2012 Legacy

2012 Subaru Legacy

2012 Subaru Legacy

Have you driven the 2012 Subaru Legacy?

Overall Fantastic Purchase

by Commuter Joe from Nashville, TN on Sun Apr 01 2012

Let me preface this review by saying I am a Subaru fan. Not some over-the-top zealot but, in general, appreciative of what Subaru brings to the industry. Zero-landfill plant, pzev certifications, the safety of all-time all-wheel-drive (which is making its way to other manufacturers after Subaru's continued success with the concept) and the design decisions which highlight values that I share. I did, however, begin my hunt for a new car with a very slight bias towards Subaru but with an overall open mind. I research and test-drove all manner of competition. There's not a ton of choice in this size of 4-door sedan so I also test drove smaller and larger variants from many manufacturers (including, the Ford Focus and Fusion, Kia Optima, Hyundai Sonata, Nissan Altima and Maxima). To anyone who is price-conscious, I was shocked to find that practically all the vehicles, when equipped with the options that I considered "necessary," were within a $4,500 range (the Legacy being about $1,500 from the top of that range). This spread is so close over the expected usable life of the vehicle that I treated them all as if they were the same price. So here's what I found and why I chose the Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premuim. The "Pros": - All-time all-wheel drive from the real innovator of the technology - "Boxer" 2.5L engine that's been in production for quite some time. It's reliability is proven and there are plenty of people in the country who've seen this engine and have worked with it before. This was a real concern when I had some problems with my company-issued Prius since there were only a handful of certified mechanics and even they had no "real-world" experience - Handling - great "road-feel," though the power steering might be a little "over-boosted" for some drivers' taste - Interior - Tons of room for everyone, a common passenger of mine is 6'5" & 320lbs. He can sit either in front or in back with no problems. Trunk space is more than adequate though the opening is a bit tight. Trim is "modern" without being flashy. Fit and finish of the entire interior felt great. Controls for everything logically laid out without overuse of LCD screens. In my experience mechanical controls tend to hold up better over time. - The Look - fantastic on the new Legacy. Clean lines and judicious use of chrome lend a very classy look to the vehicle. - Fuel economy - having come from a turbo-charged WRX, I'm glad I get to use 87 octane again. 93 was breaking the bank. I'm currently averaging a real-world 29.7mpg with a 60/40 split highway/city. Kudos to Subaru for making the trip computer give accurate MPG ratings (when you're parked at a red light, the MPG goes down since you're using gas but not going anywhere). Other manufacturers cheat on that point. Cons: - Acceleration 0-60 - Kind of sluggish. Obviously compared to my previous car this was never going to be as fast but even compared to the competition it's a little slow. Using the manual-shift mode helps if you're in need of a burst off the line. Once the car is moving, however, there's plenty of acceleration for passing and getting to highway speeds etc. - Turn markers on the rear view mirrors - This is an awesome safety feature and I wish they'd have put those on by default or at least given us a factory or aftermarket option. That's it for serious gripes. Other minor gripes: - Front cup holders a little small for modern take-out cup sizes. I know I probably shouldn't be getting fast food anyway and certainly not the bucket-like soft drinks they offer but I'm an American and I ignore the health concerns as is my constitutional right. =p - FM tuner quality - There is a marked difference in the sound quality of the audio system when listening to FM radio compared to the other options (USB, BT-A, CD). It's so significant it's worth mentioning that I almost never listen to music on FM anymore, just NPR and Bob & Tom - Lack of subwoofer option - Got burned on this by ordering the factory subwoofer

What winter woes?

by Snowman from Port Washington, WI on Mon Jan 23 2012

I needed a new car badly, and wanted something that would get me through Wisconsin's notorious winters ? while not driving like a truck. There are plenty of 4WD vehicles out there, but after doing some research I decided to give AWD a try. The Subaru line was the only way to go. The Legacy has sporty lines that don't make anyone think about mudding. Yet, during the month I have been driving my new Subaru, the snow-slick roads aren't a problem. The car rides very smoothly, and by 86-year-old mother has no complaint when I take her around town (in the back seat, no less). The 2.5L engine performs fine for my needs. It may lack some sizzle, but the 31 mpg rating is hard to beat. For the price of a traditional sedan, the Legacy gives me considerable peace of mind and more than a hint of luxury. Count me among the growing army of Subaru converts.

