Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2000 Grand Cherokee

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

$716 - $6,592  MSRP Range
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

4.0

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money

Have You Driven the 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Great First Car

by Cullen from Columbus, OH on Thu Mar 25 2010

I love my Jeep; I bought it two summers ago when gas hit $4, so I got a great deal on the fully loaded limited with 92,000 miles. In Ohio this winter, it plowed through 25 inches of snow. I did get stuck once, but that was in the mud and snow (I don't really like my tires, Yokahoma Geolanders, wish I put don’t big bucks for Goodyear’s). Over the summer, the 4.7 V8 pulled strongly with a 2,500 lbs trailer through the mountains. About a year ago, I had to replace the oil pressure sensor; the gauge would drop to zero. The wheels are starting to corrode from salt, but that’s not really an issue. I love the plush seats and commanding driving position. Not sure I like the Quadra-Drive system, I think I would prefer a part-time system because of fuel economy and I think it might work better. Don’t get me wrong, it is a beast off road, and great for the weekend Home Depot run. Other than that (knock on wood) nothing wrong mechanical, although I might have to replace the thermostat, as the temp. gauge rises a little in the summer. Oh, and current mileage is about 120,000 and I average 12-17 MPG. I highly recommend for towing, off-roading, and kid hauling.

I love my jeep!

by Cheerfuljuice from Oregon on Tue Apr 03 2012

Drives nice, looks good, and it's super comfy! I have the limited edition with the super comfortable heated leather seats and it's awesome! Comes stock with a tow package and a really decent infinity gold stereo. The engine is strong and if treated right will last a good long time. I have the v8 and I get about 11.9 mpg in town and I do recommend getting a jeep with the straight 6 as those engines were darn near bullet proof (so to speak) and get even better gas mileage! The limited editions only come with v8's i believe... I have owned a couple jeeps over the past 10 years and i stand by em! They have great suspension travel and are very versatile vehicles. Great for a family, offroad enthusiasts, daily drivers, etc!!! The possibilities are unlimited with a jeep! I love my jeep and couldn't be happier!

Only drawback is...

by thephrog from Monterey Peninsula, CA on Sun Feb 28 2010

It's a gas guzzler. One thing I'd like to see it have is some more seating. Other than those things, it's Fantastic! I love it. Very comfortable ride, and I love sitting up high enough to see all around me. It has very good "get up and go" and it's been very reliable for me. I've got 118,000 miles on it at this point, and it's performing great.

Great SUV

by ZRTECH from Elkton, MD on Wed May 26 2010

On of the best SUV's I've owned. This is my #2 GC in my ownership experience. I have the Selec-Trac 4x4 V8 which I get 22-24mpg hwy and sometimes the rare 26mpg hwy. My old '94 Limited never got stuck, and just as well, neither has my 2000! 127 carried over parts and my 2000 looks as good as she can get. I get asked all the time if she's a 2004 because my headlights aren't sanded like the rest of them.

Good SUV

by Luke from Michigan on Tue Dec 08 2009

I love my Jeep. If you live where the snow can pile up, nothing goes through it like a Jeep. On several occasions I've put snow over the hood of my jeep going through snow drifts 4 feet deep and she keeps on going (as long as you have good tires). The only annoying mechanical issue is that Brake Rotors warp easily on this vehicle if the wheel lug nuts are not tightened properly. 4x4 Jeeps require a lot of maintenance, more than most people are willing to do and that's why I suspect so many other reviewers had problems with their jeep. For the home mechanic the Jeep (I-6 especially) is easy to work on from a maintenance standpoint. I love my Jeep and with 110,000 miles on it I feel like I have a lot of life yet and even when I do upgrade to a new car I'm keeping my Jeep just in case the weather gets bad!!!!!!!

Loved my Jeep

by Jeep Lover from Michigan on Mon Sep 08 2014

Purchased new Grand Jeep Cherokee Laredo in 2000. Had a few problems with brakes which was common with this year Jeep and lots of problems with actuators on doors and too expensive to fix so had to lock and unlock manually. Otherwise just normal wear and tear replacements until engine died at 166,000 which I heard is very unusual for a V6 4 cylinder engine. Was very dissappointed since I LOVED my Jeep and to replace engine will be over $3500 :( Jeep was wonderful in the snow and drove very nice. We originally choose a Jeep because it seemed very heavy duty and well built compared to other SUVS in 2000. Really would have liked to purchase another Jeep but was concerned about engine dying so soon so we purchased a new Toyota RAV4, so will see how this compares. So far drives nice and better gas milleage although smaller.

most features I've ever had in a vehicle

by captain scuba from N. E. Louisiana on Thu Mar 18 2010

More features than my wife's Lincoln Town Car. Very comfortable. Handles extremely well. Great power when You need it, even when towing a trailer or boat. Looks GREAT.

it's a jeep thing you wouldn't understand

by Jeeplover from Old Bridge, NJ on Thu Mar 03 2011

This is a great suv for the family. the price was 35k but after all it was worth for what it can do in extreme conditions. Excellent off-road and astonishing in the snow. We owned it for 11 years and its still like new. Never had any problems with it and has over 100k miles on it. we had so much fun at Camp Jeep and we miss and and so does our jeep. The title explains everything i just said. Greatest american car ever.

This Jeep is my Bread and Butter

by EggO WafflE from Lake Erie on Sun Dec 30 2007

I have the 4.0L Laredo version and I love it. The look of it just says "I want to go off-road" and knowing that it can go there is a great feeling. Minor repairs and touch-ups I'v noticed over these Jeeps include headlight lenses, paint on gas tank tends to fade, vehicle decals fade and grille tends to "bubble" and chip. The one major repair on it over it's 150,000 miles is a small generator which powers the cooling fan. These Jeeps are made with a small electric motor generator for the fan, instead of the typical fan belt-powered. They tend to break and need replaced every 2 years or so. The engine tends to overheat if they are not replaced. Roomy interior with a agrea ride in the suspension. THESE ARE GREAT IN THE SNOW. A MUST HAVE FOR ANYONE IN THE NORTHEAST!

Fun to drive and reliable

by Ilovejeeps from Jacksonville, FL on Sat Jul 07 2018

Great vehicle for someone who needs and SUV but doesn’t want to give up the ’cool’ factor and wants off-road capabilities. Very reliable, hardly any issues in the four years I drove it.

1 2 3 4 5 6