note: I have 3 dogs - all medium to big. I take them to the dog park in that little car... Other than coated in dog hair, the seats are still intact.

Qwarky, But Definitely Reliable

by Anie from Arizona on October 22, 2007

I actually just got in an accident while driving this car and I have to say, despite it being small - everyone survived and made it out without a broken bone - the worst being seatbelt bruises. (which we're more than thankful for) The car is reliable, fuel efficient, and highly dependable - it can definitely take the abuse of a college going student who can't always afford to get the oil changed!

1 2 3