Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2006 Escape

2006 Ford Escape

2006 Ford Escape

4.3

Have You Driven the 2006 Ford Escape?

Ford Escape

by bubba from kansas on Thu Apr 28 2011

Have owned two Ford Escapes. They are wonderful SUV's. There are great in the snow and mud. Gas mileage is pretty good at 28 mpg on the highway. My niece just bought a 2011 Escape for the gas mileage. she had a dodge nitro. (that was a waste of money). The biggest reason I love Ford's is that Ford didn't take any BAIL OUT MONEY from our government.

An Overall Good Vehicle

by Student from Louisville, KY on Sat Apr 23 2011

The Ford Escape has been a great vehicle for my busy lifestyle. I often have to haul large amounts of supplies for work and the cargo space is more than sufficient and easy to access. The back seats are also easy to fold up and down to create enough room to carry some furniture, like dressers and desks. The gas mileage is pretty good for highways. My Escape is a V6 with FWD and I average 25 mpg. However city mileage is less than I would like, averaging 15-18 mpg. The vehicle is a bit noisy on the highway, but I often don't notice it when playing music. It's also not very comfortable when driving more than a few hours. The Escape handles like a car and is easy to maneuver. I didn't have any problems when I drove it in the snow and was able to get up some hills that other cars weren't able to handle. Overall I love the Ford Escape and would recommend it to my friends.

Great little SUV

by Lori from Lakewood, CO on Thu Dec 22 2011

I also own an older Explorer and was skeptical about downsizing. Bought this '06 used with 88K miles on it, but it seems brand new. Other than the wonky radio others have reported (volume issues), it has held up great over the miles. Rides more like a car than an SUV, and the clearance might be better for those of us in snow country. But, the mileage is great at 24 mpg, mixed driving. The four cylinders are not wimpy, and has plenty of spunk. Glad to see Ford still makes a stick shift as well - makes drivng so much more fun. Hope to put on another 100K.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

More power and better mpg than my 96 Explorer

by Ford enthusiast, Buy American from AZ on Tue May 17 2011

So far so good. I've only had it for two months. Excellent hwy mpg @25 for 780 mile trip! Average speed on that trip was 70+mph.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great car, great style, super practical

by Robby C from Los Angeles, CA on Mon Apr 30 2012

I purchased this car while living in Los Angeles. I need a car that was comfortable to drive, had decent pickup and was utility enough to get me to the mountains or the beach. Walking into the Ford dealership I had my eye on the SportsTrack, but the Escape better suited my needs and budget, so I went with it. I owned this car for just over 5 years. I loved it. The only maintenance I performed was very minor, like pads and rotors. It was a dream to drive around LA and surrounding beach, desert and mountainous areas. It was my friends and I go-to on any trip. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a compact SUV! I miss it!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Michael72 from Greer, SC on Wed Feb 09 2011

Very safe SUV. The 2006 Ford Escape is still one of the best compact SUVs available. The Safety Package includes front side-impact airbags and full-length head curtain airbags with a rollover sensor Powertrains and Performance.The 2006 Ford Escape has done well in government crash testing, earning a perfect five stars for the driver in frontal impacts and four stars for the front passenger. In side-impact crash tests, it received five stars for both front- and rear-seat occupants. Standard on the Escape XLS is a 2.3-liter inline four-cylinder engine that makes 153 horsepower and 152 pound-feet of torque. It is matched to either a five-speed manual transmission or a four-speed automatic. There's also the more potent 3.0-liter V6, which makes 200 hp and 193 lb-ft of torque. It is standard on XLT, XLT Sport and Limited models, and comes with an automatic transmission only. With this setup, the Escape can tow up to 3,500 pounds. Decent acceleration and better mileage make it a good option for budget-minded buyers.

Good but not most comfortable

by Practical Mom from Weston, CT on Thu Dec 23 2010

I've had my Escape for almost 5 years and have generally enjoyed driving it. No mechanical problems and has been good even in cold winters in CT. Handles well. But it's not the most comfortable for long drives - like to VT to ski. With age, the car has gotten noisy inside. It's hard to drive a long time without it affecting my hearing or needing to crank up the radio very loud to hear it. Also, I was disappointed in the gas milage - I get an average of 20 MPG for a 4 cylinder SUV. That's the same as my midsize 6 cylinder Maxima. In general, the car drives well and I am comfortable with its reliability and enjoy the space/carrying capability, but it's not the most comfortable and the noise is becoming a nuisance.

Solid feeling, Roomy Car

by Dad from Pinole, California on Fri Nov 03 2006

I am very pleasantly surprised by my Escape Limited. It is roomy, solid feeling, and handles well. The 3.0 litre engine makes it fun to drive. Wind noise is minimal, though there is way too much driveline noise for a front wheel drive vehicle. The only problem I have had is the rear passenger door weatherstripping keeps being pulled off as people enter the car. I usually keep my vehicles for about 8 years, and I have no doubt my Escape will easily go the distance. I would definately recommend it for anyone.

Will buy another Escape myself.

by Frankie from Lakeland, Florida on Mon Sep 25 2006

Car gives excellent performance and darn good gas mileage for a rather large V6. I have taken 6 Florida to New Jersey trips in it and was it very comfortable. It also tows a small boat easily. Great car and i will buy another one.

Love my "new" 2006 Ford Escape

by Ford's Number 1 Fan from Detroit, MI on Wed Feb 27 2008

I love the way it drives, the 6 cyl engine has plenty of "get-up n go", I love the 6-changer CD player, I especially love the way the artest and title come up when the radio is on. I love the visibility from the driver's seat which the wide front windshield provides. The window wiper on the back window gives me a good view out the back.

1 2 3 4 5