Pleasantly Surprised

by 3rd Legacy Owner from Holden, MA on Mon Jan 21 2013

Ok all you car researchers, here is the review of the 2012 legacy from a repeat legacy owner. Quick back story, I have owned a 06 2.5GT, a 07 2.5i limited and now a 12 2.5i limited. While the 12 still cannot hold a flame to the power of the GT, the CVT transmission matched to the 2.5 power plant provides plenty of go go power. I did a lot of research before buying the 12, specifically about the handling capabilities. Most people said "if you hate body roll, don't buy the new body style". Well, they are not all wrong. The new body style does not take corners like my 06 and 7,but the 12 still provides a solid performance on the tight turns and off ramps. It took a few days getting used to the larger hood and reduced sight lines. What I noticed most in the turns was the movement in the seat. The larger body allows for more seat, which in turn leads to more lateral movement of the driver in the seat. The older seats really held you in place, but the new seats are much more comfortable, especially on long rides. Overall interior style is very nice. Fit and finish is good and the upgraded Harmon Kardon stereo is nice. Rear leg and head room is caverness in comparison to the 07 which makes it much easier trying to strap in the kids than before, which used to require a class in contorsionism. I drive 100 miles per day commuting, so i get a pretty real MPG of 29.3. I have yet to see anything over 30 even thought 90% of my mileage is highway. Get into the throttle a bit more and work the CVT and you are down around 28.2. The paddle shift is nice in traffic, and even nicer when you break free. It is a bit strange getting used to the sound of the engine as it matches the transmission, but once you get passed that, you can really make this non-turbo move along. Overall I am very pleased with the purchase of the 2012. If you want road hugging, rocket-ship performance, look at the WRX. If you want spacious comfort with a solid power plant at a great value, take the Legacy for a ride.

My Fifth Subaru

by Subaru Fan from Fernandina Beach, FL on Wed Oct 17 2012

Bought my 2012 Legacy in July. This is my 5th Subaru since 1980. Great car so far - getting 35mpg hwy. Very comfortable. Before buying, read reviews that the radio was poor quality. Not so - radio/sound system is great. Looked at the Honda CR-V and Camry, but after my wife sat in the Legacy, she said this was the car. Rides great, and has excellent acceleration when passing on 2-lane hwy. Punch it and it takes off. Only down side - I miss the hatch back opening of my former Impreza.

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i limited

by J from Bismarck, ND on Tue Apr 30 2013

I bought this car after conducting a ton of research on this model, vs a GT, 3.6, etc. I wanted a GT but was looking for the gas mileage the non-turbo'ed model offered, due to if I had the power available, I would use it :) First of all, I was slightly impressed with the power of the 2.5 matched up with CVT transmission. With the sport paddle shift, you can keep the 4 cylinder in its power range for zippy driving. I bought my vehicle from plano subaru in TX. I have to say they were AMAZING!!! I am from ND and flew down to get the vehicle. There was a minor hiccup with the vehicle after I got there, but they COMPLETELY took care of me. I will be flying down there again to get a vehicle. SO...if you aren't sure where to look, maybe start there. They had the cheapest prices I found online and anywhere else. I spent a month looking also, at a number of different years and models (3.6, 2.5i, GT's, etc). I purchased the 2.5i limited because the seats are AMAZINGLY comfortable. They are definitely more comfortable than the premium's cloth seats. No comparison. The interior is beautiful. The display of the cd player is a ok, but if I wanted a better display I guess I could have stepped up to Navigation. The gas mileage coming back from TX was ok. I got 30 mpg with a tail wind only!!! Other than that this car cruises nicely on the highway (70-80) and gets 28-29. HILLS....if you are traversing any hills or a headwind, look for 26 mpg at best. In town driving it stays around the 25 mark, so hope this helps for you people looking for realtime gas mileage. I am 6'4", so I need leg room!!! This thing has it :) I can sit in the back seat when the front seat is almost all the way back. Gives you plenty room for carseats and such as we have a 11 month old. Also, the speakers are much niceer and give you the ability to control mid, bass, and treble quite nicely with the limited package vs. the premium. Body roll, yeah, there is a little, but the comfort of this vehicle FAR surpasses what you lose in handling (which isn't much!!!). This car can still hug tight corners and stick to the road beautifully without leaving you feeling like you are sitting next to your passenger, or vice versa!!! All in all, I LOVE this car!!! I downgraded from a 6 cylinder, but haven't missed the fewer ponies yet! Being in North Dakota, we get a lot of snow, and this vehicle gets around great! Still plenty power to zip your AWD through snow and mud. The controls on the steering column are simple, but functional as to what you really need. Dual climate control is awesome as well. Really great buy for your buck! Try to pick up an AWD in another make or model that offers everything subaru does....you won't! If you are on the fence between the premium and limited, don't scoff at the extra money. What you get is worth it!!!! AMAZING VEHICLE....and did I mention Subaru of Plano ;)

