2003 Volvo Xc 90

a trusted car

by from Alabama on September 14, 2007

Great car. 2.5T has all the power I have needed over the pass four years. Will buy another. Great Service from dealer. Service charges a little high but have a good feeling driving away. No problems with over 40,000 miles. Paint and interior holding up well. Had to replace tires at 33,000 miles. Use the car on dirt roads that sometimes have heavy mud and car handles it great...I just trust this car to get me from point a to b.

The Car That Saved My Life

by from Denver, CO on October 29, 2016

We happened upon a 2003 T-6 XC90 three years ago, while shopping for a used commuter car for my husband. Just for fun we test drove it, and loved it. We ended up buying it to replace my 2001 Mazda Tribute 4x4. We did have some repairs we needed to do, such as replace a few broken exterior door handles (the plastic components don't hold up well to the cold CO winters), the CV boots, and the coolant reservoir in the 3 years that we owned it. Other than that, we only had typical maintenance, such as tire replacement and oil changes. One of the reasons we purchased it was because of the high safety ratings. That paid off last week, when another driver, in an attempt to pass up stopped traffic, entered the left passing lane and struck me from the side while I was attempting to turn left. The driver was distracted and driving recklessly. She did not engage in any evasive maneuvers, as her distractions resulted in her not seeing my "big black tank" in front of her. Despite being hit by a car going quite fast, and despite the fact that my car was deemed a "total loss," to the surprise of the EMTs, witnesses, and police officers, I walked away with only minor injuries (bruised finger, sprained thumb, and whiplash). They arrived at the scene expecting to rush me to the ER. I walked away from that accident. One EMT exclaimed, "I might be in the market for a Volvo now." I replied, "me too." The safety that my XC90 provided me was well worth the price we paid for it. In the end, the insurance company estimated the pre-accident condition to be $1000 MORE than what we paid for the vehicle 3 years ago. Today, we are heading out to purchase another XC90. This time, it is a 2006 V8. I'm not sure why used Volvos are so affordable, but I am grateful, because even at nearly 14 years old, my 2003 was built safe enough to save my life.

Great car

by from Chicago on May 14, 2010

I absolutely love our XC90 T6. The performance is great, and the looks cannot be beat. We have not had any of the reliability issues discussed by others and would buy a new Volvo in a heartbeat!

Mother of 3 grown up married kids .

by from PA on February 1, 2012

Most reliable & comfortable vehicle ever owned. Used it to carry a lot of stuff with college kids moving in & out of dorms,apartments & long distance travel. Would have loved to keep it till it ran to the ground, however, our family is expanding & need a bigger vehicle LOVE IT , LOVED IT & WILL MISS IT!

2003 XC90 2.5 AWD

by from Calabasas, CA on January 6, 2017

I am the original owner of a 2003 5 cylinder AWD Volvo SUV. It has 135 Mike's on it and still in perfect condition. Great in snow, rain or anywhere. I also have a MB C300 but it has nowhere near the same comfort or performance. I keep thinking I should get a new SUV but it drives perfectly. Only repair has been a rebuilt transmission at around 110 miles a recommended timing chain around the same time. Don't know if the new ones are as good but this one is a gem.

Great road car

by from Syracuse, New York on December 23, 2012

The XC90 is a great SUV, I would put this vehicle in the class with the Range Rover & BMW for overall styling and performance. Much to my delight the gas milage isn't bad at all for an all-wheel-drive vehicle.

Needs 21st century technolog but very safe and com

by from Murfreesboro on May 14, 2017

Needs more technology for the money needed a reliable transmission, had to replace due to manufacturer needed recall, I was advised wrong transmission was installed. Expensive battery 200.00

The best car I've owned

by from New York, NY on May 13, 2010

the volvo xc90 is excellent suv car. It is very quiet and powerful. No problems and it is working perfect. Nice car and very reliable, no problems at all. I am very impresive with this car. I am very happy with it.

Waste of Money

by from Peoria, IL on May 6, 2010

Bought used in 05. Have had 4 transmissions, AC problems since the begining and still today, tires and brakes wear out fast and expensive to replace. Don't waste your money.

Most unreliable car on the market

by from AZ on December 25, 2009

Had such high hopes for this new Volvo model and was sadly disappointed right from the beginning. Two turbo's, brake system failure, transmission failures... when life gives you lemons, don't drive a Volvo, at least not this model.

Our Expert Review: 2003 Volvo Xc 90