Find out if this car is the best match for you.
1997 Accord

1997 Honda Accord

$277 - $5,197  MSRP Range

Have You Driven the 1997 Honda Accord?

Very Reliable and Cheap to Fix

by Jessa M'lyn from Fresno, CA on Tue Oct 19 2010

I own a 1997 Honda Accord Special Edition. I bought the car about 7 months ago with 148,000 miles on it for $2600 dollars and it has been well worth its money. I replaced the timing belt and water pump out of caution/paranoia(you usually want to if you dont know whether the person who owned it ever has) and the mechanic recommended I replace the valve cover and that has been it! The car is in amazing shape. It drives great. I've taken it on 7 road trips of 4 hours or longer and it has never had any issue at all. I commute very often for modeling work in LA and San Fransisco and I would be screwed if I'd bought the car I'd originally wanted: A VW Beetle. This car is a VERY smart buy as a used car for a first car owner and ALL of the parts are cheap to get. It looks great, drives quietly, handles well, and has tons of space for friends and for stuff! Only issue I have is my windows roll up and down realllllly slow, haha. Thats it though. BUY THIS CAR. I was terrified to purchase my first car but I'm sooo glad I went with a car that I needed and not a car that I just wanted. :)

Best Value for the money

by Peter from Illinois on Mon Apr 02 2012

Extremely Reliable with excellent resale value. Unbreakable! Great MPG. Easy to repair yourself without the expense of a mechanic. 1994-1997 is the way to go!

great car

by hansenbm from Cincinnati, OH on Sun Nov 20 2011

I purchased this car used in 2002, have had it now going on a decade. Never had any major repair issues with the vehicle. It's been on many 14 hour road trips without hesitation. Mileage now reads 270,000 and unfortunately the brake line started leaking. If the lines weren't so much to replace I would drive the wheels off the car! Most dependable car... I'm in the works of buying a 2007 or 2008 accord now but this car has been nothing short of amazing to me!!

It has been an awesome car

by Neamerjell from Cincinnati, OH on Mon Oct 22 2012

I bought it used with 20k miles on it in 2001 when the 1989 Honda Accord I bought off my parents died. It is now 2012 and it has 208,700 some odd miles on it. And I have beat the tar out of it! It is held together with duct tape, window caulk, and the hand of God... and His grip is loosening. I have said that I would drive it until the wheels fell off, put some new wheels on it and drive it some more. Well, I've done that - I replaced the front wheel bearings earlier this year. It leaks everything but brake and power steering fluid, most notably transmission fluid. But the engine still starts right up and runs great. This poor car is literally on life support until I can buy a newer used car (can't afford a new one). It is using transmission fluid at a rate of a gallon per week. I am truly impressed with Honda quality. To have lasted 188k miles and 11 years, I think I got my money's worth and then some!

Great first used car

by college girl from Buffalo, NY on Fri Mar 04 2011

Bought this car for my college bound daughter who needed something inexpensive but reliable & comfortable. This car was all that. We got a very good deal & the previous owner took very good care of the car. Had low mileage for being 13 yrs old at the time of purchase.

Great car for the money. Efficient/Reliable

by J.O. from Chicago, Illinois on Mon Jul 30 2012

Great car. This is my third Accord same year same body style same model. Gets up to 30 mpg highway. Good ergonomics. Incredibly reliable. Basic fluid changes and brakes/tires. Comfortable to drive. I have a modified suspension on mine and it performs well. It's a very fast car but it does handle considerably well. I've gotten over 150k on my first one but I've seen these accords go 300k+ with proper maintenance. Sensible car for someone who doesn't want something high maintenance or expensive to maintain. Holds resale value considerably well. Many parts shared with earlier accord (90-93). Good first car or car for college student. New parts / used parts very easy to find.

First Accord, Not Last Accord

by In1Accord from Durham, NC on Wed Jul 18 2007

I bought this car in 2004 with 108,000 miles. The final price was $7,009.50. NOW I SEE WHY. The only money I've put into this car has been spent on routine maintainence. It now has 170,540 miles and it continues to purr. No squeaks or rattles! I drive it everyday to school (20 miles roundtrip) and I go home every weekend (100 miles roundtrip). The PAINT is even still glossy. I would definitely recommend this car as a first one or as a second, third, or fourth! It's amazing and I'll never buy anything other than a Honda!

Best car I have ever owned

by Previous Honda Owner from Palm Desert, CA on Mon Nov 15 2010

If Honda keeps making them like the 1997 Accord I had they will always be the best vechicle around. I can't say enough about this wonderful automobile.

First Car

by The Big Honda Accord from Riverside County, CA on Sat Jul 04 2009

Extremely satisfied with my first car purchased. I've had it for 4 years and has worked excellent. Although the paint is a little sunburned, the car is great overall. Very reliable car for a busy guy like me. School, work, fun, everywhere you need to go, you can count on this Accord. Now I'm saving for the 2006 or 2007 Accord. Not really interested in the 2008 and newest model.

car

by hblackef from on Tue Dec 04 2012

I'm 18 and my dad gave me his old 97 accord special edition, leather interior, best car in the world.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 1997 Honda Accord

When you've been competing in the American automotive market for 25 years and have carried off numerous awards, you must be doing something right.

Representative of that "right" designation is the Honda Accord, an American-built automobile that has been the subject of kudos by newspapers and buff books over the years. Continuing in this light is the 1997 Honda Accord, a car designed, engineered and produced in the United States.

All Accords sold in the United States are manufactured by Honda of America Manufacturing in Marysville, Ohio. Available in sedan, coupe and wagon, the '97 Accords offer a balance of handling, ride, comfort, sportiness and practicality.

That a pretty tall order for one... Read More