2017 XC90

4.5 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

Initial impression (3000 miles) better than rating

by Dr.G from Iowa on January 9, 2017

I compared three vehicles before choosing the 2017 Volvo XC90, including the Audi Q7, and the BMW 5 series. I wanted the air suspension and and did not favor run-flat tires which gave the Volvo a clear edge. I also thought the Volvo the best design inside and out with the largest cargo capacity. I was somewhat discourage by the negative reports of reliability from reviews of the 2016 XC90. The Volvo was clearly the best value at under $60,000. On a trip of 2700 miles the Volvo XC90 was impressive. The quality of materials, hardware and the fit and finish (Momentum Plus) were equal or better than any luxury brand I have owned including virtually all of the the major European brands. With the air suspension the ride and handling were very good and the car is extremely quiet at highway speeds. Seats are outstanding. My only disappointment was with the lane control feature which did a lot of `searching? giving the handling a heavy and intrusive feel especially when the lane markings are less than optimal. (It can be defeated.) The advanced cruse control system with vehicle distance monitoring was excellent and twice intervened before I could brake manually when cars suddenly changed lanes Engine sounds are somewhat course under hard acceleration as compared to a V-6 or V-8, but power was very adequate. The center `iPad type? screen is easy to read, especially with navigation, but controls and programing take some effort. Gas mileage was a pleasant surprise using eco mode. The overall milage (80% highway, 20% city) was 25.5 MPG. and on two segments of 425 miles each, I recorded better than 32 MPG at speeds of 65 to 75 MPH using 93 octane gasoline. (On one segment where 10% alcohol was the only fuel available the milage dropped precipitously to 18.5 MPG but headwinds were high as well.) The solid construction and initial excellent performance of the 2017 XC90 make me optimistic that it will prove to be reliable as well and an outstanding value in this auto segment.

Classy Ride for Best in Class

by Volvo Lover from Castro Valley, CA on April 21, 2017

So, I admit I'm a little bias. I have an XC90 and was looking for a newer model. Love my 2004 XC90, but be still my beating heart. What an upgrade. This new model has everything and more. I have fallen in love all over again. Smooth ride, easy to figure out the control panel (it's not like having to read an instructional manual to figure out what everything does) and the safety features like lane assist, rear camera and all the air bags are what Volvo is known for. To me this is the safest car around.

Loved all the safety features

by Toothdoc from Louisville,ky on May 19, 2017

I really love everything about the car, comfort,legroom,safety,visibility. The touchpad is distracting so much on it.

Best SUV ever built

by DengOrlando from Orlando,Fl on September 3, 2017

I bought a 2016 xc90 Inscription by Oct.2015.I have been using it for almost two years. it is a very reliable car. All the features give you the pleasantness to drive and enjoyment. Last month, our family decided to switch all our cars to Volvo XC90. Now we are a family of Volvo XC90 with equality.

Best Car I have ever owned...

by MommyMelissaxc90 from Bradenton, FL on April 4, 2018

I was a Jeep girl...it took 25 years and 3 kids to get me out of one. Unfourtantly 3 car seats do not fit in the back seat of a Jeep. I did not want a monster sized suv and a mini van situation was not happenening. We bought 3 Clek car seats (the car seats you can fit 3 across) and headed to Volvo, Audi, and Lincoln....the car seats fit in an XC90, Q7, and a MKX, but the safety features, add'l cameras, and the sporty drive on the XC90 won me over. We love driving it and the kids love it. It's so luxurious. I feel bad saying so but I kinda don't miss my Jeep.

Great car, even better at night!

by AustinJ from Austin, TX on October 25, 2017

So far we have been really happy with our XC90 and have been even more impressed when driving at night. The interior running lights give the kids enough light to look at toys and the exterior lights are great for lighting up our dark streets. I feel like the moving headlights have been especially effective on more than one occasion. We have had occasions where a pedestrian was wearing all black jogging on the side of the road. Chances are we would have seen them, but the lights really made it obvious. My only semi negative is that sometimes the apple car play can be slow. Maybe its just our phones so I don't want to hold that against the car.

Fun car to drive and Excellent on gas!!!

by tre_j2169 from Pensacola, Florida on July 21, 2018

The different driving modes make the Volvo XC90 fun to drive. It's great on gas and even better on the highway. Literally this is a smart car on wheels.

Best Mid-sized SUV

by BJL from Atlanta, Georgia on December 13, 2016

I needed a SUV because my sedan was not adequate for 3 children, all still in booster/car seats. My wife drives an Escalade ESV , so I did not need the "larger" SUV. I test drove the new Audi Q7 and Acura MDX, both are brands I have owned previously and I was extremely satisfied with both. The MDX interior layout /the center counsel looked no different than my 2007 MDX. The entry in the 3rd row was via a 60/40 bench. It drove most like a truck of the 3. The Audi Q7 was well appointed, a close second to the Volvo. The entry into the 3rd row is a bit clumby, but not a deal breaker, all 2nd row seats move independent like the Volvo. The XC 90 R design is the one I purchased, it drives like my sedan did, and the technology is unparalleled, and 2 boosters and a car seat easily fit 3 across the second row, leaving 3rd row folded down most the time, but easily utilized for Cub Scout meetings, etc. This is my first Volvo, but after 1 month of driving my XC 90, I am very happy!

Perfect SUV for families wanting tech & safety

by Father who wants a functional SUV that's super saf from Philadelphia, PA on September 5, 2016

Awesome SUV. Not perfect, but a great combo of tech. meets safety meets comfort. It's not perfect as the Acura MDX had the captain's chairs and better middle consoles for the driver and rear, and the Mazda CX9 is a great SUV value wise, but misses a few key things. Absolutely get the HUD too for added safety. I cannot wait to continue to explore this vehicle.

Awesome tech

by Antonio from Jersey City, nj on May 18, 2017

This vehicle has elegant styling inside and out. Semi autonomous driving feature is great. Powertrain is sufficient (t6 model) although sounds uninspiring at high RPM due to 4 cylinder (although powerful with supercharger and turbocharger)

1 2 3 4 5