1997 Volvo 850

A dedication to the Silver Surfer 2009-2015

by from Belleville, MI on September 4, 2015

Yup! Most reliable car I've owned in my life so far. Bought her in March 3rd 2009 at an auction in Washington DC while living in the Baltimore MD area. Car had 129,000 miles on the ODO. Was an ex-California car traded in. Immediately changed the timing belt/water pump and idler pulley per recommendation of my best friend from high school days who happens to be an ASE cert mechanic. Drove her all over MD and W.VA and VA, moved down to Norfolk VA for a few months, she carried me and the wife down in style and safety, then job prospects opened up in RI, so we packed up and folded them rear seats down (can only do it in a Volvo no American car does to the best of my knowledge) loaded every thing we had in her and drove to Neuport RI. Averaging approx 27mpg with the AC on full. By now the car to some....a part of our family to us, had 143,000 miles on the Odo. We replaced 4 tires and did a complete tune up. Drove her all over MA and RI, then got news that my dad was sick up in MI., so we dropped the job in RI, found a job in MI and again became gypsies. By now our 1997 Volvo 850 GLT Turbo Sedan was christened "Silversurfer". She had been given a name! She was up in the 147,000 miles range. AC went kaput, got that fixed, and she trudged on. After a wash she shined...folks always asked "what year is the car? It looks brand new!".... Got to MI, drove her around all over my job was 45 miles from the house, so yup y'all guessed it, the mileage kept racking up. We decided to again make MI our home once again, be near family and all. After the passing of my folks, I went and bought an awd suv. American made! Wanted a Volvo but was told the XC90 had nothing but transmission and wheel bearing problems. Also was told that the newer "Ford" owned Volvo's were junk. So the wifey decided from now on the VOLVO was HERS! And Silver Surfer took her places in safety and style. At 200,000 miles we did another timing belt assembly change from the nearest Volvo dealer in the area as in SESI Volvo in Ann Arbor MI. At 212000 miles she started having issues. Volvo parts are not cheap, specially when dealer fixes. So after an electrical system check/repair (the running lights stopped working), the AC died, the sunroof stopped working (would open but not close) it was with a heavy heart we decided to part ways. So through cars.com we found my wife a 2014 CPO Ford Focus. Missing the Volvo, everyday, we swore that one day when we make more money in a paycheck we will go back to the Volvo, but will forever miss the years with the "Silver Surfer" or 1st car together as a married couple. So after my narration to y'all: 1997 Volvo 850 GLT -If I could give her 10 stars I would!!! Best car I've and we've owned in our lives!!! The car was recently sold off to one of my wife's colleagues for a $1. He shall fix her up and drive till dead! .....Best of luck our Silver Surfer, may you give your new owners the joy and safety in life that you gave us.!

Great car for 12 years.

by from Summerfield, NC on February 13, 2012

I bought my 1997 Volvo 850 used in 2000 with 29,000 mile on it. It just turned 202,000 and I've never had a major problem with it. It has never failed to start and get me to my destination. I have loved this car and wish I could buy a new one just like it. It has been the best car I've ever owned.

best volvo yet

by from Greenville SC. on December 5, 2008

The volvo 850 is one of the best volvos ever.Never has broken down ever!!I get about 20 mpg highway instead of the promisd 30, but who cares it's a great car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

850VOLVO

by from mARYLAND on July 22, 2010

i LOVED MY FIRST 850 SAME AS THIS ONE NO DIFF AND I LOVE IT YOU WILL TOO.SO IF YOU TRY IT YOU WILL LOVE IT.

Owned 3 of these including a 97 R from new

by from on May 12, 2010

I bought the car because of the style. I love the 97 R the best as long as it is stock--well maybe chipped.

Excellent Car for the Buck

by from on June 7, 2011

I bought my 850 three years ago and it is still running great. I only replaced the alternator which was normal wear and tear. AC and other components are like new. Great car for the buck.

Volvo 850T

by from Michigan on March 6, 2010

Found this jewel on internet. 1997 with 36,000 orginal miles. By far the best car we have ever owned and we have had dozens including new. During recent snow storms wife would not take 4x4 Explorer to work and would only drive the Volvo 2 wheel drive. Forever sold on Volvo's!!!

safest, most comfortable car I've owned

by from Longmont, CO on December 8, 2007

I was in a severe drunk driving accident. The police told me if I was in any other car I would have died. This Volvo saved my life, and was a blast to drive! It got fair mpg, had a quick acceleration and excellent braking and manuevering. It was heavy and low, but handled like a lighter car. It was very comfortable and sporty looking, with a spacious trunk and good sound system.

The best car for a first!!

by from Florida on October 15, 2007

This type of car is my first car... and it is amazing... i dont have the wagon but i do have the sedan with the T5 engine in it and it is amazing.... very fun to drive, reliable and very safe 5 stars!...
This type of car is my first car... and it is amazing... i dont have the wagon but i do have the sedan with the T5 engine in it and it is amazing.... very fun to drive, reliable and very safe 5 stars!!!

very reliable car

by from nj on July 21, 2007

this car has no problems, its a good investment, very reliable & in very good condition, i would recomend this car to anyone looking for a good reliable car volvo's are great!

Our Expert Review: 1997 Volvo 850