Love This Car!

by First time Legacy driver from Morris County, NJ on Fri Aug 24 2012

I just got my 2013 Legacy a week ago and love it...I've been a Camry owner for years and have been very satisfied with them, but was talked into an all wheel drive car with the Subaru being the top of those recommended. Thank goodness I took the advice. I'm having some difficulty adjusting to the "stiffer" steering, but I know it won't take long to wonder why I found it to be a problem at all. There is no question that I've become a Subaru fan probably forever....Everything else about it is far above my hopes and expectations for a car in that price range. Would I recommend it to friends? Without a doubt!!! (Incidentally the Venetian Red with black interior is gorgeous!)

Bought Used with 82K miles.... LOVE IT

by SMacDaddy from Albuquerque, NM on Thu Apr 06 2017

Amazing car! Great value, very sturdy. After 82K miles, this car drives almost the same as my wife's 2015 Forester 2.5i Premium with only 28K. The Legacy actually feels much more secure, probably due to it's lower center of gravity. This car has a very smooth ride, VERY good traction on snow and loose gravel. and incredible gas mileage! At 82K miles, I am averaging 33 mpg, in 50/50 city/Hwy driving. That beats the newer Forester by 6 mpg over the same daily commute. Subaru's "Premium" trim levels might not have ALL the bells and whistles, but what they have tends to be flawless in function... even at 82K miles!

Most fuel efficient all wheel drive car I've owned

by nextadventure from Findlay, Ohio on Wed Jun 14 2017

Owned 5 1/2 years. Extremely reliable. Commute 60 miles round trip to work in NW Ohio. Winters can be brutal. Felt very secure with the AWD. Have taken on vacation loaded down with car top carrier and still got close to 30 mpg. Because of the safety rating, I get a discount on my insurance. Subarus' have built in crumple-zones to absorb any frontal impact . I have 109,000 miles on it and have no doubt there is another 100,000 waiting to keep me going, wherever I go. Very reasonably priced for the value, reliability, and Subaru name. Subaru holds their value better than most other brands.

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i 6-speed *Great Value!*

by JohnnyB from Bellevue, WA on Tue Nov 12 2013

We purchased the 2.5i with the 6 speed manual, which felt lighter and faster compared to the CVT option. We also opted for the cold weather package (heated mirrors & seats) driving lights, rubber mats and alloy wheels. For the 20 months we've owned it now, we haven't had a single mechanical issue. Being 6'5" tall, I found this vehicle to be one of the more roomier sedans on the market in this price range and still have plenty of room for long legged kids in the back seat. It drives great in the snow with the stock M+S tires. We also appreciate the simplicity of the knobs and buttons on the instrument panel. For the money, you can't beat Subaru for their low $20k base price. It's also a lot of fun to drive.

Performance, practicality, value

by Primetime from Milwaukee, WI on Wed Jan 22 2014

Review is for a 3.6R Limited. Best family sedan I've ever driven. Traded in my 5 series BMW for the Subaru in March of 2012. This car is very practical, great in the snow, easy to get my 2 yr old in and out, and an absolute beast in overall performance. I don't get the "wow" factor anymore but who really cares and I can always take my 911 Porsche for that.

1 2 3 4