2013 Veloster

2013 Hyundai Veloster

2013 Hyundai Veloster

4.4

Have you driven the 2013 Hyundai Veloster?

2013 Veloster Turbo Manual

by Bruce from Baltimore, MD on Fri Jul 05 2013

Fun, Quick, yet economical is what this is in one phrase. owned the car for about 5 months. here is my take: Performance: 1.6L turbo is very good for passing people on the highway. its no supra but it gets the job done. more oomph than expected to be honest. since the car is only 2800lbs., even with 201HP, it feels quick and light, plus 195TQ will surprise you. Comfort: the turbo version has slightly stiffened suspension than the regular, and that translates into rougher ride. it also has low-profile 18 inch tires, so becareful of pot holes. (looks amazing though). leather seats support you very tight, and to my surprise, it has power lumbar support which moves the side bolsters in and out as well. effeciency: just did a long distance trip with 32MPG with some city driving, which sounds about right. 1.6 litre gets you very good milage. flexiblity: what i mean by this is, with given aftermarket mods, it has so much potential to be a great little car. being a turbo car, it will quickly make power gains with little money. add it's economic milage, and you get a great little balanced machine.

Beauty and Economical

by Black Beauty from Mohnton PA on Thu Aug 22 2013

I absolutely love my Veloster. I didn't get the turbo, I just wanted a new car that was inexpensive and economical and classy! The Veloster is definitely all that and more. I have an SUV with all the bells and whistles but it gets 11mpg, my Veloster gets about 30mpg and that is combination city/highway. The warranty can't be topped! I purchased the black on dark gray and I have received so many compliments. My daughter actually purchased the same color and style in manual transmission. She loves hers too! Definitely recommend this vehicle.

Best Poor Mans Sports Car Ever!

by buschchris1 from San Antonio, TX on Wed Jan 22 2014

I had a Tiburon V6 manual before and after I came back from over seas, decided I liked Hyundai enough for another. I got the 4 cylinder Manual with leather seats and sunroof. For the money its great. It looks way better than other cars in its class, has a nice interior and feels like a little shuttlecraft from Star Trek. The sunroof makes a big difference in how spacious it feels so get it with one if your over 6 foot like me. The shifting is tight at first but works in like any normal manual. For a 4 cyl engine the manual is the way to go, more power control and its light so it can move if you know what your doing. It is a rougher ride but that's how sports cars are, they have tight shocks due to low clearance so stop complaining other people, if you want comfort, get a medium sized sedan with regular tires. I love it so far, im at 31k miles right now. There is only one complaint and that's the Hyundai Bluelink (Bluestink more like it), if you don't pay for the service, the GPS wont work and it pops a registration message every time you turn it on. Your not going to win any races with a stock engine. The turbo is a lot more power and if you got the money, go for it. I am getting 33m/gal with a mix of highway and city so it does well. I drove to Austin from San Antonio and got 36m/gl. I calculated myself as I didn't trust the dash display and it was about .5m/gal off so not too bad. The warranty makes it worth it to get this over anything else not to mention the safety rating seems better then the rest in it class. I would say Hyundai so far has kept me loyal thus far. If they would only remove the blue link and allow more customizing in the head unit it would be perfect. Cheers.

Best Bang for your buck

by Stevizzle123 from Orlando FL on Sun Feb 21 2016

I purchased this car used with about 44,000 miles on it. I loved the sporty looks and the 2 tone interior mine came with black and blue. The car was fully loaded with leather seats, the 1.6 turbo, navigation, sunroof, back up camera and sensors, and push button start and entry. I was really impressed with everything this car came with for the price. Its a pretty good value compared to the Focus or Fiesta ST or even the GTI. Of course this car isn't as fast and only has 3 doors. Now for the negative. I noticed the steel wheeling material was peeling off when i bought the car but it progressively got worse and it would get on my clothing. Luckily it was a certified vehicle and was still under the factory warranty which is one of the best ones out there. I contacted the dealership to see if i could get the steering wheel replaced. Fortunately Hyundai agreed to replace it under the warranty. The touchscreen hardly worked it would only work if it was cool/cold like in the morning or at night. I live in Florida so the majority of the time it was unusable. The system would also press buttons on its own and this happened with the navigation as well so it was unusable. There are physical buttons for everything so it wasn't a deal breaker but it was disappointing that i was unable to use the touchscreen or navigation. The interior is also pretty cheap besides the seats which are decent and ventilated. The rest is mostly plastic and the armrests are not very comfortable and there was alot of rattling. Visibility is somewhat of an issue I would suggest removing the rear headrests and the back camera helps alot too. The power of the car is somewhat underwhelming as well (only used regular gas) it was fine on the highway but there was some noticeable turbo lag from a dead stop. The backseat is kinda tight and only seats 2 due to fixed center console. Its fine for kids or short adults. The panoramic sun roof is nice but the cover is attached to it so you cant just open the cover to let some sunlight in and the cover is very thin. I loved the cargo room it was more than enough for me and the seats fold down if you need to transport large items. I just recently traded it in for something bigger and with a nicer interior and a working touchscreen. I would still recommend this car due to the value it offers and the warranty. However you get what you pay for.

