1998 S70

4.1 out of 5 starsPerformance
4.1 out of 5 starsValue for the Money

My trustworthy Swede

by My Bjorn from Penna. on March 21, 2012

I purchased my 1998 S70 T-5 in 2006. Since that time it has been driven on long trips, short hops and just for fun down the highway. I have serious spine and back issues. The seats help to reduce the pain. My Bjorn moves me quickly into traffic and has never stranded me anywhere. Plenty of room for passengers and the trunk holds quite a bit. Visibility all around is very good. Plan to keep this car for a long, long time. Great value, great SAFETY. Volvo for life.

Most reliable car i've owned

by oreo Car from on June 22, 2011

nice car great to own good on gas last for a long time nice interior great car you must have and LOVE

98 Volvo S70 Turbo T-5

by Big Mike from Moreno Valley Ca on September 10, 2010

Great car got it for a good price and it is a great running car, Volvo's tend to have electrical problems, wiring and fuses, but I haven't really experience that with this one except a headlamp issue, other than that a great buy if you get one that has been maintenanced regularly!!!

Wish they still made this model

by Harvest from Ontario, Canada on January 1, 2016

I bought this car in 01 and it had 107,000 Kms on it. It had a shattered headlamp assembly and a tie rod that needed replacement to get it certified. I have put 300,000 Kms on it since I purchased it and the only major thing I have had to replace was the catalytic converter as it failed from fatigue. This car has never let me down and always passes the emissions test with flying colors. It has cost me very little in repairs and my only regret is that Volvo no longer makes this model.

Excellent Car for Value and Performance

by Intermodal from Harrisburg, PA on April 9, 2012

Very fast, reliable and safe. With regular maintenance, this vehicle go far; I've reached 350,000 miles and it's still as quick to start and pass as when I bought it new.

Good used car for enthusiast (T5 model)

by Volvo Brad from Oklahoma on November 17, 2017

It really does pay to have good struts and shocks on these cars or ride quality will suffer, regardless avoid potholes. These cars actually handle very well having fwd. I've hardly gotten understeer throwing it into a corner and it just goes like it's on rails. Interior quality is superb leather seats have held up great and are very comfortable the seat heaters with the winter package are very nice during the cold months. I'll be honest the car doesn't look too exciting but after owning one it'll grow on you. The t5 powerplant makes a respectable 236hp but has a lot of potential for more power for not much money. Anywhere from say 270-300 is easily obtainable with a tune and an exhaust. Overall reliability is excellent. Car is fairly straightforward to work on. The only big fault in these cars is the pcv. Make sure to service the pcv every 100000 miles or it'll blow seals. I expect to have this car for at least 400000 miles and then some. I have 165000 miles with no major issues and it's been modified for a year now or roughly 20000 miles. Recently had the oil tested and there was hardly any wear in the engine.

Great Car 300K miles

by DOn the Mon from Cali on November 21, 2012

HAd my 98 s70 T5 since new. Just passed smog today with flying colors. 300k miles. I have not had any major issues at all, Regular maintaince like any care. Will buy another Vovo for sure when the wheels fall off this one!

Wow! Much better than I expected...

by RSpi from Little Rock, AR on February 28, 2011

We purchased the GLT model in the spring of 2009. I had no idea that the little turbo was so fast. I alway had a causion of turbo cars because I thought it was more to service, break, etc. but boy was I wrong. The car is so fun to drive it's a shame. I now view turbo's as a safety feature. We purchased the car for my daughter, she was about to graduate high school. Wanted to get something she could drive a few years. I like the car so much I purchased a simular model for myself. The car has the most comfortable seats of any car I have ever ridden in. It rides comfortable, pretty quite and good on gas. We have not had any real problems with it other than some maintenance that was neglicted. Once taken care of, the car has been fine. Common problems: Motor mounts and door panel material. Always replace your timing belt and PCV system. The good: Great brakes, gas milage, looks, comfort, motor reliability, spirited, safety.

The best car I have ever owned

by Doug from Westwood, California on February 23, 2010

I bought this vehicle used in 2008. i at first was reluctant because of the age of the vehicle and all. i was astonished by how it was and is in excellent shape for the year. I mean there is some wear and tear on certain things and there are a lot of general maintenance I had to do to it, but overall, it has been a great car. I have the T-5 236 horse power motor and I love it. There is one thing though and that would be whenever I punch the accelerator, the one wire comes loose from the distributor cap. I suppose that is a easy fix. Also the repair of these cars can be quite costly comparted to those of a more popular brand such as a ford or chevy. This car has a LOT of room inside both back and front seats. The power control on the window on the drivers side broke along with the panel that fits underneath the glove box on both sides. The interior could have been made better I believe, but I love the car in general. It is FAST and economical. It has 154k miles on it and the motor purrs like a kitten but is as fast as a cheetah with total control even at high speeds. Last week I got 28.5 mpg highway. The car has easy to learn instruments. I absolutely love this car!! With a car that size and power, I get that good of mileage is a miracle. Thanks Volvo for being a continued quality SAFE automobile and now fun to drive as well.

VERY HAPPY WITH MY 1998 S70 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

by EAC from Mount Laurel, NJ on July 10, 2010

I bought mine in '04 and its done a good job for me. Sure I had to get some things done at the dealer which hurt my pocket in the beginning but since then its been a very positive experience. Finding a GOOD private (non-dealer) mechanic will help tremendously to your enjoyment of this vehicle. The key is to change the oil regularly, catch issues before they get big and checks at regular intervals (tires, fluids, tune ups etc). I presently have over 178K in July 2010 and its still going strong. I have a base model, the turbo would be the only thing I would add to the engine. The only thing bad I can say is that the non-turbo engine is a bit sluggish during acceleration BUT this is a Volvo and I didn't buy it to win any races.............I plan to drive this vehicle until the wheels fall off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 2 3