2012 Highlander

2012 Toyota Highlander

2012 Toyota Highlander

Have You Driven the 2012 Toyota Highlander?

First choice for an SUV is a winner

by Newbie Toyota Guy from South Bend, IN on Fri Feb 10 2012

Bought my 2012 Highlander Limited at the end of October. I have always been a (fast) car guy, so the thought of moving to an SUV of any size was daunting...but with 2 kids in car seats, I had to move to something bigger. This is my first Toyota, and it will probably not be my last. I love my Highlander! Size is really perfect for me: not too big, but big enough to lug 2 kiddos (and all the stuff that comes with them) around with plenty of room to spare. There are lots of little details that I keep finding that make me appreciate this vehicle even more. The cup holders that can accommodate multiple size cups, the USB port, the dual power plugs all are nice features. I actually love their GPS. Sound system (even if it is upgraded) is just OK, but more than sufficient. Drives like a dream, and is quicker than I had expected. The "7 seat" deal is ok for short trips...but as a long term option, not real practical unless you don't have any luggage at all. Love the Bluetooth as well. I don't like how the remote start gets killed as soon as you open the door...I don't like that you have to use the smart key to have the tail gate open automatically. But other than that, I find the Highlander superior to my wife's Murano...which was a pleasant surprise for this car-lover turned Daddy SUV owner.

Switched forever to Toyota from Honda!

by Hi on Hylander >SusanStar! from Palatine, IL on Thu Oct 18 2012

Not that our our Odyssey had not performed for us but it was time for a new auto ... we researched for 2-3 months and drove several brands/models. This is our 'go to auto' & makes several year-around road trips from IL to MN so comfort & reliability are key for us. Since it's my auto ... my wish list was very long! Toyota fit the bill & made a spectacular deal with us ... plus we drove it right off the show floor! We get great great mileage, it this SUV is extremely comfortable (with heated leather seats) & has a great ride - even in the back seats! The navigation system & stereo have solid sounds plus they are easy to learn & operate. The back area is a bit smaller than we are accustom but we are getting use to the change - it's just fine! We didn't prefer the newer styles of some of the other brands we drove and Highlander offered many standard upgrades that other vehicles did not include for the price. For the price of a new auto -- we wanted to get the most for our money and we were delighted when we drove away with the best deal! We will be switching my husband's car next & we will be driving right down the street to the Toyota dealer for our next great new car deal!

Highly Recommend

by Don from Lehigh Valley, PA on Thu Jun 08 2017

I think that overall you cant beat it. I have the Limited version and its luxurious, its big, it goes through snow no problem, fuel mileage is a little worse than anticipated but i think the newer ones are better on that. Looks sharp, drives well, highly reliable. One thing i would recommend is a better brake package if you do long distance or high speed driving, i put EBC on here and its near perfect now.

Toyota Highlander

by almost senior citizen from Ft Lauderdale fl on Mon Jun 04 2012

Love love love this car, great interior layout good performance and gas not bad for a car this size. It is easy to put the grandchildren into and it has a high safety rating which is important when they are in the car

2012 Highlander

by Mike from Minnesota on Thu Aug 14 2014

This Toyota Highlander compares very favorably with the Acura MDX at a significant savings. Love the comfort, ride, handling looks of this vehicle. I like Hondas too but this Highlander is way better than the corresponding Pilot in my opinon.

Can't beat Highlander!

by Rockman from Umpqua River, OR on Mon Sep 04 2017

This is an awesome SUV. So reliable. So much power. Great comfort and gets 20-23 mpg City/Hwy combined. Lots of cargo room. Comfort and quiet on the highway, yet rugged enough to get off on those back roads with ease. Not an off-road rig though. Handles FANTASTIC in ice/snow and torrential rain...all of which I've experienced while driving.

Perfect Features for US

by Toyota Enthusiast from Richmond, IN on Tue Jul 03 2012

Found the Highlander with al the features we could want, an SE package, in Indianapolis through their on-site listing and drove 1-1/2 hours to visit the dealership on Monday to test drive and put an offer on the SUV. We had experience with driving a RAV-4, but wanted something with a little more room and a little more power and towing ability - might tow a trailer in the future. Extremely pleased with the SE version which has all the creature comforts we need, cold weather package, tow-prep, and other ammenties like Blue Tooth and MP-3 that allow us to use our other devices more easily. With all the remote door / back hatch opening, universal garage door opener, heated seats, etc. we are more than satisfied with our purchase. All of the controls features are very intuitive and easy to use, and the fit and quality of finish and materials is quite nice - we like the brushed nickle look. The leather seats are also a nice option that I have avoided for years, because of the "sticky" nature of hot leather....but this is quite comfortable, and the optimal material for heated seats. I have bought Toyotas in Dayton, Ohio and Louisville, Kentucky in the past, and have found my experience in Indianapolis to be superior to all others.

Perfect for my family...

by LHall from Buford, GA on Mon May 14 2012

Test drove Lexus 350 before purchasing my Highlander Limited, it drives better, more space, more options...just missing the Lexus logo...oh well I'll have to live with that..happily:)

Great for kids

by Maryville from Tampa, FL on Mon Jul 23 2012

We love our 2012 Highlander Limited. Comfortable ride and very nice features. Not good mileage but acceptable.

reliable and comfortable

by suv lover from california on Sat Aug 11 2012

Nice ride, sporty look, great design! Vehicle gets great mileage on trips. I would recommend this vehicle to others. Controls are easy to adjust.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2012 Toyota Highlander

Editor's note: This review was written in November 2011 about the 2012 Toyota Highlander. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2012, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

If you're looking for a three-row crossover, the 2011 Toyota Highlander is as sound a pick as you can get. It's affordable and it has a quiet, comfortable ride with a family-friendly interior.

Even as newcomers like the Ford Explorer and Dodge Durango face off against the Highlander and the Honda Pilot, I still find the Highlander a capable underdog. If you opt for the V-6 engine, it performs as well as the rest, too.

I tested a brand-new 2011 model with... Read More