2005 Mercedes Benz E Class

Classy but Sporty

by from Reston, VA on August 31, 2009

I love my 2005 E500. Tasteful design with alot of giddy-up. I love when people try not to let me merge. All the power and handling you would ever want. I owned a S500 previously and I find the E500 a much more practical and sporty ride! Enjoy Resposibly!

Great Car, But. . .

by from Philadelphia Pa on May 11, 2006

I have the E500 4Matic station wagon, but the combination of handling and performance makes me forget that I am driving a station wagon. However, for all of the great performance, I have had to put up with electrical difficulties since litterally the first day. I have had the distributor replaced, and the AC blower replaced. Other than tose issues, which have been corrected under waranty, it has been a wonderful car. The air ride suspension is a nice feature for those who want a sportier feel. The acceleration is amazing, about 6 seconds to 60mph and that is great for any wagon. Even with the electrical problems, I would recomend the car because it has a massive interior, and is a lot of fun to drive.

E55 AMG

by from New Jersey on March 24, 2011

The supercharged 5.5L V8 in the E55 is a rocket. The performance is tremendous. I have owned (3) Corvettes including a 430 HP C6 and (2) Mustang GTs which all performed well, but don't have the supercharged punch of this AMG. This car destroys BMWs all over the road, leaving them wondering what happened. The E55 is not overly comfortable. It has all the bells and whistles anyone could want. The reliability @ 29,000 miles is good. Its a pleasure to drive although the front end feels a little sluggish at low speeds. When the power is applied, the car sits down low and goes whereever you point it. The fuel economy is fair to good, especially considering the power output. Its a drivers car, not for the faint of heart.

Super reliable and powerful

by from Kansas City on January 4, 2009

I really enjoy this fine German automobile. I have had no issues and perfect service experience. The 4matic and E500 V8 is powerful when needed and sticks to the corners! Creature comfort is superb. Great in winter too.

Luxury and great mileage

by from New Jersey on June 16, 2013

We've driven several luxury cars and this one is our favorite it is super comfortable to be the driver or the passenger. Our gas mileage has been outstanding, often getting to MPG on our highway trips...

Nice Car

by from on December 12, 2011

Nice car, I would recommend it to anyone. I have had it for 3 month so far so good. surprisingly good on gas.

Best Riding Mercedes I have ever had!

by from Mesa, AZ on December 30, 2012

This car looks great, the Interior is Plush but Sporty. Car run's GREAT. I drive 65 miles a day @ 80MPH smooth as a Baby's Bottom. This is a keeper :) I have taken it up to 128 MPH in the desert @ 3200 RPM had plenty More to go but did not want to push it ! Just a great car.

2005 E500

by from california on March 19, 2015

124k miles... runs great handles well tons of power. Just replaced fuel pump and send at the "stealer" $1700 should have done it myself... other than that it is going great

A good, solid, mid-sized Diesel sedan

by from Washington, DC on September 28, 2017

My model is the CDI, or Diesel, version. It's a 4-door mid-sized sedan that looks basically like what a successful mid-level attorney or accountant might drive. Its styling is relatively conservative, though still pretty modern-looking and aerodynamic. I also own an S-class (or two) of similar vintage. This car is in a different category. By design, it doesn't feel as sumptuous as the S. Also remember that the S-class was $25,000 more at the time, so this is to be expected. With that said, this is still very much a Mercedes-Benz. The E-class is certainly comfortable enough and well thought out. You could take this car for a distance drive and be just fine afterwards. The controls take a little getting used to, but that's true with most German cars other than Volkswagens. It definitely shows its Mercedes-Benz heritage here ("quirky German charm", some might call it). There are a lot of features in the car, hence all the crazy buttons. Once you get used to where things are, though, it becomes second-nature, and that happens pretty quickly. Reliability: that's an A+ here. Honda's reputation for reliability is, of course, enviable; it's #1 in the world. This E-class is Mercedes-Benz's version of a Honda Accord, with extra amenities. It runs and runs without complaint. It just does what you ask it to without fuss. It is *not* a BMW and does not handle on rails like a BMW. If you want that, then buy a BMW. Mercedes-Benz clearly tune their sedans more for comfort than twisty mountain roads. It's simply a style choice. For the kind of driving I do, it's just fine. But performance enthusiasts seeking a mid-sized car might want the E55 AMG or possibly the BMW 5-series. Let's talk mechanics. My car being an inline-6 cylinder Diesel, it's fairly simple to work on and has a clean engine bay...for a Mercedes-Benz, that is. :-) The car comes with the reliable 5-speed transmission with the "Manu-Matic" mode, which I actually use frequently. Fuel efficiency is where this car is really a win. My car is rated at 37 miles/US gallon on the highway. I've seen 36 to 37, real-world, verified with a calculator. That's Honda Civic fuel-efficiency, folks...in a car the size of a Honda Accord and considerably heavier...with Mercedes-Benz appointments and Mercedes-Benz chassis strength/rigidity. Acceleration is somewhat surprising, especially given it's a 3,900-lb Diesel. The car will do 0-60 in 7 seconds, which is just as fast as my S500(!). It gets up and gets out of the way. However, it doesn't feel all that fast, because the power comes up a bit more gradually due to turbo spool-up. It's a smooth, firm push, vs. the S500, E500, or E55, any of which immediately shove you fairly hard back in your seat. The engine, as expected of a Diesel, is torquier (369 lb-ft) than it is full of horsepower (201 hp). Acceleration starts to peter off at about 80 mph and gradually goes down from there (no, I'm *NOT* telling you how I know that!). But you will get to that 80 mph in a hurry, even though it doesn't feel like it. For the Autobahn, you'd probably prefer the E500 for its higher horsepower to sustain those high German speeds. But for any other driving, the Diesel is perfect. So, to sum up, the car is a conservative, unobtrusively-styled, get-it-done car that doesn't shout out at anyone. It does not scream, "I'M FANCY!!" in any way. It just goes about its business and does what you ask it to do...kinda like the Germans themselves.

It is a great car for all season driving

by from Minneapolis on August 9, 2013

One of the best Mercedes E Series. I'll recommend it to everyone looking for an wheel drive and for all season vehicle.

Our Expert Review: 2005 Mercedes Benz E Class