2001 Jetta

3.4 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Great little Car

by Tomkat from Rhode Island on January 29, 2012

Just bought this used for my daughter. Great car - I have driven this and feel completely confident of her safety and comfort. It holds tight to the road, the interior fully loaded - I couldn't ask for more.

Excellent Value

by Ms. Fahrvegnugen from Chicago on June 26, 2006

I purchased a used 2001 VW Jetta GLX VR6. It came with EVERY imaginable option available. Automatic rain sensing wipers, leather, wood grain, heated seats, sunroof, monsoon stereo. It's like they crammed some super expensive luxury automobile into this easy to handle car. The engine is awesome and responsive, even after 59,000 miles. It only needs an oil change every 5,000 miles. It gets great gas mileage and is extremely comfortable on road trips. It is extremely well insulated and road noise is unnoticeable, plus the monsoon stereo system is wonderful. I put on some classical music to really put it through it's paces and it's as clear as a bell even if you turn the volume way up it doesn't distort, same with bass heavy music like rap, hip hop and pop. I'm going to drive this car until the wheels fall off. I wish i would've bought it first. I have been trying to convince everyone to buy a jetta now.

TDI IS THE BEST

by ace from CHICAGO,IL on October 7, 2010

YOU GOTTA MAKE SURE THE TRANSMISSION IS OK IF YOU'RE BUYING AN AUTOMATIC ONE. THEY SUPER NICE CAR FOR THE MONEY IFYOU BUY IT USED. ALWAYS HAVE YOUR CAR MANTAINED AND YOU WONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. THE TDI HOLD THEIR VALUE 10 TIMES BETTER THAN A REGULAR JETTA BECAUSE YOU CAN DRIVE THEM FOR OVER 350,000 MILES IF YOU TAKE CAR OF THE CAR

My first car...

by Jackwagen from Chicago, IL on May 12, 2012

I've been driving this car for four years now ever since I turned 16, and love every minute of driving it. I have the VR6 model and man can this thing drive. You might think this car would be on the slower end with only 174hp, but this thing moves. VW wants to make a car that responds well to the driver, and they give you just that with about 180 lbs.-ft of torque. Whenever a friend drives they notice immediately that the gas is very touchy, and usually why I don't let friends drive in the first place. Friends also notice the "crayon" smell, and honestly I love it. It gives the car a new car smell, and I'm surprised to see some people complaining about it (unless they're having health issues due to the smell then that's understandable). My friend's impressions of the car in general: they think it's a much newer model than 2001 and usually can't believe it's an 11 year old car. As far as maintenance this car can be expensive to repair, but honestly if you wanted a car that was cheaper to repair you shouldn't have bought a German car in the first place. This car has NOT ONCE broken down on me. EVER. So I consider it reliable. Take care of this car, and it will last. It's really fun to drive as well.

fun car to drive..but lots of money to maintain

by do your research from Rhode Island on September 25, 2011

I own a 2001 Jetta glsVR6 automatic transmission. I bought it in 2006 with about 72000 miles. I was the 4th owner and I understand why. It is very fun to drive,It has a great sounding engine,and very comfortable inside. On the downside it has a very tight engine compartment so alot of mechanics in my area don't want to work on it and the dealerships tend to be on the expensive side or you go in for one thing to be fixed and they find 5 other things that need to be repaired. I have spent more then my fair share to keep the car running and in top shape. Friends have told me to trade it in but I just love driving the car too much. The only way I get rid of it is if the engine goes. It has 117243 miles on it know and hopefully it last more many more

2001 Jetta TDI

by Al the car man from Lansing MI on November 27, 2012

I just got this car from my aunt, and she bought it new. My 01 Jetta now has 282,000 miles! I love the Turbo on this diesel engine! Over the years of my aunts ownership it has been an expesive little car. From brake boosters to intake manifold to an oil pan. The original automatic transmission just went out and $800 later runs like new. I still get mid 40's MPG and love that. It is a great college car and hope it lasts till i graduate!

'01 TDI Still Going Strong +275k Miles

by Butterfutts from Suffolk, VA. on March 14, 2015

I purchased this TDI in July '01. Its main purpose is the daily 100 mile commute round trip. It's a 5spd TDI GLS. Features included Leather, electric windows, electric locks, heated seats, monsoon 8 speaker sound system, A/C and steering controlled Cruise and stereo controls. Ever since purchasing this Mexican built TDI, I have documented all maintenance and fuel fill ups with calculated fuel mileage.. Projected EPA fuel mileage was 42/49, city/highway. I have always received better than 44mpg. When the mileage was lower than 46, I knew it was either tire pressure, driving habits or clogged EGR valve and or cooler. This has only happened twice, prior to adding Lucas fuel additive that cleans the valves. Through the years I have always used Michelin tires, MXV4, H rated, V rated and now Premier A/S H rated. Only with the Premier did the mileage drop to 46 consistently. When I had the V rated MXV4, I had the tire pressure at 40psi. I was receiving mileage for highway close to consistent 51mpg. But the ride was too rough. This car has had failures, window regulators, alternator bearings, A/C leaked. But only the window regulators failed prior to 100K miles. Both the A/C and the alternator bearings failed after 240K miles. I have kept up with the maintenance and not had any problems other than age issues. This car was built so well that only the interior console is the issue in my mind. Great idea, poor design. Electrically, the clock spring on the air bag on the steering column failed. The dealer fixed it . As for the leather, only the driver seat shows minor creasing. As for my driving habits, usually on long rides, roughly 500 per week, with exception to a ten month span when I drove my truck. As for the snowy conditions, the front wheel drive works well. Currently, I believe I need to look into replacing the injectors. At 275K, who can complain...

We love this Wagon !

by Skippy from Tualatin Oregon on January 19, 2009

3 kids 2 dogs we love sking hiking and camping. Over 100,000 miles with nothing more than breaks, tires and regular oil changes. We bought it used and now our oldest is going to drive it away to college - so were on the look out for another.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

i love my GLX VR6

by mmmerman from fremont, ca on August 9, 2008

i've had this car for almost a year now and have had NO trouble at all. i love the way it looks. i have the double 5-spoke 17" rims that look amazing. the interior is great! sunroof is amazing and quiet. mine is fully loaded and i love every feature it has. down to the automatic windshield wipers. just turn them on and you don't have to fiddle with them at all. they go with the speed of your car and the intensity of the rain. AMAZING! the only issue i have is the gas mileage. if i drive 45 in the city and 70-75 on the freeway i get around 16.5 mpg. not great. but i've been getting around 19-21 by driving slower. so i guess thats ok. otherwise, i LOVE my car.

go for the 2.8L

by lucky cam from Modesto CA on October 2, 2011

I drove a couple, and ended up getting the GLS VR6 This is a 2.8L V6 full leather, sporty and very fun car, can be dressed up or down, looks good next to a BMW 3 series or Mercedes C Class, or next to the Nissan and Honda racers.. Love the car

1 2 3 4 5 6 7