Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2013 Genesis

2013 Hyundai Genesis

2013 Hyundai Genesis

Have You Driven the 2013 Hyundai Genesis?

Most luxury and performance for the dollar

by Low profile sports car enthusiast from on Tue Oct 29 2013

I purchased a 2013 Hyundai Genesis R-spec with a 5.0 liter engine and sport-tuned suspension. Before buying this car, I test drove the following cars: the Hyundai Genesis R-spec, an Audi A6, a BMW 550 and a Cadillac XTS. All four vehicles were elegant cars. But after test-driving all four vehicles and reasearching the specs of the Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Jaguar XF, Lexus GS, Infinity M, Volvo S80 and Lincoln MKS, my conclusion is as follows. The Hyundai Genesis R-spec offered comarible luxury and performance to almost all the other vehicles. But the Genesis costs about $15,000 to $30,000 less than all the other vehciles. For me, it was not worth it to spend the extra money for a "brand name". If you have money to burn and enjoy driving a name brand, buy a name brand and pay $15,000 to $30,000 extra for a vehicle. Otherwise, save your money for something important like necessities, and enjoy the Genesis.

After the first 2000 miles

by 1st time Hyundai Owner from Virginia Beach, VA on Tue Mar 26 2013

This is an excellent car and an outstanding value for the money. Recent cars have been Lexus and BMW, and these are my bases for comparison. Simply, the slight increase in luxuriousness of these previous models is, in no uncertain terms, not worth the additional cost of the cars. This Genesis is everything one would expect for the money, plus a little more. Brief specific impressions: quick and reliable startup, consistent keyless functioning, MPG estimates are accurate, electronic controls are a little bit congested, interior is roomy, functional trunk capacity is a little disappointing (also with other Hyundais I have rented on vacation), voice commands work fairly well, precise and comfortable gear shift control.

Great Car, Warranty and Price

by Am Shank from Newport News, VA on Sun Jan 05 2014

I have both a 2013 Azera and a 2013 Genesis. These are truly great cars for the money, thousands less than others in this class. The 8 speed transmission and the 3.8 V6 in the Genny are made for each other. The average Joe does not need the R spec as this V6 will "get it" when needed. If you don't need Navigation, Camera, Sunroof, etc.., the base model Genny is a steal at around $30k. Both my Azera and my Genesis turn heads!

Outstanding

by Happyowner from Phoenix on Sun Feb 23 2014

Where to begin? For the money, this is by far the best value of any car I can think of. Performance: I have the 3.8L and it performs incredibly well. Acceleration is effortless. Rear wheel drive rocks. Transmission is very smooth. I get 24-26 miles/gallon in mixed driving. I had a 4 cylinder car prior to this one with half the horse power and I would average 28. It's remarkable. Safety: this was the main reason I bought this car. It is built like a tank, top crash scores in all tests. Braking is very responsive and effective. The massive power available to be called upon at anytime with just a harder push of the gas pedal has already helped me avoid a couple of potential crashes. This is not a beefed up Sonata, this is in a class of its own. At 333, it has more HP than most SUVs. Comfort: acoustic glass, extremely quiet, once you put the music on you're completely isolated from outside noise. Seats are comfortable, wish the driver seat had an additional height setting. Do yourself a favor and buy some high end tires, the ones that come with it in the 6 cyl are a joke. I put 18" wheels and 245 Michelin Sport tires and it has made a huge difference in handling and comfort. The car also looks more masculine. Warranty: the other main reason I bought this car. Complete peace of mind, can you put a price on that? Looks: simply stunning. I got the Casablanca white. Paint quality is very high. Led brake lights are very classy. This car is better looking than most of the luxury sedans out there in my opinion. Install the Genesis badge in the back for a killer look. Could not be happier with the purchase. Find one that's just under 1 year old and you'll pay the same others pay for a new small and uninspiring vehicle with a dishwasher engine and 5 star crash scores against a flock of birds.

