2001 PT Cruiser

3.9 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Lame, but Indestructible

by Ready to upgrade from DC area on April 17, 2014

There are many reasons to buy a car, but fewer reasons to beat one into the ground. I got the car with just under 190K miles on it (base model, automatic). From day 1 I loved the little car. Wide panel under the dashboard which is great for people with long legs (KNEES DON'T BANG) and the controls are different, but easy to keep track of. I had a bad luck streak for some time; being run off of the road and such...if YOU know what you're doing, this car WILL handle exactly the way you want it to (traction control does its job). The timing belt went out on me a few years ago, but with no motor damage and the thing is still kicking. Unfortunately, the car has NO getup and go, nor has it ever. If you're ok with not accelerating at all, these cars are perfect for you. Yes the turning radius is ridiculous, but these cars will fight as long as you've got its back. I'm preparing to part ways with mine at 242K+ miles, and am not disappointed. It's sturdy, but approaching its deathbed. Not flashy, but has never let me down.

I guess my favorite car ever

by Proud owner of Eleanor from Richmond, KY on July 13, 2009

I love my PT. Her name is Eleanor, she has a custom paint job and she's beautiful. She is also a real workhorse. She has amazing cargo space, has always been completely dependable, gets good mileage, has 148,000 miles on her, and is fun to drive. If they're still making PT's when she gives up the ghost, I'll buy another.

"BEST NEW CAR I EVER BOUGHT, I DIDN'T NEED"

by Bob from Waleska, Georgia on November 2, 2014

Can't let go of it. I've got original spec sheet from window of my 2001 PT Automatic, Unlimited, Red, (original chrome wheels), which are beautiful as day (I) picked it up at the dealership. It has my name on it with ("MAKED FOR)r", ('MY NAME') stated on it. I'm holding onto it with the hope it may be worth more as a One Owner, Authenticated Antique. It has 230,000 miles on it and has same great power as it did on day one. Looks like new. I drive it every day. CHRYSLER HAS MADE A bad MISTAKE BY NOT CONTINUING THIS VEHICLE. THERE'S A MARKET FOR IT----check out competition for PT' Legacy.

2001 PT Cruiser, 5 spd, Great car fun to drive

by PT Fan from Pompano Beach FL on October 2, 2013

I have had my P.T. for 9 years, this is a great car and so much fun to drive. Its spacious inside, very comfortable, great on gas and looks great. I have 125,000 miles and have been told by chrysler this can run strong past 200,000 miles. Yes some repairs are pricey but what car isn't these days. Wish they still made this iconic car :(

I am in Love with my PT

by Yankeenutfan from Orlando, Florida on April 6, 2011

This is my Toy. I Bought it 2 months ago,2001 "PT THING" with 86K for $4,495. It gives me 22 mpg in city and 25 mpg in Hwy. Very stylish, great power, great acceleration, lots of leg room, lot of space inside and excellent interiors. I love my PT and I recommended this car to anyone.

Best 2001 Chrysler I've Ever Owned

by GoodGood Cars from L.A.,CA on November 15, 2011

I love my 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition Interior i love the chrome wheels on this model the leather seating the radio the steering wheel where the door handle is and shaped all the storege and cargo board in the trunk. Exterior i love the shape that the front end is shaped i love the grill how it is shaped i like how the door handles are and the back lights are shaped and the back up lights are on the bumper and it says PT Cruiser on the door i love that it says it on the door and the hood shape. Performance I love the V4 engine one time i was on the highway in a 65 miles per hour zone when i speeded up and the engine made a very big roar i wish i had gotten the turbo convertiveble instead.I HAD THIS CAR FOR 9 YEARS WITH 189,893 MILES ON IT.

PT

by truman from grand rapids, mi on July 19, 2006

had mine since new - 120k+ miles. this car is unbreakable and still fun to drive. styling is still unique (though GM tried to copy it) versatile and a ton of room inside

Good, solid, and gas efficient

by Greeneyed Lady from Orrtanna, PA on November 15, 2011

Got this car as an everyday driver because my Explorer has tons of miles and sucks down the gas. Great little car for scooting' around town, on the highway. Of course not great on backwoods roads, but I have the Explorer for that. Would recommend to family and friends. Has lots of interior compartments to put stuff. The seating is nice and versatile. Can remove and or fold down all seats (except driver's of course) for cargo room. Driver seat sits like a SUV rather than a car. You sit up and can see out easily. Overall nice car.

Highly recommend

by Banana Boat from Arizona on January 11, 2007

Owner, awesome car, drives nice, great gas mileage, highly recommend!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy one today.

Longest I've ever loved a car

by Purple PT from Louisville, KY on December 6, 2008

I ordered an original 01 PT sight unseen except the picture in a magazine. Had to wait 9 months to get it and have enjoyed every minute of it. I was the first on my block to have a PT Cruiser and it was a real head turner.

1 2 3 4 5 6