2002 Passat

2002 Volkswagen Passat

2002 Volkswagen Passat

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have You Driven the 2002 Volkswagen Passat?

Best car that I've ever owned

by mtbhead from San Jose, CA on Thu Dec 21 2006

Super smooth, very comfortable, very refined. VW Engineers got it right. 4Motion AWD system works amazing in the rain and snow. Monsoon stereo sounds amazing. All the extra options are really nice. The memory seats tied to the remotes are very cool - where even the side mirrors change to either Mem1 or Mem2 when you unlock the doors. Heated seats are really nice. The car has been very reliable, and fun to drive.

I absolutely LOVE my Passat

by Passat Lover from Bowdoinham, ME on Wed Jan 13 2010

I've had the 2002 Passat 1.8 manual drive since November of 2001. Bought it new off the lot. 230,000 miles later and she still purrs like a well loved cat. It is expensive to fix, this is absolutely true. However, I'm married to a shade tree mechanic and he has been able to keep up with the car. We bought the book that VW uses for the car and he's taken care of everything so far...even changing the timing belt. I've test driven the newer models, and they just feel cheap next to ol' Bessie. I love this car.

My Passat...

by loveVW from Rochester, New York on Mon May 02 2011

I loved, loved, LOVED this car!! I had it for 5 years and it had almost 200,000k on it and it drove great! It was GLS model and everything worked well. I'm hooked on VW and I got an 06 Jetta about 3 months ago and I love it as well. I tell everyone to get VW's. People say the cost of repair is high but if you maintain it, it will hardly break down....so it evens out...

It's a good car, if you can afford maintenance

by Penguinducky from Montgomery, IL on Wed Nov 18 2009

I love the performance and styling of this Passat. Although they are known to have electrical issues, so if you can pay big bucks to have it serviced then it might be a good car for you. Many shops will not touch this vehicle since it is VW, so for some issues you will be forced to go to the dealership or find a qualified german mechanic. I bought my 02 Passat GLX 4Motion used at 108k miles and the next day the engine light came on, I am assuming they erased the codes, it is an emmission problem, I needed to replace one catalyic converter, but I replaced them both instead. I suggest you replace your O2 Sensors at 120k miles, so you can get better gas mileage and before you start having emission issues. The ECU are also prone to have problems with these vehicles and they cost anywhere between 300 to 500 new, used your lucky if you can get one for $100. In my experience with these cars, they will run in limp mode before they die out on you. So if you want a performance car and not worried about the cost of maintenance then get this one.

02 passat w8 owner

by Tonyb from Metro Wash DC. on Fri Dec 04 2009

I own a 2002 passat w8 sedan for the past 2 yrs. I bought it used at 65,000 miles, and now have 95,000. I love the car but it cost $$$ to have the slightest thing fixed. My check engine turned on one month after buying it. It stays on majority of the time.The code reads small leak (emissions) and now cataylic converter-stuck off. After researching and consulting with Volkswagen themselves, I found this a common problem with the Passat w8. Outside of that, the car is a beauty. The power,handling,...the ride overall is smooth. It's def. a sleeper car. Everyone believes its just a "Passat" until they see the badge and exhaust. Most people don't even know they made a w8. I recommend this vehicle to anyone, but have your Passat checked prior to purchasing it. W8 is know to have problems that I just listed.

My favorite car

by LaceyJay from New Hampshire on Sat Sep 09 2017

I love my car. It is getting older and will keep it as long as possible. I am good to it, high mileage oil, mid grade fuel, regular service. The car gets great mileage, always runs, and is a beast in the snow. Many people think the car is years newer. Leather, heated seats and nice display. the car is AWD and a little heavy, it's better in snow than my hubby's Dodge Ram 1500 any day.

Almost love...

by Wagon Mom from Pasadena, CA on Sun Jun 08 2008

We bought this station wagon after an accident totaled our extremely reliable '95 Saturn. We love the Passat's size, we like the drive, we like the features. The pick up is a bit slow to react, but the power is there if you wait for it. What we don't like is that over the last 2.5 years it has gone in for $500-$750 worth of work to the cooling system every six months like clockwork. The dealer proved impossible to work with; life was a little better once the warranty was up and we took it to an independent mechanic - but he still hasn't worked miracles.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great, beautiful car!

by VW lover from Bellevue on Tue Mar 13 2007

Everything about it was above standard, i enjoy this car, its been fun to won, and i am glad after all the huss and puss about the car that i decided to purchase one, you cant believe everything you hear.

W8 owner

by Alex from Saint Louis on Thu Dec 22 2011

The Volkswagon Passat W8 has so far been the best overall car I have owned. It's faster than most cars on the road, awsome radio for being stock, sun roof, fog lights, and more for standard features. Serously, the only thing that it is missing is a Sat Nav (and yes I know the Europe models have). All wheel drive is awsome for people who have to drive in bad weather. Rain sensor windshield wipers that will speed up or slow down. Heated seats for those cold winter nights that are coming up. Now, the W8 does not get great gas milage but it will depend on how you drive. And a shelby mustang will beat you off the line, but hey, if you were looking for that, you would not be looking at this car review. The biggest thing with this car is to get in one and test drive it. There have been other W8 out there with no troubles and other's that broke down (depending on abuse of the car or not doing maintance). And before someone complains that the 4 cyl turbo someone reviewed above (or below) says that Passats are junk, this is not a 4 cyl buttom-of-the-line car. This is top of the line.

Uses car for Off-roading

100K miles and still going...

by prof. Pinecone from Central Michigan on Thu Mar 26 2009

I fell in love with it the moment I saw it. It is so refine that I do not mind the "not so athletic" V6 engine that is premium dino juice thirsty. However, it has a plethora of issues that call for owners attention. It is leaking after rain/snow in few places--fixed 3 out of 4. It is secreting oil around cam adjusters and head gasket--till warranty ran out dealership was able to convince me it is "oh-so-typical" of this car, then after 50K miles I was told it should be fixed ASAP for a lot of money. Driver's door lock malfunctions and window switch has brain of its own. During cold weather moisture condenses in engine oil turning it into mayo. It is expensive to own but very pleasant to drive (and nope, I am not a pistonhead everything on my car is stock, I would not dare to modify anything).

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2002 Volkswagen Passat

As Volkswagen owners who've just relinquished our off-lease $20,000 Beetle, the concept of a $40,000 "luxury" VW is difficult to swallow.

Nevertheless, the German automaker's new Passat W-8 sedan is targeting older, more affluent buyers who gravitate toward more traditional European luxury brands such as Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Jaguar.

VW is banking on the appeal of such upscale features as all-wheel drive, automatic climate control and the brand's first eight-cylinder engine to lure well-heeled consumers to the Passat W-8, which starts at just under $38,000 -- $16,000 more than the base four-cylinder Passat.

However, our test model was bedeviled by a serious bug that suggests that this... Read More