2002 SL

4.7 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.5 out of 5 starsReliability

Perfect

by To Smooth from Reno Nevada on July 9, 2010

We bought our Saturn new in July 2002 only replaced the battery tires and serpentine belt. It only has 43,000 miles but it's been a great car only regret was not buying 2 from the dealer. I have gotten as high as 40 miles per gallon with the 1.9 litre automatic.

jUST KEEPS GOING

by THE RAT from on March 8, 2012

What can I say. I bought my manual SL new. Had the same battery and tires for six years. Have the same clutch, alternator, ac, all I changed was belts, plugs and oil. I now have 278,000 trouble free miles, I get 45 plus mpg, even got 49 one time trying my hand at hypermiling. If I had know in 2002 what I know now I would have put one in storage. We had severe weather one year, I mean Cold, and she started eacha nd everytime. Very sad they don't make them anymore, very dependible.

Our Third Saturn

by Real Saturn Fan from Lake County, CA on February 12, 2012

We bought a new 1995 Saturn and drove it until it was stolen and totaled. Car was great. You have to be really diligent about changing the oil every 3000 miles with these small car engines. Then we bought a new 2002 Saturn SL 1 with manual transmission, cruise control and power locks. It now has 193,000 miles on it and no big problems yet. Again, gotta keep up the maintenance. We bought yet another 2002 Saturn used with really low mileage. It is still going great. I wish they would bring back the Saturns. I'd buy another new one.

great car

by JDR from Denver, Colorado on November 13, 2010

Saturn SL2 was fun to drive, 30 mpg city and 37-39 mpg highway. Very low maintenance. Also great on snowy roads.

I Let It Sit 5 Years

by Tickled Saturn Driver from Texas on January 24, 2017

We got a new car back in 2011 and the 1998 Saturn sat mostly unused for the intervening years. I was scared to start it up with that ancient oil and old gas in it, but I didn't have a choice. With a new battery it started right up, hummed smoothly as if it were 2011, and I immediately went to get it serviced and registered. This is the best car I've ever driven so far as reliability, value, and amazing retention of mechanical ability over time and abuse. It has over 205,000 miles on it. I had always said it would go 300,000 easy.

The best first car

by Saturn hero from Fort Wayne, IN on February 18, 2007

this car is great. it gets great gas mileage. the only downfall is that it is small and their is not much leg room but for a person who is almost 6'3" not much is big. Although it is small it is safe and very reliable. It has never let me down and I would recomend this car to anyone.

First Car

by SaturnSL2 from Des Moines, IA on April 5, 2010

This is my first car and I have been driving it for 5 years now. Bought it at 50,000 miles for $5400. It now has 90,000 miles. This car has amazing gas mileage (getting 38 mpg highway) and has been very reliable (starts in -20 degree weather). However, it will overheat when idle for more than 5 minutes and is absolutely AWFUL in ice and snow. Other than that, great car!

Love This Car!

by CYVA from Annandale, VA on May 12, 2018

A pleasure to drive! Easily fits an child car seat in the rear. Up to 5 adults able to travel comfortably at once. Averages 29.93 mpg and 288 miles/fill. We would be keeping this car ourselves but were given another car as a gift and don't have a need for an extra car.

Great deal, great car

by Never pay for a new car from on June 5, 2009

I bought the 2002 Saturn SL1 in mid 2006. This is the second Saturn we've owned and we've never had any problems with them. Our mechanic said this car will run forever as long as we take of it. It's a great car for the money. The turning radius is a little wide, but that's the only complaint we've had so far. Not bad for a 7 year old car . . .

One of the greats in my book!

by DadBod on July 25, 2017

I owned this gem for about 2 years and was great to me until it hit 180k miles. I bought this bad baby at 120k miles for $1700 and it was well maintained. I evened name this car, Squirtle, and it was my daily driver. Squirtle would average about 36 mpg since I was 95% on the highway. During those 2 great years, all Squirtle needed were tires and oil changes. The A/C was icy cold, drivers seat was comfy, had power windows and locks, decent radio with good reception,it had all the basic necessities I needed. Unfortunately, Squirtle started making crazy sounds on the freeway and needed it's front axle to be changed. Also, had fluid leaks. So had to get rid of Squirtle because I was quoted about $1200 on repairs. I didn't think it was worth it so I had to sell Squirtle. Passed smog and still drove just didn't know when it would finally breakdown. I would definitely get another one if I need another SL if my current car (Kia Forte) craps out on me.

1 2 3 4