1999 S80

1999 Volvo S80

$884 - $5,200  MSRP Range
1999 Volvo S80

4.5

Have You Driven the 1999 Volvo S80?

Best Car That I have Ever Owned!!!!

by Scooter from Denver, CO on Sun Apr 26 2009

This is my second Volvo S80 and the are far and away the most comfortable cars that I have ever driven. My 1999 performs well in all weather conditions and is super smooth on the road. I now have over 200,000 miles on my Volvo and it is showing no signs of stopping! The gas capacity and mileage is impressive. I like the quality of the leather and wood grains on the interior too. I would highly recommend this car to a friend. One of the best used cars under $10,000 that you can buy today!

Great Car

by Car Enthusiast from Hidden Hills, CA on Thu Nov 05 2009

This car is one of the most comfortable cars I have ever owned. Great fuel economy for a luxury car.

EXTREMELY SATISFIED!

by Luxury Nut from Denver, CO on Sun Mar 14 2010

This car has been a pleasure to own. Having own BMW, LEXUS, and AUDI over the years, it is the Volvo that I have the most respect for. The car is a rock solid performer and the comfort and ride quality are second to none. Especially on the highway, it is the best car that I have ever owned.

One of the best cars i have ever onewed

by Dan's Car from Olathe, KS on Sat Nov 08 2008

Worth every single penny I spent. Easy to maintain (regular checks at the dealership), good gas milleage, confortable and safe.

OK car

by kuladedriver from Minneapolis on Sat Apr 14 2007

I bought this car with 90,00 miles and now have 145000 miles on it. I really love the car but I would have been disappointed if I would have bought this car brand new and had to spend all the money i did to fix the suspension. The breaks on this car is outstanding but the suspension is lame, spent atleast 2 grand on it. the cars engine and transmission are pretty respectable. no serious problems yet

Undoubtedly the finest car I have ever owned!

by Distinctively Volvo from Winston Salem on Tue Oct 23 2012

Comfortable ride, stylish practical interior with lots of features, highest safety ratings, powerful turbo engine when you need it, but economical as well under normal driving conditions. I have owned BMWs, Audis, VWs Mercedes' Cadillacs, and several other vehicles in this same category and none of them quite measure up to this Volvo S80. The value for the money supersedes by far that of all the others. You can get a lot more car for a whole lot less money. If you take care of it it will take care of you and last a lifetime. You can't go wrong with this Volvo S80 T6.

Really Nice

by aerwt from columbus,OH on Fri Feb 01 2008

Awesome car. The car handled great looks awsome and I would like to own more. Best car I have ever driven and very safe.

1999 S80 Auto. 90,000 miles

by Tom9gr from London U.K. on Sun May 13 2018

I paidb�350 for the car. It has been regularly serviced by a Volvo main dealer and I have the paperwork. I previously owned a B.M.W. X5 petrol auto. and it was a money pit compared to the Volvo. I travelled to see my wife who is in prison currently and my route took me around the M25 London orbital motorway. The traffic was horrendous and the weather was even worse but the Volvo fairly flew the 57 or so miles often reaching speeds in excess of 110mph. This car is bloody unbelievable I can't fault it.I am a retired bus mechanic and I know a good car when I drive one. This one's a keeper folks. What a bargain! I would recommend it to anyone who wants to own a medium sized luxury type of motor. Long may I own it.

Comfortable but expensive

by J-dawg from Minneapolis, MN on Tue Jun 17 2008

I own a 99 S80 T6. I bought it used with approximately 80K miles and now have about 130K. I have put a lot of money into this car. While the engine, drivetrain, transmission, etc., have been reliable the suspension and various electronics have been problematic. My biggest complaint is that any repair, no matter how small, end up being really expensive. Example - my glass on my headlight cracked. You would think you could just replace the glass, but you can't. Rather, you have to replace the entire headlight assembly and they need to drop the front bumper to put it in. The part at the dealer is approx. $500 and labor around $200. So it costs me $700 to replace a piece of broken glass! There are many other examples but you get the picture. The T6 version has turbo and is reasonably quick for a large sedan. It gets decent gas mileage on freeway/highway (around 25 mpg)... though not great in the city (probably around 15 or 16 mpg). Handling could be better. Turning radius isn't great - which can be challenging when you live in the city (parking, getting in garages from alley, etc.). That said, this car is REALLY comfortable. The front seats are more comfortable than most people's family room furniture. The passenger compartment is spacious and the styling is pretty nice. Stereo has nice sound, but the turn-knob style used for certain features is frustrating. Trunk is big and back seats fold down, so you can put quite a bit of stuff in this car if you need to. Exterior styling is nice and has been copied by subsequent Volvo models (1999 S80 was the first year/car with Volvo's distinctive back-end and overall redesign). My plan is to drive this car until it dies (or a really expensive repair comes up) since I have the car paid off. I do like the comfort and it is sufficient for me right now. That said, I wouldn't buy another one... and for that fact, not sure if I would buy another Volvo unless I saw great reviews, and in particular, reliability/repair info on the make/model I was considering.

Does not recommend this car!!

Had the car for 18 years and still love it

by Chris716 from Brewster, MA on Fri Jun 16 2017

I bought this car in 1999 and did not expect to still be driving it 18 years later. It still looks good and runs well. Over the years I have had no major problems. So I plan to keep it as long as it runs OK. I have kept it garaged for most of its life so the exterior has stayed almost perfect. Considering the use it has seen, even the interior has held up well. I say below that I wouldn't recommend this car to a friend only because it is no longer being made! However, I would recommend the equivalent model that Volvo is now marketing.

Does not recommend this car!!

Our Take on the 1999 Volvo S80

You know the millineum is coming when Volvo starts thinking outside the box.

Their sedans, long known for appliance box-like styling, actually gets some some curves. Volvo has banished the box with the introduction of the S80, a replacement for the venerable S90/V90/760 series.

Unlike their predecessors, this all-new platform is front-wheel drive, making it stand out in a field of mostly rear-drive competitors.

But what it really does is stand apart from the Volvo sedans that came before it. The side front end features a protrusion with a traditional Volvo grille announcing its arrival. The sides bulge outward below the car's beltline, the greenhouse's backlight sloping gently into the trunk... Read More