1997 Volvo 850 Consumer Reviews

Change Year
1997 Volvo 850
Average based on 13 reviews

Things to watch out for on these cars

by from Denver, CO on August 23, 2009

For the turbo models after 100K miles: Rear main leaks $$$ to fix Turbo issues $$$ if previous owner ran the car hard. A/C issues Heating control in dash issues seat heaters not working. rear trailing arms that are bent which causes premature tire wear on outside $$$ to fix. Make sure the timing belt is replaced. If you fail to ensure this and it breaks you're looking at a $5000 engine job. Auto transmission starts to show problems around 150K miles.

best volvo yet

by from Greenville SC. on December 5, 2008

The volvo 850 is one of the best volvos ever.Never has broken down ever!!I get about 20 mpg highway instead of the promisd 30, but who cares it's a great car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Great car for 12 years.

by from Summerfield, NC on February 13, 2012

I bought my 1997 Volvo 850 used in 2000 with 29,000 mile on it. It just turned 202,000 and I've never had a major problem with it. It has never failed to start and get me to my destination. I have loved this car and wish I could buy a new one just like it. It has been the best car I've ever owned.

850VOLVO

by from mARYLAND on July 22, 2010

i LOVED MY FIRST 850 SAME AS THIS ONE NO DIFF AND I LOVE IT YOU WILL TOO.SO IF YOU TRY IT YOU WILL LOVE IT.

Owned 3 of these including a 97 R from new

by from on May 12, 2010

I bought the car because of the style. I love the 97 R the best as long as it is stock--well maybe chipped.

Volvo 850T

by from Michigan on March 6, 2010

Found this jewel on internet. 1997 with 36,000 orginal miles. By far the best car we have ever owned and we have had dozens including new. During recent snow storms wife would not take 4x4 Explorer to work and would only drive the Volvo 2 wheel drive. Forever sold on Volvo's!!!

Excellent Car for the Buck

by from on June 7, 2011

I bought my 850 three years ago and it is still running great. I only replaced the alternator which was normal wear and tear. AC and other components are like new. Great car for the buck.

The best car for a first!!

by from Florida on October 15, 2007

This type of car is my first car... and it is amazing... i dont have the wagon but i do have the sedan with the T5 engine in it and it is amazing.... very fun to drive, reliable and very safe 5 stars!...
This type of car is my first car... and it is amazing... i dont have the wagon but i do have the sedan with the T5 engine in it and it is amazing.... very fun to drive, reliable and very safe 5 stars!!!

very reliable car

by from nj on July 21, 2007

this car has no problems, its a good investment, very reliable & in very good condition, i would recomend this car to anyone looking for a good reliable car volvo's are great!

safest, most comfortable car I've owned

by from Longmont, CO on December 8, 2007

I was in a severe drunk driving accident. The police told me if I was in any other car I would have died. This Volvo saved my life, and was a blast to drive! It got fair mpg, had a quick acceleration and excellent braking and manuevering. It was heavy and low, but handled like a lighter car. It was very comfortable and sporty looking, with a spacious trunk and good sound system.