Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2004 Impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala

$737 - $6,317  MSRP Range
2004 Chevrolet Impala

4.5

Have You Driven the 2004 Chevrolet Impala?

Reliable... Good value... May buy another.

by Foamfoot from Milwaukee, WI on Mon Apr 27 2009

I purchased my '04 Impala brand new. Five years, 61K miles and 60 payments later, I'm still happy I did. But age may be catching up with it. After my Jeep was stolen, I was in the hunt for something reliable, inexpensive, and ea$y to maintain. I bought a base model to get me from point A to point B - nothing fancy. The 3.4 V6 is strong and surprisingly throaty when the gas is all the way out. Handles pretty well - very responsive. Very good on gas - about 22 mpg in mostly city driving. Best was 32 MPG (highway) and worst was 17 (heavy city). I haven't beaten on the car, but it's definitely been ridin' pretty hard and has withstood some punishment. The Traction Control is great in these Wisconsin winters and it starts right up every morning un-garaged. Maintenance is easy - battery, brakes, fluids and filters, - and cheap. Big plus. Repairs - In the first four and a half years of ownership, the only thing that needed to be replaced was the radio after the factory CD player died and I did so under warranty. Here's where the jury is out. Since it turned 4.5 years old, the speedometer broke, water pump went out, trunk latch slips (came open while driving), the traction control system intermittently shuts off when going from Reverse to Drive on an icy surface and now the transmission sometimes has trouble going from a dead stop into first gear (think of a mild 'Neutral Drop') Needless to say - the extended GM warranty more than paid for itself already. I know "stuff" breaks on cars, but the rapid onset of repairs with low(er) mileage has me worried about it's post-payment (and warranty) shelf life. Bottom Line: Good value for a reliable car with minimal maintenance. At this point, I'd buy another knowing I'd probably get another 5 quality years out if it.

Fourth Chevy

by Homer from Stratford, CT on Sat Jan 14 2012

Bought 04 used in 05, put on 60K with only a brake job and radiator flush and tires in over 6 years. I replaced the Goodyears with Continentals and run them 6 psi higher for tighter feel. Car has served me so I've treated it with synthetic oil whenever the CHANGE OIL light comes on every 6K or so. Power and performance are great, driver and passenger set their own temperatures, fold-down rear seats allowed a huge table from IKEA in the car with lid closed. May the fourth be with you too.

Almost Fed Up

by Almost Fed Up from Indianapolis, IN on Thu Mar 31 2011

I fell in love with the Impala after I rented one. I finally bought one after I drove my Taurus into the ground and thought I had a steal... 4 months after I bought my used Impala, the speedometer stopped working. Then the tachometer, then the gas gauge, and finally the temp gauge. Thank god for the electronic readouts, or I'd never know how much gas I have. I read online this was a known issue - instrument panel failure, but Chevy won't replace it... or won't replace it on their dime.... $500 to fix and no guarantee.... Other than that epic fail, the car is a tank and I love it.

It has some issues

by roadrunner from Sheboygan Wisconsin on Tue May 17 2011

Great gas mileage, big trunk, comfortable driving car...but the brakes and calipers are junk and the transmission slips sometimes. I've had this car since 2006 and have 69000 miles on her. Haven't done any repairs except all the brakes/calipers and normal maintence/oil changes and transmission flush/filter at 45000 miles..but transmission still slips sometimes. Good winter car in snow too.

great commuter and all around car

by jay-jay from oak ridge,n.j. on Tue Dec 04 2012

purchased a used LS in 2009,with 62,000 miles,fell in love with it during test drive,took it home same day,3yrs later have over 170,000 on it,normal maintenace,brakes,oil changes,coolant flushes.Some minor issues,gauges (tach) does not function in cold weather,no other issues with gauges,had to replace front sway bar because it cracked in half,(hollow) I don't know whether it was replaced or it was factory equipped. And I am in the market for another one because last week I got rear ended,by someone doing about 45mph and I was at a dead stop,the impala took it like a champ,protected all passengers! Safety Rating from me is definitly a 5 STAR RATING!!!!

2004 Impala

by jay g from Buffalo NY on Sat Jul 22 2006

I currently drive a 2004 chevy Impala base model with a sport package(spoiler,alloy wheels,tail light cover,bucket seats) The car does have the base engine 3.4 v6 with 180 hp, I drove both the base and the LS model with the bigger engine 3.8 V6, and I felt that the 3.4 V6 was good enough for me,the car is very roomy I am a big guy at 6'4 350lbs and have no problems with the interior space of this car,the sound system is great,plus it has steering wheel audio controls,which alot of cars still dont have,and they cost more money. The only problem I can say about the interior is the fake wood,I for one dislike most cars with wood,unless its real,and the plastic er..wood inside is bad,the only other complaint is the size of cupholders,it can hold a can of pop but if you want it to hold a lg beverage from a fast food place,it wont. The 2004 Impala is a very nice,roomy and reliable car. And even with gas prices the way they are here in NY I still can fill my car up for about $45. Unfortunately I will not be getting another Impala as the new redesign is very ugly.

Been geat car

by Evie from Walkerton, Ontario on Mon Jan 19 2015

I purchased this car used about 3 years ago with 134 k on it and now has over 153 k. It has been a very reliable car during this time with regular maintenance. Very comfortable and quiet on the road with lots of room. Car used in lawn maintenance work to haul utility trailer which it does a good job. even with the 3.4 engine. Great gas mileage on the road without the trailer. I would recommend this car to anyone, just that this car model year is getting older. .Plan to keep this one for a while yet. Really like the car.

Nice larger Car

by ImpalaMan from South Whitley, IN on Wed Jul 13 2011

Very comfortable riding car, nice interior car. Lots of interior room which we have been looking for.

SUPER IMPALA USED

by carscruiser from POMPANO, FL on Tue Apr 17 2012

MY 2004 IMPALA WAS A RENTAL THAT I BOUGHT FROM A DEALER FOR 14000 . IT TURNED OUT TO BE A GOOD BUY. IT HAS LITTLE PROBLEMS AND GETS 18-21 MPH AROUND TOWN AND EVEN BETTER ON THE ROAD. I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO ANOTHER IMPALA WHEN FINANCES PERMIT. LOVE IT. LOVE CHEVYS

I love my Chevy Impala

by CinCin from Cleveland Ohio on Wed Mar 07 2018

I bought this car used with 200,000 miles on it..very very comfortable car to drive for me. With the high miles already I knew what I was in for. Very happy with it BUT like a lot of the reviews the tack all but the fuel was messing up. Would have to disconnect the battery like once a month to reset the speed tach but no problem. My son just over hauled the intake gasket, which took time, changed them to the felpro...working very well now...I just love this older model the engine is strong and I feel safe it even tho it's 14 years old...hardly any rust so I am happy for this used Chevy. When I get my money in a few months I'm buying a brand new one that is for sure♥♥♥

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2004 Chevrolet Impala

"Throw a blower on it!"

That's what one of my pals says whenever she beholds a hot rod of any kind. It's a pretty good cliche that zeroes in on the ultimate accessory for getting more power out of an engine: supercharging.

Drag racers know all about the benefits of a supercharger. Basically, it's a belt-driven air pump that force-feeds air and fuel into an engine to boost horsepower and torque.

Supercharging is one of the key ingredients to the revival of a Chevrolet classic, the Impala SS. Taking the midsize, front-wheel-drive family sedan, Chevy boosts the 3.8-liter V-6 to 240 horsepower and 280 pound-feet of torque, and adds a lowered performance suspension, 17-inch alloy wheels with... Read More