2010 Insight

4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Great Commuter Car

by ajk from Des Moines, IA on December 2, 2009

I purchased an Insight LX a couple of months ago, and have been very happy with it thus far. While I was originally planning to purchase a Prius, my wife already has a Prius and we decided that it would make more sense to get a smaller (and cheaper!) vehicle for my commute (about 12 miles each way). The insight is not going to blow anybody away performance-wise (although in sport mode with econ off it blows the Prius out of the water), but my 47.1 mpg average over about 6000 miles so far more than makes up for that. I haven't had any problems with the car, and find it to be generally comfortable and sort of fun to drive. I miss having a manual transmission, but the CVT in the Insight is, from what I hear, a necessity in terms of getting the maximum benefit from the hybrid system. While the Insight is small, its form factor makes it surprisingly versatile. I frequently need to move large boxes, and my dog's kennel, and have had no problems in that regard (far better than my old '08 civic). The car actually feels smallest in terms of its width, though other than sacrificing center console space, that doesn't seem to be a big deal. I definitely would not recommend this vehicle for anybody who routinely needs to have three people in the rear seat, although I've had two adult passengers in back on a few occasions and have had no complaints. The interior is definitely that of a budget vehicle, but is generally well-configured and attractive. I'm a huge fan of the hybrid-specific display readouts, which provide some useful fuel economy information and nice cues regarding real-time driving efficiency. In terms of features, the Insight EX and EX Nav are certainly more full-featured than my LX, but I can't complain too much (considering its purpose as a commuter vehicle). The LX lacks cruise control and variable intermittent wipers, but includes temperature-based climate control and an external temperature sensor, which I'm not used to seeing on base-level vehicles. All-in-all, I'm happy with my little Insight, and would highly recommend to others who are looking for an efficient, versatile, and relatively inexpensive vehicle.

If you can Go for it...

by Greeny McCheapster from Warren, RI on August 11, 2010

Ok.. So I spent the better part of 6-8 months researching cars hovering around 15-20k that I could get great gas mileage with and count on for the long haul. I spent much too much time reviewing the Y@ris, Fiest@, & Fit on sites just like this for countless hours only to fall in love with the Honda Fit and then having my heart broken (luckily) on no year end incentives from the manufactr... Reanalyzing the market I found the Insight and couldnt believe the incentive, MPG's, warranty's, look & feel, and overall sticker against similar models (within the under 20k range).. So I moved on it and couldnt be happier with the futuristic bladerunner setup and figit'ing with all the gagets to get the best MPG's.. And let me say for the record (and please do review other sites) that you can get 50-60 MPG if you play it right and take it easy - which is simply unreal.. So yes - if your looking for a hot rod - look else where - I went from a car with 220 HP to this Pepster and lets just say the high speed lane or passing people just doesnt seem that important anymore when your getting double the millage (if your an aggressive driver you may want to pass - because the car will be frowning blue at you - which may in turn depress you..). And Im 6'2'' and have no problem FITing in the car. So if you can hustle a good sticker on the lot and think like me that this could be an investment if gas prices are at a current lull per the recession and senseless folks are still buying land tanks (up 20% this yr..) Then pull the trigger Best of luck & read up on the whole tips to increase your MPG (like not using your AC when city driving) Cheers

2010 Honda Insight LX

by Honda Convert from Modesto, CA on October 16, 2010

I have owned my new 2010 Honda Insight LX for about two and a half months now, and can honestly say I got much more than I anticipated. I am consistently averaging over 50 mpg with mpgs topping out at 60 if I'm careful on the highway and keep between 60-65 mph. For those concerned with its performance I can safely say it is rather peppy for a hybrid, and accelerates from rest much faster than the 2010 Toyota Prius (The Insight can spin its tires around corners, try that in a prius!). The Prius is faster as speeds increase to about 40 mph though. My family owns both the 2010 Prius and 2010 Insight with my preference being the Insight. Styling is great, much more aggressive than the Prius and it gets many looks from passersby. I enjoy driving both hybrids, but for affordability reasons (I am a recent college grad) I chose the Honda Insight.

I luv this car

by MamaG from St Louis, MO on June 16, 2012

I was getting 12 to 15 MPG when the price of gas jumped, turned in that car on a new 2010 Insight. Best move I ever made. I've gotten 55 MPG on the highway and right around 36 to 38 in the city. No complaints, it's perfect. Would buy another one in a heart beat.

Excellent Car

by G from New Jersey on February 7, 2010

This car combines great handling with excellent brakes. It is a very responsive and well designed car. My combined mileage has hovered around 45. The EX model is the way to go. I did not get the Nav system - too costly. I use my Garmin Nuvi which works great. The body structure is tight and strong and the front seats are comfortable. The rear seat is a little tight for tall people and the carge area is more than adequate. The fit and finish are top notch. I test drove the 2010 Prius before I drove and purchased the Insight. I did not like the Prius handling or brake response. I have had the car less than 3 months and have driven 8,000 miles. I have not had a single problem with this car. It is a very synergistic car - all components works well together. Based upon the cost, quality, handling and fuel economy, I highly recommend this car.

