2012 Bmw X 5

4.4
19 reviews Change Vehicle

Very, Very happy with my 2012 X5 5.0

by from Virginia on November 10, 2011

I've been driving X5s since the first model and leased an early production 2012 over the summer. I still find it amazing that I can place an order for the factory to custom build an X5 that arrived at my dealer in 3.5 weeks. It now has over 11,000 miles on it and it has been completely trouble free (as have my other X5s with the exception of the first model over a decade ago.) Even after test driving other mid-sized SUVs, I still go back to the X5. Aside from the technology, I find the driving position and the multi-contour seats more comfortable than any other vehicle. I've never had trouble operating the iDrive system and frankly am tired of people complaining about it because they couldn't figure it out in a 10 minute test drive. No manufacturer can completely idiot-proof a system. Several options deserve consideration: contour seats, top-down camera that shows you the sides, front, and rear of the car, and heads-up display (once you have this, you won't want to drive a car without it). The new engines and the 8 speed transmission are noticeably smoother than the last generation 6 speed. If you are leasing, find a dealer who will show you the lease residual chart for the different X5 models. There are huge differences in residuals between a 3.5i, 5.0i, and 3.5d that will greatly affect the lease payment. For example, the 3.5d had a residual of 51% and the 5.0 had a residual of 60% for a 36 month lease with 15k miles. That 9% difference means that the 5.0 was the same lease payment even though the 5.0 is more expensive and the diesel had an additional $2,500 eco-credit for 2012. I'm hoping to hold onto this X5 until the 3rd generation is released in two years.

Nice car

by from Brooklyn, ny on November 12, 2011

Really enjoy the car , one of the best cars I ever had, no good on snow, excellent on rain, perfect on dry weather condition , not an off-road truck, but the way it handles on the highway I just love this car. BMW has to work on reliability of their cars.

best performance

by from Long Island, NY on December 14, 2011

This is the first BMW for my family. Before having this car, I had a MB ML suy for more than 10 years and I have driven many different suvs. Now I believe this is a real best driving machine.

Terrific car. It's quite powerful and it's diesel.

by from Hamilton, NJ on July 13, 2013

What a pleasure to drive. This Diesel engine is very powerful. Great mileage. Beautiful interior and sharp exterior Just love it. Sure beats my Mercedes! Hugs the road and is quite smooth. Great buy!!

2012 X5d

by from Northern Virginia on October 17, 2012

Great vehicle. For the money you spend, BMW needs to make more of its options, standard equipment. Also, run flats vs reg tires, better interior color options (alternative color piping on seats would be nice). include ipod cable with BMW apps purchase, etc... you folks know what I mean. When you spend hard earned money on these beautiful, luxurious vehicles, it would be nice if some of the paid options were made standard.

X5-50i Non-stop Power Handling and Luxury in 1

by from on June 27, 2015

An amazing combination of power and handling with room to throw in golf clubs, flat screen TV and kids. Sport seat w/cooling and massage make this car a long distance road warrior. V-8 growl is bad-a. More legroom in back seat than Cadillac Escalade. This machine does it all - with AWD that has RWD bias it keeps the fun factor in Cleveland snow storms and mountain twisties. I have owned other brands, but keep coming back to BMW. They have it figured out - the magic balance of ride and handling like no other. If you have to wear a suit, need a family friendly vehicle, but really love power and handling - the X5-50i is it. This car is buttoned down, but ready to rumble.

2012 BMW X5 Premium

by from Mpls, MN on January 23, 2013

I've bought a 2012 BMW X5 Premium with 1780 mi on it and have been very pleased with my purchase. I have only owned it for a month but so far it has been a pleasure. This X5 has the convenience pkg, Tech pkg and comfort access. I guess I will have to re-evaluate the X5 after a couple years to have a true assessment. So far, very happy.

Comfortable, Spacious, Excellent Handling

by from Athens, TN on January 5, 2015

This vehicle handles well and is very responsive to driver input, both in steering and acceleration. It has quite comfortable seating in front and rear. It has numerous driver's aides that make driving a pleasure.

Most comfortable vehicle I have owned.

by from Gainesville, Fl on February 19, 2015

This BMW X5 is awesome. The get-up and going is excellent. Love the feel of the drive and the seat is very inviting.

Greatest car ever

by from San Clemente, Ca on July 12, 2013

Beautiful to look at, a dream to drive, handles like a sports car, roomy, feels like a luxury sedan with all the same bells and whistles. I'll never drive anything else but a BMW.

Our Expert Review: 2012 Bmw X 5