2002 Santa Fe

2002 Hyundai Santa Fe

$610 - $5,834  MSRP Range
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe

Have You Driven the 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe?

Great Car!!!

by ghill from Ripley, MS on Fri Jan 22 2010

I just bought this car 6 mths ago, with 150k miles, but it drives like brand new. No problems whatsoever. LOVE IT!

A Great Automobile

by Hyundai fan from Hilton Head Island on Sun Nov 29 2009

You can't go wrong with a Santa Fe. This baby has 130k miles and runs like new. With the triptronic transmission, i still have the original brakes. timing belts are expensive every 60k but its worth the investment vs getting a new vehicle. Highly reliable, excellent engineering. Decent mileage, smooth ride; 2.7 V6 excellent weight distribution.

125000 Miles Still Awesome

by Wally from Dayton, OH on Mon Sep 13 2010

Bought car with @ 20K miles. I have changed the oil and had 2 tires replaced thus far...are you kidding me??!! Car runs like the day I bought it. A simply amazingly well manufactured vehicle.

160K and still chuggin'

by JaguarMoonStar from Long Island, NY on Mon Sep 28 2009

My 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS is an amazing vehicle, especially for the money. I've brought it on the beach for some four wheeling, I've pushed it over 110mph, it has over 160,000 miles on it, and it's still running quite well. It's really going to be emotional the day I have to give this car up...

A Clydesdale

by Brian from Fairfax, VA on Sun Apr 26 2009

My wife bought her SF with 30k on the clock in 2003. Two kids and 80 thousand miles later, this car has been nothing but good to us. Performance- being a car fanatic, my only complaint is that the passenger car engine has a passenger car torque curve. You really need to get the RPMs up to make things happen. However, we have had it loaded with firewood and towing a trailer, and it got us where we needed to be. Mileage is so-so, but the AWD is great in the slick (and designed w/Porsche assistance). Looks: Well, you don't confuse your car for anyone else's in the lot. The paint scratches somewhat easily, but it buffs out easily, too. Interior has been holding up great. Repairs: Timing belt at 65k ran 300 bucks, struts/shocks at 110k were about 800. Other than that, just routine maintenance with our local mechanic (CSC in Chantilly). Reliability: Never left us stranded, this thing has gone everywhere and done everything for us. I used to be quite anti-Hyundai, but this ownership experience has completely changed that. You're getting a phenomenal bargain on a car that, sadly, has lousy resale value.

I love this car!

by Lisandra from Rockville, MD on Sat Dec 27 2008

I have owned this car for 6 years now and have put 115,000 miles on it. I have never had to take it in for servicing outside of routine maintenance. I have a basic model, without bells and whisles. Of the many things I like about it, I can mention it has lots of cubby holes for storage, a full sized spare tire, and 3 power outlets that come in handy with all the electronics we use nowadays. I'm absolutely beside myself for having to trade up to a minivan, due to a growing family. I would highly recommend it.

No complaints

by Shadow caster from Chicago,IL on Tue Mar 11 2008

This car has been good to me for 6 yrs. I only had some minor problems in the beginning. Replaced a fuse and fixed a oil gasket ring which were all under warranty. The warranty was awesome and never really used it. I have 111,000 mile on it and it runs better than ever. The original tires lasted 90,000 miles and the exhaust is still original. MPG is low due to the all-time 4WD. dealerships were all good. Always started even in the Cold Chicago Winter! for a fair price of 21,500 I feel I got my moneys worth and more. I highly recommend this car. Took this car all over the country and had 100% trust in it. Later!

I would buy it again

by Chad from Colorado on Thu Jul 02 2009

Bought the car in 2002, this review is written in 2009. We have had the car into the dealer once. The check engine light was on, the issue was covered as a free repair/recall issue. Otherwise, no other problems in 172,000 miles. Ok gas milage. We will consider buying a Santa Fe again when this one dies...which could be a long while from now.

CRYING

by Sol L. from Hammond, Indiana on Wed Jul 22 2015

I bought my 2002 Sante Fe in Dec of 2001. I have 215000 Miles on it, Sadly, I must give it up. Its getting to the point that I have to fix a lot of minor stuff frequently. This has been the most reliable, dependable auto I have ever owned. I have, in 14 years, done nothing other than routine maintenance on it. Its gotten me through many Chicagoland winters intact. I have never gotten stuck or even slid in it. I am buying the New (2016) Hyundai Tucson when it comes out this fall. I only hope that the new one gives me as many years of pleasurable, trustworthy driving as the 2002 Hyundai Sante Fe did.

Some good and some bad...

by Hyundai Girl from Alberta, Canada on Mon Jul 30 2007

I've owned this vehicle for 5 years and what I loved most about the Santa Fe was the interior space and the superior fuel economy (manual). Also liked it's pep and quiet smooth coasting at high highway speeds, although somewhat gutless in passing. What I didn't like was putting in new front brakes, timing belt, release bearing and clutch all within 88,000 km's!! Luckily, most were covered under the warranty... but now that it's up, I'm not feeling very secure in it's reliability judging by past experience. Would I buy another Santa Fe? Possibly, as the 2008's are sure to have been improved and fine tuned since it's early days. In summary, I'm gonna miss my Santa Fe... but am looking forward to moving on to a superior vehicle.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe

Hyundai made its sport-utility vehicle stand out in a crowd. Some would say it's because the rest of the vehicles in the gathering are shunning it, because of its "funky," "goofy," "hog-ugly" exterior, according to comments I've read on automotive bulletin boards. I for one like its looks, except in white, which is too stark, especially given the big red taillights.

In my view, it's better for a small player like Hyundai to polarize the audience than to try to please everyone, which tends to lead to a bland sameness. Besides, the Korean manufacturer has the lure of a knockout price.

Santa Fes come in three series, base, the fancier GLS and the loaded LX. At any level, you can opt for a front-wheel-drive... Read More