2014 i3

2014 BMW i3

2014 BMW i3

Have you driven the 2014 BMW i3?

BMW i3 Rex

by M&M from Princeton NJ on Thu Apr 09 2015

2014 BMW i3 Rex.. I have driven it 3800 miles since Nov 2014. A typically only electric range is around 75 miles on ECO Pro.. I live in Princeton NJ and drive to the NYC pretty often. Its easy to find charging stations in NYC but if ur not able to charge it the gen kicks in and I have never experienced any loss of power as a result. NJ charging station networks sucks and makes life not fun for a EV's. The drive is surprisingly BMW once u get past the quietness. I personally love the 1 pedal drive. It does take a lil time to get use to. I got mine with all the opts in a Tera world Orange/Black combo. Loads of looks and questions. Important advice. This is an EV and remember that. I leased mine cuz I don't want to own something that is still a work in progress. I looked at the tesla and leaf. I prefer this one mainly cuz with the rex u can go anywhere plus I prefer the drive. My other cars 2011 BMW M3 DCT and my wife drives 2013 Audi S5. I stillhave not installed a level 2 charger at home. It takes time to charge but I can live with it for now. There are huge gov credits on EV's so if ur planing on buying/leasing do look into it. Overall I am satisfied with the car and would recommend it over Tesla and Leaf. Leaf is very boring and a BAD drive. Tesla is great but its a small company so the availability of parts is BAD.

Such a fun car!

by JK from Novi, MI on Mon Sep 25 2017

First impressions... This car has exceeded my expectations so far. Will be using this as a "commuter" car, and will mean some change in usage habits, but overall not really any compromises. It's great in traffic due to its light weight and ample instantaneous low-speed torque and is easily able to keep up with traffic on the highway. Love all the amenities and interior styling. The BMW iDrive takes some getting used to. The ride on the 20" wheels is a bit harsh on Michigan's roads - I'll be getting winter wheels and tires. A great "used" vehicle at a great price now these are starting to come off leases.

for an EV the range extender is the way to go ...

by Garlicjoe from Gilroy, Ca. on Mon Sep 11 2017

I really want an EV and the BMW was my choice over the Volt and the Leaf ... for dependability, style and value for a previously owned low mile vehicle ... I sell Solar and need it to promote my business ... I sell a life style not just a system ... EV is the way of the future ... and BMW is the leader ..

Forget gas Go Electric!

by Allanchuang824 from Richmond on Sun Oct 22 2017

This is an amazing car, especially for commuting around for work, to work, and back. Awesome concept that is already becoming the future. BMW really out did themselves once again with this car, you will not expect a car that's electric can perform like a BMW car like this, for most people that would think is weak because it's not gasoline with loud engine and exhaust, your wrong. Believe it once you drive one you will not get used to it like when smart phones first came out, but after that you can't be anywhere without one, it's like your missing something.

Excellent in City Car

by Anuragn from San Diego , CA on Wed Oct 11 2017

excellent car for daily commute and mid range trips , total range is around 120 miles, the Range extender feature takes out the fear of electric motor going out of charge.

Crazy high tech and a thrill to drive

by EBimmer from Charlotte, NC on Mon Apr 02 2018

This is a terrifically fun vehicle to drive. Takes off like a rocket from a standing start - and silent! Very nimble in traffic with deft handling and a tight turning radius. Perfectly meets my needs for a short-range commuter vehicle (we use our Toyota for long trips) and I very seldom use the full range of the battery to the point where the range extender kicks in. I would never spend the kind of money that a new i3 requires, but I was able to find a 2014 with only about 15,000 miles, all the tech features I could ask for, and well below $20K. This is not a large car - think of it as a Mini Cooper from 20 years in the future - but there is quite a lot of space if you fold the back seats down. Sits up high with terrific visibility in the driver's seat. My chief dislike is BMW's decision to use unusually tall, skinny tires to reduce rolling resistance. The car can "bunny hop" a bit when accelerating through a turn or when hitting a bump or pothole. I would gladly have sacrificed some energy efficiency as a trade off for wider tires, smaller rims, and more lateral stability. I also think the exterior styling is unnecessarily strange, which probably puts off some buyers (however, the looks have grown on me a bit). I bought and installed a Level 2 charger at home so I can completely recharge overnight in just a few hours and the car is good to go in the morning with a belly full of electrons! I love to drive past gas stations. Overall, the i3 is an amazing piece of technology and a thrill to drive!

Fun, Stylish & Ecomomical

by Cadence from san diego on Sun Aug 05 2018

This car is pure BMW to drive. It has amazing acceleration since there is no transmission to slow the process down. But it's a little light in the loafers on a bumpy road with the tail bunny hopping over speed bumps. With that said, it has three driving modes... Comfort, Eco and Eco+. Comfort mode is race car mode, however, you will use your battery up with your pedal to the metal. Eco mode is the best choice for highway driving and extending your range. Finally, Eco+ mode is for city street driving. Eco + limits the car to a 54 mph speed, tones down the acceleration and turns off your AC. This is the ultra range extending mode. One of the best features of this electric car is the super convenient Range Extender. Unlike other electric cars, if you max out the battery, the range extending gas generator kicks in to seamlessly get you to your destination or the next charging or gas station. The I3 has an enormous amount of room for such a small footprint. The car is only 156 inches long, yet, has plenty of head and leg room for 6 foot people both in front and back seats. The lack of transmission makes the entire front floor one continuous flat surface. Finally, a place for my purse between the seats! The suicide doors give great access to the back seat and make it easy to get in and out. And the batteries under the floor raise this car up for great sight lines. If you need to transport something a little large, the seat fold down for a very roomy trunk which is easily loaded through the back hatch.

