2005 XC90

2005 Volvo XC90

2005 Volvo XC90

4.0

Have You Driven the 2005 Volvo XC90?

Nice Vehicle

by Car Gur 317 from Maine on Fri Jan 28 2011

Bought this car new after comparing Murano, Pilot, Toureg. This car gave me the most value for the money. I really loved the seating position although my wife thought that her legs had to cant off toward the side while in the passenger seat. I used this car as a truck at times and I was never dissapointed, always hauling everything I needed. The only area of question is the gas mileage (17/23), I was hoping for better. I traded this vehicle in for a Prius when gas was $4/gallon and boy, do I miss my Volvo...'nuff said.

Excellent Vehicle for Traveling and Comfort

by Performance Oriented Driver from Sacramento on Thu Jun 14 2007

We have had our XC90 V8 since mid 2005. It is fully loaded with Navigation system, AWD, parking sensors, third row seating (yes, it is a tight fit, really only for small adults and children), an impressive array of safety items (airbags, side curtains from front to back, Roll-Over Gyro stabilization)...everything but the DVD Video system. The 6 speed transmission is excellent as is the ability to manually shift the fully automatic (Geartronic) transmission. We now have over 32,000 miles on this vehicle and it is extremely reliable. For it's size we get great mileage (16-18 city (actual) and 22-23 highway (actual)). We have had no problems to date with the vehicle. Even the tires (although I am not a fan of Michelin) are still looking great. I am hoping that more tire companies start producing the 235-60-VR18 tires. The overall handling is excellent, whether it is dry or wet. We are extremely happy with this vehicle and highly recommend it to others (the V8 version that is, I can't speak for the other models). Just as a side note our friends purchased a Toyota Sequoia V8 and they are lucky to get 16 MPG on the highway. For my money it has the looks, the style, the acceleration, the comfort, the quality and gas mileage to make it a top performer. Yes, most people do have to get over the idea that it is a Volvo. But we have driven the "competition" and feel that the Volvo XC90 V8 is the best value for the money!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by VOLVO FAN from NY on Sun Jun 29 2008

2005 XC90 is excellent in every way. The smoothest ride/drive I have ever had, nice & quiet. So comfortable for all of my family of 5. We have had no problems with it so far and would (and do) highly recommend this car to a famly member or friend. EXCELLENT SUV! Most Reliable Car I've Owned!

Will never buy another model other than the XC90!

by JackieD2014 from Mastic Beach, NY on Sat Jul 08 2017

This vehicle is amazing. I purchased it at 161,989 for 4500 in 2014. It is 2017, it has 201k, and is still running strong. Super safe, starts right up, handles well. I've been made into a faithful used Volvo buyer! Let's see how long this thing runs for and when it dies, I will gladly buy another!

Most reliable car I've Owned

by Soccer Mom from Fairfax, VA on Tue Mar 06 2007

2005 XC90 is excellent in every way. The smoothest ride/drive I have ever had, nice & quiet. So comfortable for all of my family of 5. We have had no problems with it so far and would (and do) highly recommend this car to a famly member or friend. Very safe. I can't say enough!

Great car

by XC90 fan from New Jersey on Mon Nov 24 2008

I love this car. It has been reliable, comfortable, and an overall good choice for my family. The speaker system on the DVD player is a bit insufficient to hear over road noise, but when used with headphones there is no problem. That is the only weakness I have found with the car.

I like these cars, but I didn't initially

by Wahoo6 from Fremont, NE on Sun Jan 28 2018

I would recommend this SUV for anyone who is looking for a great value for the money. They are smooth riding, great performance, and very well built. My only recommendation is to find a local mechanic that you trust to work on your vehicle. Volvo dealer parts are expensive and you can find cheaper and just as good quality from your local parts stores.

Incredible car!!

by Dans XC from Cokato, MN on Thu Jun 21 2018

Good looking, very comfortable, good handling, 2.5T is economical, very convenient in every way, 4wd is awesome, it was hard to give it up when trading.

Great SUV

by Mavolato from Phoenix on Mon Aug 07 2017

I love this car. Very low maintenance costs, reliable and very very durable. However, no aux cord or USB. And it is almost impossible to get an aftermarket radio.

Great car for the family & long trips

by Love2fly_rc from Roseville, CA on Mon May 14 2012

In March of 2012 my wife and I purchased a 2005 XC90 with 131,000 miles on it. This was my first experience with a Volvo vehicle, but my wife's third. It's an AWD with a turbo 6 cylinder engine. The gas mileage is respectable for such an engine, the performance is exciting, and the handling is like a sports car with a little extra weight on the top half. Within owning it a month I took it on a 340 mile round trip with my two school age children. We averaged 21mpg on the way down and drove about 10-15 over the posted speed, when permitted. We did encounter some heavy traffic which slowed us down to less than 20 for a few moments. Most of the travel was freeway and semi level roads. On the way back we had a significantly greater amount of slow and go traffic but still managed 20mpg with the A/C on the whole time. After the many hours sitting in this Volvo I found myself very comfortable, no leg, lower back, or upper back and arm discomfort. I did not even find myself having to adjust the seat or myself in the seat during this long same day trip. The leather seats proved very comfortable. My wife uses the SUV daily for her commuter and enjoys it a lot, unfortunately we see the low teens for mpg in her daily commuting. All in all the whole family loves the new addition. Thanks to the team at Volvo for making a fine SUV.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2005 Volvo XC90

Volvo's best-selling vehicle, the XC90, which arguably is the best crossover sport utility on the market, now comes with optional V-8 power.

In the case of the XC90, this might be a matter of poor timing, seeing as how gasoline prices have spiked this year. I can't imagine going out and buying a V-8 anything right now, unless I needed the extra power to pull a trailer, for instance.

So if you're among the crowd of those who believe that to be a real car, a vehicle has to have a V-8, then this new XC90 4.4-liter V-8 model might be for you.

But as I've said before, those of us who have been Volvo fans for decades probably would agree that putting a V-8 in the XC90 or any Volvo, for that matter, borders... Read More