Model Details

2012 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

Average based on 39 reviews

Good SUV

by from Denver, CO on February 3, 2013

Very comfortable - I like that heavyish comfortable drive and this SUV provides me that. I like everything with the styling - I don't think there is anything I would change. The only complaint is that the tires - Toyo tires - though super quite and nice, aren't easily replacable - you don't get them easily. Also, these are extremely expensive + somehow attract all the nails in the zone where it is not reparable :) I am not sure if anyone else faced same issue. This SUV is a very reliable - very comfortable - powerful vehicle. I have travelled from Denver to Yellowstone and back, Denver to Vegas and back, fully loaded i.e. with me and my wife, our 2 kids and my parents. Packed and it performed. Pulled easily through the hills - negotiated the curves and was easy in vegas streets and did a bit of off-roading in yellowstone - ALL GOOD

Solid Value

by from maine on November 2, 2011

Very pleased with the overall performance and features of our new 2012 Toyota Highlander. Perfect for a busy family with three active children who plan to take trips along with daily life. Cost was a little more than competitors, but you get what you pay for in quality of drive and comfort.

The best car I've owned

by from Talladega, Al. on October 6, 2012

I had owned a couple of Buick Park Avenues (2000 & 2003) and completely enjoyed the ride. When I went to replace it one of the things I looked for was the comfort of the ride. The Highlander rides and handles as good or better than my Buick. I've only put a little over 2000 miles on it, but I've enjoyed each mile. I'm getting an average of about 23 mpg, mostly highway miles. As you can tell I'm very pleased with the Highlander. I will say that not all dealerships are the same and you need to check out more than one.

GREAT

by from mississsippi on October 22, 2011

My wife wanted this vehicle and upon reseraching it and talking to current owners I agreed best value for money.

Switched forever to Toyota from Honda!

by from Palatine, IL on October 18, 2012

Not that our our Odyssey had not performed for us but it was time for a new auto ... we researched for 2-3 months and drove several brands/models. This is our 'go to auto' & makes several year-around road trips from IL to MN so comfort & reliability are key for us. Since it's my auto ... my wish list was very long! Toyota fit the bill & made a spectacular deal with us ... plus we drove it right off the show floor! We get great great mileage, it this SUV is extremely comfortable (with heated leather seats) & has a great ride - even in the back seats! The navigation system & stereo have solid sounds plus they are easy to learn & operate. The back area is a bit smaller than we are accustom but we are getting use to the change - it's just fine! We didn't prefer the newer styles of some of the other brands we drove and Highlander offered many standard upgrades that other vehicles did not include for the price. For the price of a new auto -- we wanted to get the most for our money and we were delighted when we drove away with the best deal! We will be switching my husband's car next & we will be driving right down the street to the Toyota dealer for our next great new car deal!

4 Cyl Highlander

by from Ashland, Ohio on September 7, 2012

We bought the base 4 cylinder Highlander with the cold package. On the negative side the fabric used on the seats stains easily & is hard to clean. Also, the manually adjustable driver's seat has limited settings & no adjustable lumbar. On the plus side we have gone 15,000 miles with absolutely no problems! Although salesmen discouraged us from getting a 4 cyl., we have not had an incident with lack of power. Yes it is a little noisier & shifts more often but getting 21 mpg in town & 25+ on the highway is a big plus. If we were buying again we would get the tech package with the upgraded seats, outside temp guage & other goodies we miss from our 2004 Sienna.

A great road car

by from Galveston, TX on February 14, 2012

My 2012 Toyota Highlander is a terrific road car. It is responsive, relatively quiet, and very comfortable. Gas mileage is acceptable. Performance is outstanding.

Not the Toyota of Old

by from Midwest on July 5, 2014

I have driven over 1 million miles. I have owned many vehicles. I must say most have been a disappointment including this 2012 Higlander. I owned a 2009 Highlander and it was the best vehicle I owned. But, this 2012 is completely different. The cabin is far from quiet. The seats are stiff and not well bolster. If you have long legs, the driver seat does not bolster the leg well. The electric steering motor in the steering wheel makes noise if you turn the wheel fast. The plastic under the car makes noise if at the right speed and right wind direction. Overall, not toyota quality more like US quality. Might be because they are now made in the US.

First choice for an SUV is a winner

by from South Bend, IN on February 10, 2012

Bought my 2012 Highlander Limited at the end of October. I have always been a (fast) car guy, so the thought of moving to an SUV of any size was daunting...but with 2 kids in car seats, I had to move to something bigger. This is my first Toyota, and it will probably not be my last. I love my Highlander! Size is really perfect for me: not too big, but big enough to lug 2 kiddos (and all the stuff that comes with them) around with plenty of room to spare. There are lots of little details that I keep finding that make me appreciate this vehicle even more. The cup holders that can accommodate multiple size cups, the USB port, the dual power plugs all are nice features. I actually love their GPS. Sound system (even if it is upgraded) is just OK, but more than sufficient. Drives like a dream, and is quicker than I had expected. The "7 seat" deal is ok for short trips...but as a long term option, not real practical unless you don't have any luggage at all. Love the Bluetooth as well. I don't like how the remote start gets killed as soon as you open the door...I don't like that you have to use the smart key to have the tail gate open automatically. But other than that, I find the Highlander superior to my wife's Murano...which was a pleasant surprise for this car-lover turned Daddy SUV owner.

Best SUV

by from Castle Rock, WA on September 10, 2012

We purchased our Highlander 2 months ago. It's my wife's car and she loves it. No problems or recommended changes. She loves the way it handles.