I LOVE this car!!!

by Katleer from Canton, GA on Tue Jun 24 2014

When I saw the first pictures of the i3 floating around the internet I just knew it was going to be awesome! I have owned 2- 3 series and an X5. I loved my X5 and swore that I would never have any other car, but apparently the oil companies found a way to make my beautiful X5 lose some of it's luster. As gas prices continued to creep up I considered a Nissan Leaf, yes, I said it but it was for less than an hour and I quickly came to my senses. I left the nissan dealership a little confused and disheartened because while I loved the idea of never pumping gas again, I just could not bring myself to pay almost $40k for a leaf. I work with numbers for a living and it just didn't add up for me. Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice but the price is inflated for the tax credit and I would have to pay for my own maintenance. My despair quickly turned to excitement when I saw an article about the i3, really, could it really be possible? I waited patiently and the first day one hit the Atlanta market I was there to test drive it. That was that, people if you are on the fence, DRIVE IT! This baby is all BMW, fun to drive and loaded with sass. Like I said, I never thought anything would top my X5, but it looks like I greatly underestimate BMW because this little baby just cruised right passed it, guess it was stopping for gas. LOVE IT!

just make it!

by DJ from chicago on Tue Aug 29 2017

Excellent fit and finish a real BMW. I have a cheat. I put a 5 gallon plastic gas container in rear. On an almost full charge head to my cottage 209 miles away. Charge runs out goes to RE then about 50 miles gas up from trunk making sure not to run all the way down. arrival in style just making it. Fill tank, put on charge, fill gas container and ready to go.

First BMW and First Electric I've owned

by Green 2 Go from Los Angeles, CA on Wed Oct 29 2014

I've owned a pure battery I3 for 3 months now. I didn't go for the range extended model since I'm good with the range. I've found that the lowest range I'll get is around 70 miles on a charge. It can be worse if your running max AC all the time, it would probably cut you down to 50-60 miles on a charge. Driving with good anticipation and using the eco drive easily gives you 80 miles plus. So what do I love and hate about this car. After you own it for a while, you'll find plenty of both. I'll point out some of the things I dislike first. Keep in mind I bought basically a base model and wish I would have spent a bit more to get the driver assist.. check into that if your serious. My dislikes. 1)No AM Radio. I guess its too old school for the latest greatest, but a lot of sports are broadcast on AM. If you end up with satellite radio and subscribe that's a non issue, but its also an upgrade in the car to get satalite and comes "prewired" I thought all new cars came wiith it standard... BMW got that one wrong. 2)Some of the default settings in the car are really annoying. When you start the car the Climate control will always be on low and the entertainment will be at no volume. Its seems like it should just remember where it was when you turned it off. 3) When you stop and park your driver door automatically unlocks but not the passenger side. When I drop my son off at school, He sits passenger side back seat and I always have to pull out the FOB and unlock the car just after I stopped to get him out. 4)The way it displays info, so much of it takes up the car charge status and there is one space that scrolls thru a bunch of things like time, odometer, and temperature yet the trip meter has a static place. They could have done a better job on what is shown or allow some customization. What DO I LOVE about the car. 1) The acceleration! Its twice as good as any other electric excluding the Tesla which is twice the price. The money spent above and beyond the leaf or other electrics are well spent just for the performance. The 0-30 MPH is simply amazing. It feels like driving a roller coaster. 2) There are a lot of up front costs but some huge back end savings for me. Check out your electic provider, I have SCE and they have a special rates for EV owners. We did the best one which gives us a .$09 per KW/hr You have to play for a second electrical panel to be installed and have a dedicated 220v circuit run to your charger. We just bought and financed the BMW charger. Total cost for everything is like 4k (I actually upgraded my homes panel and used the old one for the charger which was more expensive, you could get it done for cheaper I'm sure.) So why bother with all of this.... $.09 per kw/hr translates into this. Roughly 4.5miles per kw/hr do the math and to drive 100 miles cost about 2 bucks. The price of 1 gallon of gas gets me about 200 miles. So the up front cost of 3-4k can get you this amazing electrical rate and ridiculously cheap MPGe. Again check with your local utilities to see whats available. For us the first 2 months were very expensive for electrical usage because we didn't add a second panel to get the special rate, paying Tier 4 usage rates. 5) The looks are really polarizing and its something I love. I no some ppl hate it but that's ok, not everyone will buy one. The car gets a lot of looks. 6) There is almost no maintenance. To sum things up, While there are some annoying things about the car, its still an awesome car. I wholeheartedly recommend it with the few caveats. You probably have to be a homeowner and ready to modify your home to some extent. This car is really fun to drive. My prior car was a VW GTI and this one has better performance.

1 2 3