2001 V70

4.6 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.2 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
3.9 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Solid, distinguished, practical, and reliable

by Lola on a Walkabout from Sacramento, CA on July 4, 2010

I previously owned a 2000 Volvo S80 T6, which although not the most reliable of vehicles, demonstrated amazing performance engineering and the legendary Volvo safety. It literally saved my skin on several occassions. The S80's final coup de grace after a freeway accident led me to buy another Volvo, but a V70 XC station wagon to accommodate my changing lifestyle and needs. I bought a used 2001 with about 89,000 miles. Other than inheriting a bit of deferred maintenance, I must say that this has been a very reliable and comfortable car. Volvo makes the most comfortable seats I've found, especially for long-distance driving. Its capacity to haul both people and materials long distances is amazing. The turbo provides great pickup. The all-wheel drive is sure footed, its braking system is good and responsive with its steering. I would not hesitate to recommend this vehicle to anyone.

My favorite

by xc lover from Middlebury, VT on February 7, 2009

I bought a 2001 XC first because it was the only comfortable seat I found for my bad back. After 85,000 miles, I have learned that it is the most comfortable car I have owned, but also extremely reliable, durable, well designed for many uses and tough. All at a reasonable price with good gas mileage for a car in it's class. I'm hoping Volvo will develop their new XC's with even better mileage as we all know the price of gas will continue to rise and when I'm ready for a new car I will want it to be another XC.

Let me tell you about my 2001 Volvo V70 T5...

by Brian R from San Diego, CA on September 24, 2011

Right off: When buying an older Volvo (older than 5 years), you need to go in knowing that you'll probably be sinking a bit of money into the vehicle. Within the first month of owning mine (I've had it for six months now) I had to replace the rear liftgate struts (2x $20, did it myself), had to have the oil pump replaced ($800, had the mech replace it), and just last week replaced the tires ($800, Eagle GTs work great!). I know in the pipe I need to replace suspension parts ($1600 - Yikes!). Also, especially with the '01 and '02 V70s you need to watch your transmission and make sure you don't start slipping. That'll be about $2000 to repair/replace. But honestly, for what I paid, I got a good deal, even with the ongoing maintenance. If you treat it well, it'll love you in return multiple times. She's spunky and I've spanked more than my share of rice rockets at stoplights with it. :) At purchase: 112,000 miles. Little bumps and scrapes on the bumper covers, clearcoat fade on the driver's side. $5200. Currently: 118,000 miles.

Scandinavian comfort and practicality on wheels

by ISOBear in Wilmington Delaware from Wilmington,DE on August 5, 2010

Bought a used 01 V70 T5 with 90 K and in 6 months, already hit 100 K , and man, I am so glad to have another volvo wagon after a couple years apart from the old faithful 740 ! And talk about luxury !!! This car has all the luxury and tons of safety features from all the airbags you can think of to the Dynamic Stability COntrol. I love it. On top of that, being on my feet at work for a good 8 hours shift, I am actually looking forward to drive the volvo and sit in that wide snugg orthopaedically design seat ! Totally relaxing and comfortable. The performance is unbelievable. Yes there s a turbo lag, but once it hits 2500 RPM, watch out for a police patrol cause you easily reach 85+ MPH in no time.It is so nice to have the TURBO and leave that moron who tailgating my car in the dust ! EAT MY VOLVO DUST ! :) It is expensive to maintain BUT it is a VOLVO. All is premium but it has always been like this since i owned the other volvos a while back. Find yourself a good VOLVO Specialist and stay away from the dealer. Maintain the car w/ synthetic oil and the car will serve you well. Oh I also get 26 MPG average on a premium gasoline. The infamous ETM problem can be fixed permanently for around $500.00 so don't that deter u from buying this car.

It Could Be Better

by Stodgy Mama from Picayune, MS on February 18, 2010

I love my Volvo, but I thought it would be more reliable than it is. My poor neglected, abused Honda Accord takes the reliability trophy. The Volvo wagon is less "hearty" than it should be - kinda like the high-strung, registered Weimaraner, compared to the overlooked old Labrador. I've discovered several recall notices and necessary software upgrades that must be performed, which make me hesitant to drive it. And the repairs are pricey, of course. The main problem I've had is a transmission "hesitation" or lurch under certain conditions. No one seems to be able to diagnose it to date.

Amazing Car

by Volvo Lover 777 from Bowie MD on February 22, 2009

I love my Volvo! Best car i have ever owned. 130k miles and still running like new, the interior is very comfortable, and roomy.

The best car ever!

by Asen from Chicago, IL on November 21, 2013

Great car. When I bought the car had 140000, three years later It has 180000 miles on it and still runs without a problem.

Great car but issues

by Agcool Car expert from Minnesota on March 20, 2016

I have the cross country model (v70xc) for over two years and have had mechanical issues. High oil pressure and transmission being the main two. Other then those issues it is a great car. Plenty of safty, cargo space, and ground clearance. I have gone though 7 ft of snow no problem. living in Minnesota we have a lot of bumps and potholes on our roads and the volvo glides right over them. I do recommand this car as long as you dont buy mine.

Does not recommend this car!!

Fun to drive despite the soccer mom looks!

by otter_grl from Rochester, NY on March 9, 2007

I bought this car used 2 years ago and surprised myself as I prefer sports cars and eco cars... that being said I also whitewater kayak.... so this car is more ecological then an SUV, handles almost as well as a sports car (much better then mushy SUVs) AND my kayak will fit inside AND I can sleep inside if I get to a campground late at night.... the comfort level for trips is Superior and the reliability is great. If they made this in a hybrid and added a stick shift I would be the first one in line! Even so I am thinking of possibly a used V50 may be in my future if the kayak fits. Love the car. I was shocked at how fun to drive this car was despite it's size. These cars are really well kept secrets. Someone convinced me to try one and I love it as much as my Acura!

Fine in some areas, so so in others

by Outback Jack from Lake Tahoe, NV on June 30, 2014

I've always driven full sized American cars so I am right at home in this relatively large, heavy car. High speed handling on corners is quite weak; comparable to a 1987 Monte Carlo. Handling in snow and on ice is impressive (despite the jive talk about its viscous coupling AWD -vs- the later Jetrag AWD). I've driven through TWO big blizzards without a hitch in this car! Caveat, this car is relatively high maintenance so dealer servicing will be pricey (not as pricey as Mercedes service). If you aren't afraid to wrench on your own car the maintenance isn't hard to do, in my opinion, for a newer car. Be aware of potential transmission issues and keep the transmission fluid CLEAN to help prevent the dreaded transmission failure.

1 2 3