Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2008 Prius

2008 Toyota Prius

2008 Toyota Prius

Have You Driven the 2008 Toyota Prius?

2008 Prius

by Clambo from southern RI on Fri Mar 09 2012

I bought this car with 15k miles on it in 2009. I'm pushing 75k miles now, and I love the car. It averages around 43 mpg during the winter, and is now around 46 during the summer, which I attribute to the winter gasoline blend. early in its life, I was getting 47-48, and once got 500 miles on 10 gallons. I mostly commute with the car, 60 mi/day on the highway.The Prius gets around 43 now under that condition, but improves to the high 40s if I'm running under 60 mph. I have calculated that with gas at $3.50, and going 24k miles per year, I'm saving $500 a year in gas when compared to a conventional Honda Civic getting 35 mpg. It's a great highway car, and has no problem maintaining 75 mph+ on trips down to PA and VA. It maintains speed over mountains. I love the car. very comfortable, good ventilation, interior finish. Very spacious rear leg space. I do my own oil changes - good setup for filter and oil replacement. No repairs thus far. My only complaint is rear visibility with the sloped back roof. Backing out of a parking spot, and lane changes require extra vigilance. It has the rear video, which is OK - I got it because I wanted an iPod plug. I definitely recommend this car.

One year later...

by More MPG from Newark, NY on Mon Dec 12 2011

I've put 27k on my '08 Touring in the past year. I use it as a daily commuter, and our family of four took it on a 3500 mile trip through the Appalachians - enough power but a little tight on space when fully loaded for the trip. Overall, I made the best choice I could've made - it's been flawless mechanically, no nit-picky items have needed attention (i.e. excellent integrity, unlike my wife's Montana!), and mileage is over 47 in summer, 43 in winter. Handles well in the Upstate NY snow, costs about $40 to fill up, and it's good for over 450 miles per tank. The gas companies hate me! The savings in fuel costs alone more than pays for the monthly payment. Oh, did I mention it's a PZEV??? 'Cause it's not just about saving money. It's a very low level polluter to boot. And gunning it from a traffic light, while not earth-shattering, will surprise alot of other drivers, and you don't feel guilty doing it. The battery and continuously variable tranny work well with the little 4 cylinder. This car is an engineering marvel. The technology is proven. What are you waiting for? Take a trip, buy the kids some new cloths with the $$ you'll save - don't waste it in the gas tank.

Great Value

by segarider from Brunswick, GA on Wed Jun 24 2015

I bought a used 2008 Prius with 70,000 miles on it five years ago. It now has 233,000 miles on it and I haven't done anything except oil changes and new tires. This is my second Prius and I will get another when this one dies. The ONLY problem I have encountered is replacing the headlights. The high beam filament never breaks but I have replaced several because the low beam breaks. I am unable to replace a simple headlight bulb because of where they are placed. My mechanic hates to replace the one of the driver's side because he has to remove the entire fuse box to reach it. It tears me up to pay a mechanic for an hour's labor to replace one headlight bulb!

Prius seems worth it

by Frugal fanny from CT on Thu Jun 24 2010

I was a bit skeptical about the Prius but after 3 weeks of ownership I'm pleased. It's amazing how it motivates you to drive efficiently. Averaging 48 MPG on first 4 tanks. feels like a fast golf cart..i like that. Love the room in the back seat and love the hatchback. It is not particularly comfortable for the driver, but only notice on long trips. Kids LOVE the touchscreen. So far, no buyers remorse. It's amazing how you feel when the gas tank is only 11.5 gallons and you go 500-600 miles.

Now is the time to go HYBRID!

by More MPG from Rochester, NY on Mon Mar 07 2011

After passing up a used Prius for my last two purchases, I finally followed my gut instinct. The price of gas isn't going down in the long run and my commute isn't getting any shorter. My '08 Touring edition has plenty of room for me and my stuff, and the family when needed, including the dog. It's been rock solid dependable, does well in the snow and averages just over 40mpg in winter, even better if I stay off the interstate. The steering wheel controls for climate, audio, etc. are handy and the video display touch screen operation is well thought out. The back-up camera has saved the cat more than once. Continuosly variable transmission is smooth and takes the chore out of finding the right gear - important with a small output engine. Sure, it has that "love it or hate it" look, and gets buffeted around in crosswinds more than my previous 2 ton cars, but they're sacrifices I'll accept to get twice the mileage. Overall, if you don't need a behemoth, or can no longer afford one, it's time to consider a Prius. With ultra low emissions - how cool that the engine turns off while coasting or at a stop - you're helping clear the air, too.

Great Car/Greater Mileage

by Gary from Indian Wells, Ca on Sat Jun 13 2009

Following up my review on 1-12-09. My mileage has continued to climb. Put a K&N air filter in my Prius prior to my trip to Orange County. Best mileage before was a great 54.7 on my trip to Santa Monica. With K&N and now 21,000 miles broken in, I got an amazing 64.3 mpg. I averaged 70+ mph and of course had some stop and go. This is Southern Ca.. Not one problem with the car and love it more than ever. Use to make fun of it and anyone driving one. Not now!!!

Proofs in the pudding

by prii lover from Marysville, CA on Thu Feb 02 2012

It is really spacious and deserves to be compared to midsized sedans. I am impressed everyday I drive my 26 mile round trip commute. I average 48 mpg, not up to 40 mpg as some of the car companies are advertizing. I am also happy that the only hybrid made today that beats my mpg is the newer Prii. I was filling up a lot more and for a lot more money with my other autos. I recommend this vehicle to any one who is looking to save money

BEST CAR EVER!

by Prius lover from Baltimore, MD on Mon Dec 20 2010

I bought my 2008 Toyota Prius. It's the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot. It's very quiet, reliable, and spacious. I didn't think the trunk would be so spacious and have so much storage space in it. I've had a hatch back before, but I love this type of hatch back. I love the key-less alarm on the car, and how I can leave my keys in my pocket the whole time. I don't think I'll ever own a different car again.

Rear End Collision Experience

by Just got smashed from New Jersey on Fri Apr 25 2008

I had my 08 Prius for 8 days when I was in a major 6 car accident on an interstate during rush hour in New Jersey. A large tractor trailer hit the vehicle behind me, pushing him into me. One week was all I had to drive this, now its in the shop. So heres my personal experience with how the Prius held up. It was a rear collison. The rear cargo area was crumpled. Bumper detatched. HOWEVER.... If there were passengers in the rear seats, they would have suffered minor injuries if any at all. Assuming they were wearing setbelts. I only suffered minor soft tissue damage to my neck. The tires did not even puncture. I loved the car up until that point, and considering its compact size and being involved in a bad accident, I would HIGHLY reccomend this regarding safety. Hopefully, I will get it back good as new soon!

the best all-around car on the road

by no1tarheel from Norwood, NC on Mon Aug 20 2012

My prius is a dream for mpg, and all of the rest of its feathers. a real pleasure to drive. It increased my gas millage by 2/3. And paying for it's self with the savings.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 12

Our Take on the 2008 Toyota Prius

I've returned to the Toyota Prius four years after my initial review, and it's still more than viable despite its age and all the other hybrid models that have come since — including a hybrid Camry. Its excellent reliability certainly hasn't hurt, and the Prius owes no small number of its sales to states like California and Virginia, where officials have allowed hybrid owners to drive in carpool lanes even when the driver is the only occupant. In Los Angeles, that would be reason enough to buy a car, no matter what kind it was.

My contention is that this second-generation Prius (third, if you include the original, which wasn't imported to the U.S.) will take its place among names like Model... Read More