Gave up performance for fuel economy

by Bigsurmark from Noblesville, IN on Sun Oct 06 2013

I traded in my 2010 Infiniti G37X for a preowned 2013 Hyundai Veloster with 7100 miles. I recently took a new job where I will be driving over 100 miles a day, so I looked for a sporty looking front wheel drive (or AWD) car, that gets great gas mileage, and takes 87 octane gas, for around $20,000. The Hyundai Veloster fit all my criterion. Although I realize it is controversial, I really love the look of the Veloster. The lines are sleek, but is a hatchback, and has a weird 3rd door. I drove 600 miles back from the dealership I bought it from, and the ride was enjoyable and relatively comfortable. I do miss the 330 HP that my Infiniti had. My Veloster only has around 134 HP, and although it is a smaller and lighter car, it was tough getting used to the lack of pep, but I was happy to get almost 40 MPH on my trip home from the dealership and have averaged in the low 30's for the past month. Over the month that I have owned the car, I have had no problems. My Veloster has every option offered, including Navigation system, backup camera, Bluetooth and panoramic sunroof. I feel a great value for the price. So far, after only 1000 miles, I am very happy with my choice. If it continues to be a reliable vehicle, I will be very happy to have given up all that HP, for a sporty car that gets great gas mileage!

Impressed

by Car Fanatic from Ft. Lauderdale, FL on Wed Aug 08 2012

Best car I've ever owned. Great looking car front to back. Bought the style package wiith panoramic sunroof. Low profile tires and the rear end styling make the car. Have had numerous second looks at the car from people. Not the quickest in accelaration, but the mileage makes up for that. 5-11 and the car fits me like a glove. Kick a** stereo and upgrades up the wazoo. Would recommend to anyone.

Roomy - Fuel Efficient - Downright Fun!

by KCmeridian from Meridian MS on Sat Oct 19 2013

Can't say enough about this car. I work full time in advertising and love the comfort and fuel efficiency. I am getting a minimum of 30 MPG in the city and upwards of 35 on the Interstate. I also own a mobile DJ business and am shocked and amazed at the room. I can lay the seats down and load an entire show into this car!! UNREAL!!! I got the ReMix package and the sound is amazing!! This was an incredible purchase!!!

2013 Veloster Turbo

by Ray from Hagerstown, Maryland on Thu Dec 19 2013

We got our 2013 Veloster Turbo over a year ago and have had no problems at all, plus excellent dealer service. This car is an all around great vehicle...the third door access very useful, the hatchback great and handy, power great, sound system excellent, comfortable/well organized interior and dash, and sharp looking.......fuel mileage with that much power on tap great (lives up to claim and expectations). Satisfaction top notch.

Very nice car

by Thejimster5 from Hurricane wv on Sun Nov 17 2013

I have now owned this car for almost a Yea. Overall I love the car. I have the re:mix version. It is very reliable and the sound system is incredible. The gas mileage is also great. The only downside is the ride. From where the car sits so low the suspensionis very tight resulting in a rough ride. I would highly recommend this car.

Good car that can be a economical and fun

by Paul from New York, NY on Mon Sep 14 2015

To start off, I have the turbo version with six speed auto. I bought it used a few months ago and am still in love with it. I actually look forward to my morning commute because I get to drive it. I was choosing between the veloster and a GTI and I chose this because you get way more. Leather seats, touchscreen with massive connectivity, 200hp turbo that can run on REGULAR (premium if you want too, actually adds some power). It handles great, minus the rear beam suspension. There is some rear end wobble over bumps at highway speed, but that can easily be fixed by installing a $170 part that tightens it right up. The leather is great, I have yet to find my back sweating in the summer. It has plenty of perforations that keep your back nice and cool. Snow tires are a must, as the Turbo's OEM tires are 18s and have bad snow traction. Buy this car if you want something sporty and capable of being economical (35 highway mpg) if you desire.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Our Take on the 2013 Hyundai Veloster

Editor's note: This review was written in February 2012 about the 2012 Hyundai Veloster. Little of substance has changed with this year's model. To see what's new for 2013, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Driving the four-seat 2012 Hyundai Veloster for two weeks was as energizing as downing a doppio espresso via IV drip and exactly the kick in the pants I needed after driving clone after clone of bland, boring cars.

You know that amazing feeling when you walk out of the hair salon after getting a fabulous seasonal shape up and highlight refresh? It gives you just a little extra sway to your swagger, and the Veloster is that feeling in car form. For men who... Read More