So Happy I bought the Genesis

by Speedster 356 owner from Hot Springs, AR on Sun Jul 14 2013

In the past past I have owner a Mercedes 430 SEL and a Cadillac DHS both of which were fine cars but neither came close to the Genesis in comfort, performance or quality . Or for that matter---looks either. The Genesis is as quiet as the Mercedes (which had double pane glass for quietness.) I got both the Premium and the technology packages and feel that they are definitely worthwhile and make the car as close to a big Lexus in every way. Yesterday I was very late for a meeting and had to really push the Genesis on some back roads and the handling was surpurb---the suspension is sensational with the ability to take curves at speed like a sports car. Today I drove home from church--a fairly level 19 mile route with some lights and some small hills, I tried to see what was possible driving sanely and stayed under 40 mph and the MPG instrument showed I got an average of 32 MPG on that trip. I did drive like I had an egg under my accelerator foot but I was amazed at the MPG if I drive it carefully. But with it's handling and 330 HP I know I will have plenty of fun with it too---and the MPG will drop to published specs. I am extremely happy with my choice in the Hyundai Genesis.

Dream Machine

by Octogenarian from on Thu Aug 01 2013

The Genesis is a dream machine . It is refined, smooth, quiet, quick, powerful, and substantial. It weighs about 4000 pounds. It goes from 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. It reminds me of the 1954 big Pontiac. It has it all.

Absolutely the best vehicle I have ever driven.

by jiminwisconsin from Winneconne, wi on Wed Oct 08 2014

I am 63 years old and have owned at least 20 cars in my life and this one is by far the best. Extremely quiet ride, tremendous acceleration and decent gas mileage, smooth ride and great interior. If I didn't know it I would never thought it was a Hyundai. My friends all agree it is a great car and as amazed as I am with it. Not a fan of the exterior design they attempt to make it look like a Mercedes and don't need to. Otherwise you will not go wrong if your looking for a luxury sedan.

Good decision

by Satisfied Customer from Scottsdale, AZ on Mon Dec 03 2012

I have the 4.8 engine, so it's not wonderful on gas, but takes off like a rocket. Comfortable for my 6'3" sons in the back. I have the special stereo package with the controls in the center, between the two front seats so you can mess with the controls without taking your eyes off the road or even having to reach for the controls. Much better than having them on the steering wheel, although the controls are there, too. Great looking car. Comfortable. Smooth ride. Performs well. Love it!

Under rated luxury performance sedan

by CC from Edison, NJ on Sat Nov 23 2013

After owned multiple vehicles this Hyundai is by far one of the best. RWD driving dynamics are excellent, suspension provides a balanced comfort and performance. Seats are very comfortable. Very quiet and refined ride. 3.8L V6 provides more power than most people needs. The only complaints I have is the brakes are very sensitive and a smooth stop takes some practice, the center dash lights for the buttons can also get washed out in the sunlight easily, passenger seat are also not height adjustable (I'm 5' 9" and height is perfect for me but anyone shorter than me felt seat position was a little low).

Genesis v Lexus 350

by Tracy from Nashville on Sat Aug 15 2015

I have driven several Lexus models over the past 20 years and I believe they are A+ in all particulars. There is no doubt Lexus is a slightly better quality car than a Hyundai. However, if you consider the lower cost of the Genesis vs. the added benefits of the Lexus 350, it is a no brainer. The Hyundai is a much better value, all things considered. I love mine.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2013 Hyundai Genesis

Editor's note: This review was written in January 2012 about the 2012 Hyundai Genesis. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2013, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Even though the 2012 Hyundai Genesis sedan wasn't built explicitly for family duty, it's one of those rare cars that's smooth and seamless for a family of five to live with on a day-to-day basis.

The 2012 Genesis has evolved only slightly since last year's model. See the two compared here. While I drove the base 3.8-liter V-6 version, the Genesis is also available in 4.6-liter and 5.0-liter versions, as well as a 5.0-liter, performance-oriented R-Spec version... Read More