2006 Jetta

2006 Volkswagen Jetta

2006 Volkswagen Jetta

4.2

Have You Driven the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta?

More Miles for the $$$

by InLuvWithMyDiesel from Augusta, KS on Mon Apr 26 2010

The Jetta 2006 TDI model is a wonderful car! It is feature-packed and has no major flaws. I owned a 2002 model with 180,000 miles before I replaced it with this 2006. Neither vehicle needed any major maintenance whatsoever! And I can't say enough about the gas mileage. The 06, under normal, unmodified driving gets 44 MPG easily during my daily 40 mile round-trip commute. If you go a little easier on the gas, and coast to your stops, you can easily achieve 55 MPG!

Good quality for a fair amount of money

by Chris from Houston, Texas on Tue Apr 05 2011

One thing I have to say is that when you drive a German car, will be hard to go and drive another car from an other country. I purchase this Jetta 2.5 L as work horse, commuter. I purchase it with 77,000 miles. I have now 103,000 miles, have done two service according inspections and one warranty call back on the transmission valve. I make in a year around 30,000 miles on the road, and no issues at all. The only not happy side of it is that the noise insulation could be much better, however this depends as well on the kind of asphalt on the road, plus the type of tire you are using. Gas mileage is just great, according manufacturers specification should be 29 miles per gallon. I do that on combination city and highway. On my many highway trips between Houston and Baton Rouge, I was able to bring even 34 miles per gallon. This is just a great car. you have good comfortable seats, the driver seat can be adjust in many ways and heights! If you have the chance do a test drive!

Great little car with 210k miles

by Adrian from New York City on Sat Feb 27 2016

I bought this car in 2006 and have since put over 211,000 miles on it. I have the manual 5 speed and have driven it across the country at least 5 times, with another 7-8 trips up and down the eastern seaboard. Never had any major problems, although sometimes the check engine light comes on and some of the interior electronics have shorted out. In the past few years I've had to replace the headlight lenses as they became fogged. As long as you replace the battery, sparkplugs, oil and tires when needed, this car will serve you well. I love the transmission, ease of use, and reliability. I also like the interior - no frills, just what you need and well designed. Even with a smaller engine it has good acceleration and is fun to drive. I will probably keep the car for sentimental value and upgrade parts piece by piece in order to pass it on. Looking forward to cracking 300k miles with this car.

BUY NEW with A LONG WARRANTY

by Big D from Orange County, CA on Tue May 29 2012

I bought my 2006 GLI after reading the reviews and thinking only the negative reviews were for the 1 in a 1,000. My car needed a thermostat and brand new a/c compressor a week after I bought it with only 76k miles. The car get decent gas mileage on the highway but better in the city. It is fast and you will be doing speeds of 89 before you notice the cop in your rear view mirror. The seats are uncomfortable if you plan on taking this car for a long drive. The car has AMAZING features for the price but you will pay for those too. I do not recommend a VW GLI unless you sell it after your warranty runs out.

Does not recommend this car!!

Love my cute Jetta GLI

by Lisa from New Jersy from Towaco Newjersy on Sat Sep 07 2013

My Parents purchased my white Jetta GLI as a gift because my 2003 Volvo s60 was totaled while leaving college one after noon. To start I love my Jetta to death and I am a VW girl I didn't exactly know what GLI even meant until my bf told me what a GLI is. I do have a heavy foot being a jersey gal and I feel my Jetta can definitely keep up on how ever I drive it . my favorite features are the sunroof, the GLI leather seats I do recommend this and I will keep my Jetta for as long as I can!

Pretty good car

by UA777 from Crown Point, IN on Mon Jan 19 2015

I bought it (2.5 value edition) brand new in February 2006. I had few minor problems during warranty period but nothing major. Almost 9 years later I have 87000 miles on it. I do all maintenance myself and so far I was able to fix everything myself (i have no mechanical background but I`m pretty handy). I called dealer few times to compare the cost of the service and the prices they charge are insane. It`s a pretty good car. Looks good. No rust after 9 years. Interior problems which I already fixed: -headliner material is shrinking exposing glue on the edges (cosmetic) -on driver side window and mirror controls are peeling off (cosmetic) Exterior problems: -led turn signals built into mirrors stopped working (common problem-cheap to replace with aftermarket ones) Mechanical problems: -purge vent solenoid ($25 part) -radiator fan (small one) stopped working but after I took it apart it is working again -broken vacuum line from the engine to brake booster (easy fix but part was $90) -front passenger side wheel bearing I take very good care of my car and it is a pretty good car in my opinion. Mechanical problems happen and will always happen. It`s not a big deal if it`s not something major. So far my problems were very minor and I hope it`ll stay that way.

