Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2002 Focus

2002 Ford Focus

$493 - $5,777  MSRP Range
2002 Ford Focus

3.9

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 2002 Ford Focus?

handles surprisingly great in the snow!!!

by midwest barbie from rockford, il on Mon Mar 02 2009

does great in the snow, handles well, the hatchback is roomy and convenient. When you move the passenger seat forward you can fit larger objects in the backseat. The steering wheel is in an odd position for me, for some reason it's just not comfortable to hold onto. An awesome little car, perfect for first time buyer or business person!

Trustworthy Car

by First-time Car Owner (who happens to be female) from Los Angeles, CA on Tue Aug 07 2007

This was the first car I ever purchased for myself. I bought my car in the summer of 2002 and it has been wonderful! I've only replaced the battery once and have never had substantial issues or problems with my car. She runs very smoothly and gets respectable mpg. My only complaint is the brake pads which seem to deteriorate more rapidly in Fords (from what I'm told) than other cars. This causes the brakes to squeak a bit more than on other cars. Solid, reliable, and a cute car for someone looking for an inexpensive mode of transportation.

Great Car

by Puddle Jumper from Kendallville, IN on Mon Oct 20 2014

I currently have 152,000 miles on a 2002 ZX3. Engine has never been touched. Original exhaust. Gets 28-36 mpg depending on conditions.. Controls are simple and easy to use. Drives loke a go-cart with 50 series tires. Replaced wheel bearings at 140,000 miles when 1st one failed. A/C just stopped working at 150,000 miles. It has never been charged, assume it is just low on freon. Still running strong.

2002 ZX3 5spd 2.0 Zetec good car even at 212,000K

by truckguy from southern maine on Sun Jun 15 2014

I bouight this car cheap last summer....had to do some repairs to get it working dependable and safe. So far, car has been pretty good....cheap to run and fun to drive. Getting 35-38 mpg....drives like a go cart. The heat will blast you out of the car in the winter. AC needs to be charged but still works even after 12 yrs! Lots of cheap plastic but not bad overall....I wouldn't get an automatic as those then to fail. Hear of some of these 5 speeds go from 300-over 400,000 miles....will see on mine

not worth it...

by need a better one from hattiesburg,ms on Wed Apr 25 2007

this was an ok car when first bought(used) but getting to be a pain. the fuel filter,brakes,egnition switch, & transmission have all been replaced & more continues to need replacing. i have put almost as much money into reparing it as i did when it was purchased.

Does not recommend this car!!

Reliable Car Definitely Not For Looks !

by teenage girl from Chicago IL on Mon May 29 2017

Got this car at 135,000 miles.. was my first car my dad bought it at an auto auction he had no idea it was a stick shift so yeah that was interesting... Although it was a fun learning experience it was still a overall good car when it came to reliability. Very minor fixes whenever something did go wrong and awesome on gas. Moral of the story is if you want a cheap and ugly car that will last a long time and won't need a lot of fixing this is the car for you.

Just the best all around.

by Vasy from New York, NY on Tue Sep 12 2006

Could use a little bit more power in a basic engine, but other then that it is just awesome. Better then Acura it replaced. It is much better in price/performance to any comparable Japanese car.

Extremely reliable car

by GiAts from MN on Wed Dec 27 2017

I know a lot of Ford vehicles aren’t...loved, but this car was my first car, 135,000 miles when I bought, and never failed me once for the two years I owned it. It handled really well in the snow (Minnesota) and servicing it was very affordable.

Happy with my Purchase

by Deborah from Orange,CT on Sun Jul 13 2014

I am very happy with my purchase. This car was a birthday present for my daughter who turned 16. This is a great car, right size, etc... for my daughter who will be getting her license within the next few months. The car has low mileage and single owner.

1 thing needs changed

by a nurse from pennsylvania on Sat Sep 30 2006

the air flow vents on the dashboard area does not point in the correct direction to cool the driver. The angle is not correct. To get the full affect you must move your right hand off the stering wheel from the 3oclock position,something I feel could turn into a probable situation. Otherwise I am very happy with my focus. Thank you!

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2002 Ford Focus

Sometimes, even for the all-knowing, prescient, and infallible automotive journalist, a car arrives that is full of surprise.

I am driving such a car as I enter a climbing S-curve at 50 miles per hour. I am in third gear, the exhaust is rumbling behind me, and just for giggles I shift up into fourth at 4,000 rpms and stomp the gas. The car rockets forward, the exhaust note deepens, and the smile on my face broadens. Am I in a hot, tuned Honda? No. Am I in a screaming Subaru Impreza WRX? No.

I am in a front-wheel-drive Ford Focus and I have come to realize that there is a theme to this car: Drive it hard, drive it fast, corner it fast, brake it hard.

It is not, of course, just any Ford Focus... Read More