2001 Escape

2001 Ford Escape

$816 - $5,284  MSRP Range
2001 Ford Escape

4.2

Have You Driven the 2001 Ford Escape?

The Great Escape

by Escapist from Las Vegas, NV on Thu Mar 03 2011

We've had our 2001 Escape XLT 4x4 for about 4 years, and we've loved it. It now has 125,000 miles on it and we've never had any major issues with it, just minor maintenance here and there. We have two kids and they fit very comfortably in the back and there's lots of cargo room for big strollers, etc. The Escape served us well living in Utah with all of the snow, it handles great in the snow. All around great car for a small family!

TARDIS

by Escape Enthusiast from 98166 on Sat Aug 07 2010

It's a small SUV but you can't believe it's as large and comfortable inside as it is. I've had a 55 gal barrel, a 42 inch TV, a 6 ft folding table, 8ft 2x4s and lots of Christmas trees in the back all with the hatch closed. It's also dependable and sure footed in the snow. How can you get along without one?

I can't wait to buy another escape

by Escape Lover from South Jordan, Utah on Mon Jul 05 2010

I owned my Escape for 4 years and can only say good things about it. We only changed over to a minivan to fit more people, but once I'm done with that car I plan to go back to another Escape. The power was great, the all wheel drive got us out of a lot of issues, probably more than we were aware of. My newer Corolla (with fewer miles) had more costlier repairs than my Escape had.

Best car I've had - in fact, I've had two!

by Super Mom from Pennsburg, PA on Sat Jan 29 2011

I love my 2001 Ford Escape! My first one had 120,000 miles on it when my 17 year old drove it into the bottom of a cemented light pole. Somehow, he was not injured - the airbags had gone off and everything!! I loved my car so much, that I set out looking to replace it with another. As for holding its value, we bought it used 4 years ago. We got almost what we paid for it 4 years ago back from insurance and paid about that for another used one, with the same options (fully loaded)! Of course, it has 120,000 miles - it has needed maintenance things here and there, nothing huge.

Great Car

by 787 Guy from Seattle on Fri Aug 06 2010

Great acceleration from V6, better than expected gas mileage, no unscheduled maintenance for first nine years, easy entry for aging baby boomer, parts and filters easy to find.

Best suv ive ever owned

by little suv man from toronto,ohio on Wed Oct 28 2009

I have owned a 2001 xls ford escape for 7 months now very nice suv.Awd and 4x4 are very nice havent had in snow yet but its coming soon.Ive had to replace the tranny fluid and engine oil so far. i hear trannys are very bad with this year.Other than that nothing major just oxygen sensor and struts but at 125,000 miles its running strong. This car has never left me stranded and i have off roaded it and its great in mud.very sharp great gas milage for an suv and the looks of it with running boards front chrome bursh guard makes it look like a tank.The bad part about an xls is the center console its very low to the floor and no arm support,would buy another one but atleast a 2005 xlt.

escape owner for ever

by first time escape owner from sault ste marie,MI on Sun Jan 23 2011

bought an 01 Escape XLT V6 4x4. Have only had it for six months,so far it has been a great vehicle. it handles great in the snow.

237k mi & goin

by Lolo from Mauk, Ga on Sat Dec 26 2015

I bought an 01 V-6 Escape with 201k mi on original engine and transmission. I've owned it 2 years and will get another when this one's done. It's comfortable and functional. I depend on it for a daily commute & stick it to the floor to 6k RPM also. I just fix minor things that come up on any 15 yr old vehicle and stay on top of fluid levels. I only change the oil every 15k-20k mi. I expect to hit 300k mi.

My great Escape

by JayMan from CO on Fri Oct 09 2015

I've had my 2001 2.0l I4 5 speed manual 2wd for 13+ years. I love the little thing as its the best all around car out there. Good and sporty on road, and surprisingly great off road to. Tartus like inside and eats all the cargo you can throw at it. Never quits and I can count on it starting every time. The engine maybe down on power for some but its the little engine that can and gets 25 to 30 mpg. I would highly recommend an Escape.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Nice going down the road

by Eric from Indy on Thu May 10 2007

I only use it in the winter which I was surprised that it got around with no problems even when the snow was up to my "running boards" /great car/truck plenty of room and prefer to drive it over my 4 runner limited due to the escape has more power and room and it actually did better then the Toyota in the snow!!!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 2001 Ford Escape

Pity the Ford Motor Co.

The nation's No. 2 automaker has spent most of the past year wading chest-high through bad press about rollovers, questionable tires and some of its management practices. And even when Ford tried to do something right -- such as introduce the new-for-2001 Ford Escape sport-utility vehicle -- the SUV had more recalls than an iron parachute.

Too bad, because once the bugs are ironed about, the Escape is just what Ford needed to offer its many customers who remain head-over-heels in love with SUVs.

Escape is a reasonably sized, nicely styled, competent-handling, versatile sport-ute that can take on most roads when equipped with a V-6 engine.

Let me emphasize that... Read More