Diesel version is very reliable - best gas mileage

by German car fan from Los Angeles, CA on Thu Aug 14 2008

I don't ever write reviews but the diesel version of this vehicle is worth raving about. THIS IS NOT A SMALL ECONOCAR: 1) THIS ROOMY CAR WILL FIT FULL-SIZE PASSENGERS IN FRONT AND REAR; NOT LIKE A SMALL CAR. THIS CAR HAS A DEEP BIG TRUNK. THIS CAR SAVES MONEY: 1) MPG IS HIGHER THAN GAS CARS = NEARLY 600 MILES BETWEEN FILL-UPS; 2) DIESEL CARS LAST 100,000 OF THOUSANDS OF MILES LONGER THAN GAS CARS; 3) THERE ARE NO EXPENSIVE HYBRID BATTERIES TO REPLACE IN THE FUTURE; 4) OIL CHANGES ON A DIESEL ARE EVERY 10,000 MILES VS. EVERY 3000-5000 MILES ON A GAS ENGINE; 5) LOWER INSURANCE PREMIUMS DUE TO HIGHLY RATED CRASH TEST SAFETY SCORES. 6) NO CALIFORNIA SMOG TESTS (EVER)!

Volkswagen Jetta

by Oen from Harrisburg, PA on Tue Feb 01 2011

It is a great car for the money. It is fun to drive, gets good gas mileage, and for the most part if still drives like it did the day I bought it. The finishes inside have held up very well, and (knock on wood) I have had no major repairs at all.

Love my jetta

by Keith halbfoerster from Green Bay WI on Wed Jul 08 2015

I bought my Jetta S 2.5 a few months ago and i am still i love the only issues i have with it are the drivers door sticks a little and the steal wheels but that is to be expected with the basic model, it is so much fun to drive and it looks great. also the ac is a little weak but i was told that is common with volkwagens. i plan to buy another when i pay this one off

Great car with a reasonable price

by Carl from Boston, MA on Tue Jun 06 2006

I went to my local dealership expecting to leave with an Audi A4. When the salesman steered me towards the Jetta as an "option to consider," I laughed to myself and decided to humor him. An hour later, I was signing the papers and couldn't have been happier. This is a fantastic car for a very, very reasonable price. I had a long list of features (aka, luxuries) I wanted my new car to include and the Jetta 2.5 includes them all (I got the satellite radio package) -- heated seats and mirrors, compass, leather seating, in-dash CD changer, dual-climate control, sunroof, etc. Honestly, the only unfavorable comparison I can give this to the MUCH more expensive A4 was that the manual transmission wasn't quite as smooth, and there wasn't quite as much headroom for backseat passengers. As for driving the car, it's a pleasure and a delight. with a manual transmission, I've found the car very responsive and peppy. It handles tightly in corners, with only a little bit of wobble at higher speeds (say 60 mph on a 30 mph on-ramp). When making cross-country trips, I would occasionally look down and realize I was going 90+ mph when I thought I was only doing the speedlimit!!! The car is just so smooth you simply don't notice. It's also a great multi-driver car as the power seats automatically adjust to three different presets -- two of which are linked to the two different car keys. When one driver uses a key to unlock the door, the seat automatically adjusts to that key's preset position. When the other driver uses his/her other key, the seat again adjusts itself. This can also be changed through the 3 preset buttons on the driver's seat. As for my quibbles, there are very few. Perhaps it's because I'm a tall person, but my knee keeps knocking into my key-chain if I don't remove the car key. I've also found that putting the windows down results in a little too much airflow into the vehicle (i.e., my contacts dry out in my eyes), so I usually only have the back windows and sunroof open when I want to go "al fresco." In sum, I strongly recommend checking this car out. I had dismissed it as a boring old, overpriced Volkswagen (I had my stereotypes) but once I got in and took it on a test drive, I fell in love and knew I had to have it.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Our Take on the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta

When Volkswagen launched its redesigned Jetta more than a year ago in the United States, the car and the company seemed to walk away from their core constituency of younger buyers.

The new Jetta is bigger, flashier and more expensive -- lots more expensive. Our test model, a 2006 Jetta 2.0T, had a bottom line of $29,965.

SHE: As we were in the middle of driving the 2006 Jetta, VW announced that its '07 Jetta, which goes on sale in the fall, gets a major price cut. The '06 model started at $18,530, including shipping, while the '07 model will start at $17,120. That's a hefty whack. From the perspective of someone who's owned several VWs, they had to cut the price. Do they think they're Audi?

HE: A... Read More