Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2008 RAV4

2008 Toyota RAV4

2008 Toyota RAV4

4.5

Have You Driven the 2008 Toyota RAV4?

Fantastic family and tow vehicle

by Tonyride from Central NJ on Fri Sep 24 2010

We got the RAV4 V6 AWD for our expanding family and to tow our camper trailer. The 3500 lb. towing capacity pulls our camper with ease and it has plenty of room inside for all of our gear. The fuel economy is amazing for an AWD V6 vehicle. We love it.

A Real Good Used Car Buy

by Also Tom from on Sat Nov 20 2010

V6, 5spd. auto, Limited : punchy engine, lots of torque, smooth shifting, surprisingly good mileage around town,uses regular fuel, feels solid except for front doors. Wish it had: speed sensing locks, heated mirrors. auto setting for headlights.

Nice Package

by Clutch Guy from Nashville, TN on Tue Mar 12 2013

After putting about 1,000 miles on our '08 RAV4 Limited (purchased with 58,250 miles), this FWD 4-cyl. has lived up to my expectations. As a family car/commuter, the 4-cyl. is entirely fine; lively enough from a standstill and cruises easily at 75. In the real world, 0-60 SUV sprints are a rarity and quarter-mile times are meaningless, so don't get wrapped up in the V6 mania unless 'fast' is your focus. The RAV is well proportioned and spacious without being an oversized 'box.' The most obvious drawback I've noticed is the limited front seat travel. Front seat legroom is barely acceptable. My 6'4" son's knees push against the passenger-side dashboard when seated normally. On the plus side, the backseat legroom is better than expected. And while I prefer a firm seat, these chairs are almost too hard, although oddly comfortable at the same time. Unlike most, I LOVE the swing open (rather than up) tailgate. It is easier to open in a tight garage and you are far less likely to hit your head on any part of it. The interior design and control layout is attractive and uncluttered. I would have preferred having the cruise control functions on the steering wheel in place of the bluetooth controls that occupy that space. And, unlike many, I think the cup holders are well placed and sufficiently sized (wrestling with a 78 oz. 'big gulp' when you should be focused on driving makes little sense to me). Long-term potential problems I've researced since our purchase may concern you, as they do me. In particular, the 4-cyl. in this 'generation 3' RAV has been cited by many owners for higher than expected oil consumption. A Toyota TSB addressed this issue prior to the '09 model year introduction. If this concerns you, I would recommend staying with an '09 or newer model. Noted shortcomings aside, I still believe the RAV4 should be on anyone's short list when evaluating a nicely-packaged, compact SUVs.

Basic Model

by Mickey from Fernley, Nevada on Tue Mar 13 2012

I traded in a 2007 Prius, that I loved. I needed something that would pull a small pontoon boat for fishing, This car has the V6 engine and will tow up to 3,500 lbs. It has great scores with Consumer Reports as well. It is also 4wheel drive,Purchased used, and as part of the deal they put on a hitch and gave me a bumper to bumper warantee for 24 thousand miles. I am very happy with my purchase, the car is nice to drive and handles well . Also like the 5 speed automatic trany. four wheel disk brakes are great , and work very well. fuel economy isn't to bad around 25 mpg. and that is more then the window sticker says. It also handles well in the snow.. I would recommend this auto to anyone wanting a nice suv.

Great car.

by Bill from Chicago, IL on Thu Mar 03 2011

I love my RAV4. I traded a Matrix for it only because the RAV is easier to get in and out of and has more room. It's a great car.

Really great Suv

by 2008 Rav4 V6 owner from Gardnerville, NV on Wed Jan 27 2010

This is the first time I have owned a any kind of Toyota. I purchased this 2008 Rav4 V6 in July 2009 as a used vehicle. I was impressed the moment I sat down in the drivers seat and since owning it everyone I know has commented how nice it is. It is just the right size to hold my two Golden Retrievers in the rear with the back seat up where my last car, a smaller suv was cramped. I feel very safe in this vehicle, the acceleration and handling is superb. I have nothing bad to say about this vehicle. I have had no accerleration problems that have hit the newer models over the last two years.

Dependable transportation with cheap interior

by jsalis57 from Columbus on Wed Nov 16 2011

We have had our Rav 4 since new in 2008 and have yet to have any mechanical problems at all after 65,000+ miles. Mileage and performance is good with the 4 cylinder, handling is crisp for a SUV. I was concerned a little about the large back door but it really works well for loading our dogs in the back with the garage door in the closed position. With our normal sized 2 car garage, we could not load the dogs with a vertically opening tailgate that other SUV's have. As far as the interior is concerned, Toyota really got cheap with the Rav 4. Hard, easily scratched, squeaky plastics are everywhere. Makes me feel like I am driving a cheap throw-away car. Such a shame because it seems like this is the direction Toyota is heading as well as other manufacturers with the plastics in their interiors. Maybe it is the result of their efforts to make more of their cars recylable, which is commendable, but really? Does it need to feel that cheap inside? I would recommend this car to others based on the drivability and reliability but if you want to feel quality for the money you spend while sitting inside you may need to look elsewhere.

2008 RAV4 SUV review

by new RAV4 owner from Green Bay on Mon Feb 13 2012

Excellent value and reliability all around. My only nit so far is the noisy interior back trunk covers and how loose fitting they are. They constantly rattle on rough pavement but I'm slowly silencing them with cloth furniture runners. Great gas mileage, performance, and handling. I have a different opinion about the dealership I dealt with however...

in general

by picky about options from Middle Michigan on Mon Sep 08 2008

Not a 4 wheel drive, well only up to 25 mph kicks out, should go to 50 mph, should have been told by dealer found out after reading owners manual, needs mileage meter, memory seats, dual power seats, and auto lights on, but for the most part great car, hold on to the steering wheel if a V6, cars a rocket. Bought the limited V6 and right out of the box 26 mpg highway, the spare on rear is a little tacky, would buy again, seats no problem and I have very bad back. Wife says fits her better than the Lexus ES she had

Speed Racer SUV! : )

by BuyToyota from New York on Sun Jun 01 2008

We just got this RAV4 Limited with the 6 cyl. After having it a month both my husband and I love it. For us it is VERY comfortable, MUCH more than the CRV we test drove. The car has a lot of pep, much more than I thought. The engine is quiet and has great acceleration. It has a lot more room than the old body style. I love the blue tooth feature. It is great to just hit a button on the steering wheel and make a call safely. That is a great feature. I do agree with others that this SUV should have a navigation option. I also would have liked power seats for the both the driver AND passenger. Still it is a GREAT little SUV and we are very pleased!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Our Take on the 2008 Toyota RAV4

Editor's note: This review was written in October 2006 about the 2007 Toyota RAV4. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what details are different this year, check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

The compact SUV segment is perhaps the most competitive division in the automotive industry today. That means consumers have more models to choose from than ever before. Toyota's RAV4 was completely redesigned for 2006 and offers a more masculine look than in previous incarnations, although that alone doesn't push it to the top of the heap.

Toyota has a lot going for it with its new RAV4. There's tons of cargo room, ergonomic controls... Read More