2015 Nissan Leaf

All Reviews

by from Dallas/Ft Worth on December 12, 2014

I am an early adopter. I've had the same cell phone number since 1988. That said, I waited as long as I could to get an EV and I chose the Leaf because it is currently the best value in EVs. To get one better, you'd have to spend three times the money. I did get a 240 volt charger for my garage but even before that, charging was not really an issue. There are public chargers that will do an 80% charge in 30 minutes. The charger network is still relatively small but is growing. The Leaf has plenty of power and uses it much better than a gas engined car with the same hp. No hybrid stands a chance against it. The power is applied very smoothly and quietly too. Very little wind noise even at 70+mph. I got the Leaf in the SL trim and with the "premium pkg". The around me view system (4 cameras, 1 on each side + one each front and back) alone is worth the cost but the Bose stereo system is also a huge upgrade. I get 90+ miles per charge. At home, it takes 3-4 hours to charge to 100% when starting at 10% or so. It has a timer so if your late night electricity rates are lower than your daytime rates you can charge at those times and save even more money.I was spending $500-$600 a month on gas. Between the pmt, insurance and electricity I'm saving about $150 each month. I did keep my truck for hauling items or Home Depot runs. Those savings include the insurance, has and other expenses the truck incurs so the car is actually more than free in my situation but I live alone. You may save even more than I do if another household member is involved is the Leaf is a really nice car especially in SL trim! Some public chargers are free, others are not. There are websites and apps (even one embedded in the Leaf's NAVI system) that help you find public chargers. Nissan even gave me a card to use at the pay public chargers that makes it free for two years. If your round-trip daily commute is less than 70 or so miles, the Leaf can save you a lot of money and the car is pretty great too. Not a run-of-the-mill hybrid like you get from Chevy and Toyota.

by from Placerville, CA on December 24, 2014

The 100 mile range rating is incredibly optimistic. More realistic range is 70 to 80 miles. Recently drove in the rain with headlights, stereo, defroster, wipers, etc. and only got 54 miles. I've never been stranded anywhere but I've heard stories from other people. Absolutely requires some planning and a back up plan if you run low on battery. I know how much of a charge I need to get home from my usual routes so I've never had a problem. Charging times are approximate: Level 3 quick charge: 80-100% /hour Level 2 (240v) 25% /hour Level 1 (110v) 5% /hour As the battery gets charged, the charging process takes longer. For instance; On a dead battery, the battery will accept about 100 amps. As it approaches 80% it will only take about 30 amps which continues to drop as you get closer to a full charge. I really like this car, but it's not for everyone. I love not buying gas. Most days I run a few errands near my home and I can usually charge my car at work; so it's perfect for me. Haven't tried any long trips yet.

by from Phoenix, AZ on August 28, 2014

I have never been a Nissan enthusiast and was hesitant to purchase an EV. But my commute necessitated the HOV lane and I was spending $350 per month on gas. I have never been as impressed with a car as I am with the Leaf. I am easily getting 85 miles out of a full charge, and that includes highway driving with the A/C on in AZ. With a 240 volt charging station, I charge overnight when rates are lowest. It is roomy, comfortable and quick. Several of my colleagues own Volts and love them. But they have to charge at the office daily, whereas I can drive to and from work and still have 30 miles of range left. Very pleased indeed!

by from on October 8, 2014

I've had the Leaf for about a month. It truly is the future. The torque and smooth response from the motor is amazing. Hardly any lag. Blew away a BMW at a stoplight recently. The guy was dumbfounded. The range depends on many factors such as amount of accessories (climate control, radio etc) used while driving.

by from Bountiful, UT on May 17, 2017

Overall the upfront cost is more than one would expect in this class of cars. The beauty comes from how much maintenance happens. I have the tires rotated every 6 months and the battery checked yearly. No oil changes or filter changes or lubricants. I fill up the washer fluid monthly lately with the weather. My electric bill went up about 30 dollars a month.

by from Columbus OH on June 11, 2017

This is my second EV -- the first was a Volt hybrid. This 2015 Leaf SL is much more comfortable than the Volt -- leather seating is more comfortable and entry (higher, no hump) is easier. While it absorbs the road better, its short wheelbase makes it throw us around constantly on bumps. It takes some getting used to. However, it does have an entirely useable back seat -- the Volt only had room for very small monkeys. So far I haven't even challenged its 84-mile capacity -- I extremely rarely went beyond the Volt's 44 mile electric limitation, so it's perfect for my suburban driving. They want $179 to update the navigation so I bought the latest Garmin ($159) instead with lifetime maps. The Garmin coordinates with my cell phone, so I can make and receive calls, get news updates from the Wall Street Journal, etc. Pretty neat. I do kinda miss the 2014 Volt "beeps" to keep me in lanes and away from obstacles, but this car has all kinds of bells and whistles I love to tinker with. It's a gadget-lovers dream. If more people knew what bargains these EV cars are in the aftermarket (the price drops are incredible) they would be astonished. I picked up this low mileage, loaded-with-EVERYTHING $39,000 MSRP for $15,000!

by from Fort Wayne, IN on March 17, 2017

This car is a quick electric vehicle. Spunky, fun, and quiet. It is best for use in local commuting; as it has approximately 100-mile range per charge. There were a couple of times when I pushed it to the end of the charge. There is a cute little turtle that shows up next to the speedometer when you have about a mile of charge left.

by from Atlanta, GA on June 4, 2017

I got this car because of the tax credit, but I absolutely fell in love with it. I don't do a ton of long distance driving so it's a great car for short drives around town.

by from Tampa, FL on November 12, 2015

126 miles per gallon equivalent, and most all the charging stations are free. Not only does it not burn fuel, the electrons are free! I live two miles from downtown and being retired, there's always plenty of go power left over. To charge the car from near zero costs $2.88 if you charge at peak time. That gets you about a $6.80 worth of gas distance at gas being $2.00 a gallon in a regular hatchback. When you charge up at a free public station, the savings are phenomenal. I plan to buy the park and charge charger that you just park over and charge at night. That way I'll never worry about getting gasoline or getting charged ever again. I'll be able to afford the extra $20 a month on my electric bill or, maybe I'll go solar!

by from Seattle, WA on May 7, 2017

Purchased as a 2.5 year old used car. So far appears to be in very good condition. The range is as advertised for when the car was new, and well sufficient for commuting and family activities in a larger metropolitan area.