Model Details

4.4
Average based on 5 reviews

Volvo 850

by from Louisville, Ky. on November 10, 2008

Reluctantly bought one for my Son. 6 months later another driver forced him into the median and head-on into the cable barrier on I-265 in Ky. at 70 MPH!! Heavy damage to the front. From the fire wall back it was in perfect condition. He and two friends walked away UNINJURIED!! In a lesser vehicle I'm sure they would have been injured..or worse. I bought him another and and one for my 16 year old Daughter. I bought my Wife an S80. Now you know what "VOLVO FOR LIFE" means

Great car

by from Lexington, KY on May 3, 2009

I bought this car to my daughter recently. It is safe, and reasonably priced. I think that it is a great first car: reliable and low maintenance.

1995 850 T-5R is a beast!!!

by from Little Rock, AR on February 28, 2011

I did not know this car exsisted until the spring of 2009. I knew of the base and turbo model but not the T-5R trim. I was surprised of the deal I got on the car but the market was right, I had the car inspected, and cash on hand. I had to travel 1,500 miles to purchase it but it was worth the effort. The car had low miles and is the yellow color which is very rare. I did not test the car's ability until after I had the motor mounts checked and the timing belt replaced. Took the car to D-Max in Charlotte and was able to do the 1/4 mile in 14.6 seconds. No tune up, no mods. I would NOT recommend you get this car for a teenager, just to fast. I put 30,000 miles on it in about 12 months, loved almost every minute of it. Very little in the car has fallen apart. The only thing that was broken on the interior was the arm rest and the front edge of the drivers seat had a small hole worn in it (very common). The exterior was also in good shape other than the fact that the front lower spoiler was replaced with the standard turbo style, common because the T-5R lip is low and usually broken on parking spot stops. Common problems for this car include the following: A/C Evaperator leak ($1,500), Two engine mounts, PCV breather system, Headlight wiper motor. Good: The motors, when oil changes have been done, will go forever, likely over 400,000 miles. I get 25 mpg around town and 32 on the freeway (63 mph), when I drive like it matters. Seats are very comfortable, car pretty quiet, smooth ride. BAD: T-5R low profile tires are easily damaged by road, ride is sporty (not luxary soft), and did I mention that the low profile tires suck?

My First Car

by from Annapolis, MD on February 16, 2012

You know the idea "Your first car should always be an old one" well this is the car i got, its been in my family since 1995 and the repairs can get expensive, But the car is great. its a comfort to know that if i were to ever get into an accident i would most likely walk away safely. And i get great gas millage for an old car, i get 30mpg and more if i drive economically! i highly recommend this car to new car drivers.

I LOVE THAT THING

by from ATLANTA GA on May 9, 2007

I HAVE HAD MY 850 FOR THREE YEARS AND HAVE LOVED EVERY MIN. IT IS ONE OF THE BEST CARS I HAVE EVER OWNED. IT IS RELIABLE, SAFE, SPORTY, AND GOOD LOOKING. MY ONLY BIT OF ADVISE IS GET THE TURBO MODLES THE POWER IS WORTH IT, AND REMBER TO SERVICE AT A PLACE THAT KNOW VOLVO