This is a great car!

by Tomaso from Fort Lauderdale on May 27, 2013

I test drove this car in the picture advertised by Florida Fine Cars in Miami (May, 2013). It's in great condition and has leather interior! That had to be special ordered and means there was no wear and tear on the seats. I would have bought it, but I had seen one with black interior and fewer miles for $1000 more, so I went for the black cloth interior. I had been comparing the Prius to the Insight for a few weeks, test driving and analyzing both, and I opted for the Insight for several reasons. First, I like the exterior styling of the Honda: it's sportier and not so bugeyed looking. (Talking about Prius 2007-2009. Starting in 2010 Toyota toned down the front headlights and they look better (imho) but they took away the storage space in the doors. I wonder whose idea that was. Now there's only room for a drink in the doors. The 2010 and after also has an open sided storage place between the driver's footwell and the passenger's.In that space the 2007-2009 Priuses had open space. The new design would be better if there were a little sliding door or some way to hide the items you put on the shelf. As it is, it's open and people could see through the windows what you have there. The dashboard and controls is another reason I went with the Insight. The Prius's dashboard was simpler without many lights. Most controls were done on the touch screen. The Insight has a super cool dash, with blue and green lights, more familiar radio and a/c dials and buttons rather than the touch screen. I liked the Prius's armrest better, nice and long, with quite a sizable console for storage. The Honda's armrest is dinky, with a little bit of storage. The Toyota had more places to stash things: 2 glove compartments, a CD compartment, a sunglasses holder from the ceiling, and in the back under the cargo area were nice divided storage bins. The Prius has more room in the back seat for bigger passengers than the Insight, and with the seats folded down, I could put a men's bicycle in the hatchback. The Insight's space is a little smaller, but it does have door storage, space under the cargo floor with divided areas. I could probably get a bicycle in the Honda's back with the seats down. I also tried to lie down in the back, I had to lie diagonally (I'm 6 feet.) So the Toyota might be a better family car, with a little more space that you could easily turn into a campmobile (with a screen room around it.) They're both great cars, but I got the Insight for it's style and dashboard controls mainly. Suggestions for improvement: PRIUS: put the door storage back, make one glove compartment lockable, don't use light cloth on the armrests, come up with a way to close the middle front console out of sight through the windows. INSIGHT: Make the rear slope a bit more generous to the head room for back seat passengers. More storage solutions for the front console and dash. Make one in Ultramarine blue! Get rid of the tacky beige cloth. It's called "grey" in the ads, but it's beige. The Prius had nice medium and dark grey velour-like cloth interior, but the beige (bisque) was so light you'd have to be really careful to keep it clean. The Prius has leather, too, and the Honda should offer that option as well.

I drive 100 miles a day

by Newly Hybridized from Woodstock, NY on August 19, 2010

I've had my Insight for a little over two weeks and I now feel like I've driven it for enough miles (~2,000) and in enough different conditions (city, mountains, and highway) to rave about it unconditionally. I drive 100 mostly highway miles per day and I am averaging 49.5 miles per gallon; I'm not using any hypermiling techniques, but I do find myself aware of the hints given by the entertaining color-coded speedo and multi-function displays. I'm not happy only because that is double the mileage I was getting in my 10-year-old VW Golf, but because I truly enjoy driving this car. I'm going to comment on two of the things that others (including cars.com) have addressed as negatives but which I see as positives: 1) the seating position of the Insight is lower than the Golf or the Prius, but I think this is a matter of personal preference, and I find the lower position much more like a sports car and less like the bus-driver position preferred by those in minivans and suvs, and 2) The split rear window is actually a plus when driving at night with a higher vehicle shining its headlights in your back window. The bar is directly in line with the headlights of many trucks, cutting down greatly on the glare in the rear-view mirror; also, any visibility lost in the center mirror is more than made up for by the oversized side mirrors.

Love my Insight

by HawkI from Iowa on May 4, 2012

I thought I would wait until I made it through an Iowa winter before I chimed in about this car. I LOVE IT! I'm consistently getting 45 mpg in town and generally above 54 mpg on the highway. Easily enough get up and go for passing and maintaining a cruising speed of 70 mph on the interstate. Only complaint: I'm having issues with the tires....had flats three times this spring and one blow out. Not sure if it's just bad luck or the initial tires were that cheap. I would buy this car again in a heart beat.

Fun Fun Fun

by Car Nut from Kauai, HI on March 28, 2011

The Insight is a super-fun little car. It reminds me of my mom's Honda CVCC in the 70's, quick, agile and full of life. And, the most fun part is that it gets close to 50 MPG. In 13 months it still gets 47-49 MPG, and with gas here in Hawaii at $4.32 gal, that really keeps it fun! The only draw back is acceleration, but the gizmos on the dash tell you (and prompt you) to keep fast starts to a minimum.

reliable

by practical driver from northeast, pa on December 11, 2014

i had been researching and comparing the insight, prius and vw tdi wagon. i chose the insight for several reasons: price, interior design, hatch back. the biggest issue i have being a 5'10" woman is the uncomfortable driver's seat. it is painful and the only reason i am getting rid of the car. i have gotten up to 59 mpg hwy mileage consistently. mpg around town comes in around 43-48 in the summer and about 38mpg in the winter months. i have hauled a dining room table, a chaise lounge chair, two bales of straw, an entire garden box of plants in buckets, various loads of lumber and much more :) the car is incredibly reliable. i keep the oil changed and the tires filled and it keeps going and going. we had a 2003 honda civic hybrid that we got rid of at 249k, and it still had a lot of life left in it, just wanted something newer with a hatch. i am really going to miss it when it's gone.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8