2005 XC90

3.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Nice Vehicle

by Car Gur 317 from Maine on January 28, 2011

Bought this car new after comparing Murano, Pilot, Toureg. This car gave me the most value for the money. I really loved the seating position although my wife thought that her legs had to cant off toward the side while in the passenger seat. I used this car as a truck at times and I was never dissapointed, always hauling everything I needed. The only area of question is the gas mileage (17/23), I was hoping for better. I traded this vehicle in for a Prius when gas was $4/gallon and boy, do I miss my Volvo...'nuff said.

Fun, Capable, Family Tank

by Hampten from Raleigh, NC on September 11, 2011

If you are seeking a fun, capable, family, hauler which is well-thought out and very safety conscious (and you want to avoid a mini-van), look no further. The V8 pulls this sweede easily and it has plenty of creature comforts - music ports for the rear seat passengers, video in headrests, 7 seats, great ground clearance, good off road capability, roof rack, and above all, superb family safety. This is a vehicle which can quite literally take your family anywhere you will ever want or need to go, in safety, style and comfort. It does not have bluetooth, which is surprising in a vehicle which retailed for $52K new, but not a big deal.

Excellent Vehicle for Traveling and Comfort

by Performance Oriented Driver from Sacramento on June 14, 2007

We have had our XC90 V8 since mid 2005. It is fully loaded with Navigation system, AWD, parking sensors, third row seating (yes, it is a tight fit, really only for small adults and children), an impressive array of safety items (airbags, side curtains from front to back, Roll-Over Gyro stabilization)...everything but the DVD Video system. The 6 speed transmission is excellent as is the ability to manually shift the fully automatic (Geartronic) transmission. We now have over 32,000 miles on this vehicle and it is extremely reliable. For it's size we get great mileage (16-18 city (actual) and 22-23 highway (actual)). We have had no problems to date with the vehicle. Even the tires (although I am not a fan of Michelin) are still looking great. I am hoping that more tire companies start producing the 235-60-VR18 tires. The overall handling is excellent, whether it is dry or wet. We are extremely happy with this vehicle and highly recommend it to others (the V8 version that is, I can't speak for the other models). Just as a side note our friends purchased a Toyota Sequoia V8 and they are lucky to get 16 MPG on the highway. For my money it has the looks, the style, the acceleration, the comfort, the quality and gas mileage to make it a top performer. Yes, most people do have to get over the idea that it is a Volvo. But we have driven the "competition" and feel that the Volvo XC90 V8 is the best value for the money!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by VOLVO FAN from NY on June 29, 2008

2005 XC90 is excellent in every way. The smoothest ride/drive I have ever had, nice & quiet. So comfortable for all of my family of 5. We have had no problems with it so far and would (and do) highly recommend this car to a famly member or friend. EXCELLENT SUV! Most Reliable Car I've Owned!

Most reliable car I've Owned

by Soccer Mom from Fairfax, VA on March 6, 2007

2005 XC90 is excellent in every way. The smoothest ride/drive I have ever had, nice & quiet. So comfortable for all of my family of 5. We have had no problems with it so far and would (and do) highly recommend this car to a famly member or friend. Very safe. I can't say enough!

Will never buy another model other than the XC90!

by JackieD2014 from Mastic Beach, NY on July 8, 2017

This vehicle is amazing. I purchased it at 161,989 for 4500 in 2014. It is 2017, it has 201k, and is still running strong. Super safe, starts right up, handles well. I've been made into a faithful used Volvo buyer! Let's see how long this thing runs for and when it dies, I will gladly buy another!

Great car

by XC90 fan from New Jersey on November 24, 2008

I love this car. It has been reliable, comfortable, and an overall good choice for my family. The speaker system on the DVD player is a bit insufficient to hear over road noise, but when used with headphones there is no problem. That is the only weakness I have found with the car.

used volvo beware

by wifes taxi on March 3, 2018

comfort ok reliability not ok purchased and the dealer has had it more than my wife .drove it 3 times 3 check engine lights after dealer said its fix/good

Does not recommend this car!!

I like these cars, but I didn't initially

by Wahoo6 from Fremont, NE on January 28, 2018

I would recommend this SUV for anyone who is looking for a great value for the money. They are smooth riding, great performance, and very well built. My only recommendation is to find a local mechanic that you trust to work on your vehicle. Volvo dealer parts are expensive and you can find cheaper and just as good quality from your local parts stores.

Great SUV

by Mavolato from Phoenix on August 7, 2017

I love this car. Very low maintenance costs, reliable and very very durable. However, no aux cord or USB. And it is almost impossible to get an aftermarket radio.

1 2 3 4