Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2006 Explorer

2006 Ford Explorer

2006 Ford Explorer

4.3

Have You Driven the 2006 Ford Explorer?

Traded one Explorer for another

by Explorer Enthusiast from Los Angeles on Fri Mar 30 2012

I have driven a Ford Explorer since 2003, when I purchased my first one. It has been such an all purpose design for me that I practically live in it. I am constantly on the road with it. It is great for hauling (I do swap meets), travelling (I've driven from Los Angeles to the Arctic Circle and back), and just plain luxury driving in great comfort. It easily transports from 1 to 7 people. My previous Explorer lasted for 185,000 miles and still no engine problems. I have great expectations for this one too. So far, so good! Get one!

Reliable and a comfortable ride

by Sam from OH on Tue Dec 31 2013

I only had a radiater issue which seems to be a common problem, other than that I have not even replaced the brake pads yet, I have 76K on this. I was lucky with the radiater issue also since the dealer was very nice and gave me good ammount of credit which I believe he said he got from Ford and acknowledged the issue with the Radiator.

Explore Eddie Bauer 2006

by Eddie Bauer Explorer Lover from Detroit, MI on Mon Apr 15 2013

I purchased this truck one month ago April 2013. I am the third owner. The truck still looks and runs like a brand new truck. Smooth ride. Gas millage not too bad. It had 101,500 miles at purchase. I can't wait to take it on the road. Love It.

Love this vehicle!

by Noah from Spokane,WA on Sun Apr 12 2015

I just purchased my 06 XLT 3 months ago with 86k on it. The vehicle is in great shape, super clean inside and out, quiet, comfortable, stylish for the year. Overall I enjoy everything about my explorer. It is the XLT but it does have some extras that most did not come with standard on the XLT. I have the back up sensors, 17 inch rims, 3Rd row seating and the grill is the same as the limited edition. It's a random package but maybe someone ordered it this way when they purchased it new.

Overall a great vehicle.

by Tamara Jones from Rocklin, CA on Thu Apr 02 2009

We have owned our fully loaded 2006 Eddie Bauer Explorer for 3 years now and have 37k miles on it. It has been very reliable and the only thing we had break was the electronic third row seat. Ford took care of it and I just had to pay $100 for repair since my warranty was up. We bought this vehicle because they were dealing so low on the big SUV's. MSRP was $44k and they gave us $10k off sticker price for it brand new. We had a 2002 Mustang before this which is now owned by a family member and no problems at all with that car either. I'm starting to think Ford makes a decent car now.

I love my Eddie Bauer Explorer, but...

by Beeba from Mattapoisett, MA on Fri Oct 26 2007

I have had 2 issues with it. The ticking noise from the 3V motor irritates me, makes it sound like I have a lifter problem or something. Very annoying, especially when you are in a closed in area like at the bank at the drive thru. Have learned to live with it. Also there is a transmission issue that they are not able to correct yet, still writing a program to correct this. "design flaw". When you get to a red light after coming to a complete stop, the vehicle jerks forward, almost like someone tapped you from behind. Not a random thing, happens constantly and there won't be a fix for it until sometime first quarter 2008, I'm told. Ford should offer people with a problem that they "can't" fix yet either another vehicle or an extension on their warranty. SOMETHING. It may sound like I hate my car, but I don't, I love it, just hate these issues.

Great Ford Explorer for the Price

by American Car buyer from Catonsville, Maryland on Thu Jul 15 2010

Averaging about 17 miles per gallon. The car was very clean and runs very well. I would recommend shopping for an extended warranty on the internet before going to the dealership. Otherwise a good shopping experience.

Explorer Review

by Bel Air Car Guy from Bel Air, MD on Sun Feb 21 2010

Purchased a 2006 Explorer V-8 Limited with 32,000 miles. Roomy, comfortable seats, and smooth ride.

2006 explorer

by Buttercup from Chesapeake va on Sun Sep 22 2013

Nice SUV minor details that were quickly corrected by the sales manager. Like the mileage with the 2wd. Will look for this sales manager when buying our next car.

this Explorer really is the best Explorer ever!

by sbessette91 from Conyers, Georgia on Sat Jul 15 2006

The new 2006 Ford Explorer really is the best Explorer ever! The new exterior styling is amazing. The "BOLD" new grill gives the Explorer a fresher, more aggresive look. The refreshed interior is just a great place to be. The seats are extrememly comfortable, the leather is rich, it's a great new interior. The navigation is comparable to that of a Mrecedes-Benz. Moving the gear shifter from the steering wheel column to the floor is great. The truck hanldes like a car. I have owned Explorers since 1995 and this one is the best!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Our Take on the 2006 Ford Explorer

The very mention of the Ford Explorer can still raise eyebrows. Some motorists - typically those who are not sport-utility vehicle drivers - will still ask, "Wasn't there some bad news about the Explorer a few years back? What was it?"

It was about vehicle rollovers, it involved millions of replacement tires on Explorers, and it was more than five years ago. Like most controversies involving superheated passions, it's kind of difficult to tell who came out ahead in the long run.

Three positives undoubtedly occurred:

* More motorists learned that SUVs, with their comparatively high centers of gravity, must be driven carefully in some conditions.

* Millions learned that messing with tire pressures on... Read More