2002 Maxima

4.2 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.4 out of 5 starsReliability

Best midsize car....

by NISMO4LIFE from CT on October 27, 2009

I've had 3 maximas and i have to tell you that the 02-03 are the best ones performance wise.Forget Camry or accord the nissan max will smoke them easily and will outlast their V6's. Repairs are normal the 02 sensors,brakes,battery...easy do it urself jobs. DRIVE one and floor the gas pedal

Uses car for Towing

Best Performance & Relaibility from a V-6 Maxima

by Performance Car Specialists from Louisville, KY on March 3, 2008

I've had this car for 4 years, no problems just regular maintence. And 0-60 times stock are just a shade over 6 seconds. I have 152,738 miles on it and still get 21 city and 28-30 hwy mpg. J D Power Quality ratings are no where near right. I recommend this car to teenagers and adults. Quick acceleration!

Good Car for just about anyone

by Shilo from Dallas, TX on August 2, 2007

The Maxima that I've had for a little over a year has been a great car. I got it from the original owner with around 85,000. Now I've got 112,000 still runs like it did when I bought it. The only thing I've found with it are the o2 sensors seem to go first if anything is going to fail. All in all its a great car if you have a family or if you're a kid finding a nice car with some get up and go... its a sleeper for sure.

Maintenance too high for a premium car.

by steelman from Ontario on November 23, 2008

I bought this car used, had just under 40,000 miles on it. I have now spent over $2000 on what I call unusual repairs - vent solenoid and cannister, evaporator cannister, both intake timing control sensors (very expensive parts), rear oxygen sensor. Fuel filler neck needed to be replaced - rust allowed air into the closed system. Turning radius on car is terrible. Be prepared for lots of 3-point turns. First and last Nissan product. Back to Honda Accord.

Does not recommend this car!!

Mostly Satisfied

by Chuck from Chicago, IL on May 17, 2010

Purchased an 02 used with 86k miles on it. So far everything is great besides the suspension and slight vibrations that balancing just cant seem to get rid of. My mothers 97 camry with 300k miles on it handles the road better than mines ! Wasnt for that I would I would give this car six stars on 1-5 rating !As far as the engine.. Greatest V6 I ever drove! very powerful and smooth !

Nice

by Just a Guy from Providence, RI on April 17, 2010

I bought my 2002 Maxima in 2005. It was a former leased vehicle and it had 20K on it when I bought it. Here it is 5 years later and it now has 128K on it and is still going strong. Max is a very reliable car. It has never let me down. Sure I've had to put a few bucks into it, but nothing major has gone wrong with it. Keep up with the regular maintenance and Maxima will not let you down. I want to keep Max for at least 75K more. If you want a reliable, fun car buy a used Maxima. I love this car!

Perfect Car

by AUdi_racing_4_life from Chicago, Il on January 24, 2007

I have owne d a 2002 Nissan Maxima SE for 4 years. I even bought it used with 30000 miles on it. It has never given me a problem ever since. This is a perfect car. i have always got complments on my car.

Only one thing I like about this car!

by TomB from Florida on April 6, 2015

I bought this against my better judgement because my wife wanted it. (ALWAYS a mistake. Listen to the inner voice friends) It test drove pretty well but had a high pitched whine as we accelerated to high speeds. Thought it just need tires. Took it to the shop AFTER purchasing it, which is really back a#@ed and should really be avoided. Buying used cars 101...have the mechanic look at it BEFORE purchasing the vehicle. Anyhow, it did need tires but because the shocks were leaking fluid onto the inner tire and was eating into them. Had to replace all the shocks and struts. Now it has developed a knocking sound when we hit a big bump and start and stop. Started out just once in a while and has quickly worked it's way up to all the time. I need to take it to the shop now. T Lets see, the radio just started to malfunction and one side is without sound. The a/c just stopped working ACCEPT at the HIGHEST setting. I live in Florida...ac is a must. The paint is faded and the clear coat is peeling on the passenger back side. The only thing I like about this car is the engine. When the ac is off you can't even hear it running. Standing right next to it! When you fel the need to speed, this thing can deliver. It has get up and go. It's fun to drive if you crank the stereo up (the one side that actually works) as not to hear the bumping and squeeking from under the car. Truth is i think it could be a great car if the other areas matched the quality of the engine. Sadly it does not. Would make a great custom car if you put good quality parts in it and rebuild half the dang car.

Does not recommend this car!!

Bought new & still love it.

by luvmy2002SE from Sacrmento CA on August 2, 2006

I bought in 2/02. Great handling & exceleration. reasonable gas milage for a V-6 255hp. My only repairs beyond scheduled maintenance have been a new battery, & a couple of belts, all under $300.00. I only turned the ingition more than once one time, when the battery died earlier this year. Since the car competes with entry luxury cars ( MB C-class or BMW 300's), I think it should have less road noise for the price. However it is not unbearable given it is still cheaper & is a lot more reliability. The only other draw back on my model, the SE 6 speed manual, is the expense for replacing the performance 18 in tires-- $180/tire was the cheapest I could find. Overall, I love my car & would buy it (or another Nissan/Infinity) again if I didn't need a wagon or small SUV for my bike equipment ( new hobby since purchase).

The best car so far

by fasdallas from Apple valley, MN on June 12, 2009

I bought my 2002 maxima used with 86000 miles. The car is great the speed, gas milage are all great.No problems so far and I love it.

1 2 3 4 5