2013 Legacy

4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Good Bet

by Cheese head from Wisconsin on January 29, 2013

I purchased a 2013 Legacy 2.5 i premium about 3 months ago and here are my thoughts. First, we purchased this vehicle because it was fuel efficient, AWD, and it was huge on the inside. I am 6'6" tall, and typically do not fit in todays cars well. But in this car, it isn't a problem. For my family (Me, wife, two kids) it is perfect in size, giving the kids in the back plenty of room as well. (While test driving vehicles I tested, Ford Taurus, Ford Escape, Chevrolet Traverse, Hyundai Sante Fe, Kia Optima.) I could not physically drive the Taurus as interior was too small. The ride comfort is pretty good, with a fair amount of cabin noise. I loved the simplicity of the car, meaning, in most vehicles today, there are just too many buttons, too much gadgets. I like a simple car that works. There is still the good stuff such as bluetooth phone sync, steering wheel controls for cruise and stereo, and heated seats. As for the drive, it is comfortable, handles very well, with a tight turning radius. The interior is bigger than a Taurus, but handles like a compact. The V4 engine is very strong for a V4 and accelerates well, all while averaging 27 mpg in combined city/hwy driving. The only cons I have found this far is the cabin noise and the somewhat limited trunk space, also it is a bit narrow, so for a family of 5, it probably wouldn't be ideal. In conclusion, if AWD is a must, but you don't want to pay out your nose to get it, this is definately the car for you. You can get AWD as an option in other makes such as Ford's Fusion, but it will cost you another $10,000. I strongly recomend.

compare 2012 to 2013

by former 2011 0wner from nj on October 14, 2012

Right now dealers have to push out 2012...but consider 2013..I traded 2011 cause i test drove 2013. Traded following reasons. ! 2012 interior cloth different..2013 much improved. Many more options on 2013 standard. CVT on 2012 noisey sluggish..slow respond 2013 corrected. The torque for ramp merging much much improved. better pick up. Body roll less drive a 2012 fast body sways. 2013 drives tighter more control.MUCH BETTER 2013 model...Might get thousands off a 2012 but 2013 completely different

Good car for the money, safe and reliable.

by AW from New York on February 11, 2013

There are only two slight negatives that I can point out in this car. First is getting used to the CVT and the fact that it comes with paddle shifters. They are essentially useless and moving from a 6-speed automatic to a CVT was an adjustment. Let the transmission work itself and when you get used to it it works incredibly nicely. The second problem is the fact that you cannot replace the headlights on your own and it is costly to do them either through your own shop or through a Subaru dealer. You must take off a panel to reach the light socket, so unless you have a home garage forget about the easy swap. Otherwise, I love this car. The ride is smooth and the acceleration is good. The transmission seems to find the right ratio every time no matter the situation. The all-wheel drive system has allowed me to get through the heavy northeast storms where other cars could not. The exterior is good looking, but it is the interior that shines. Plastic and faux wood panels make the Subaru look more like an entry-level luxury car, along with the Harmon Kardon stereo system that is standard on the Limited spec that sounds fantastic. The leather is comfortable and the backseat is roomy. The audio interface is simple to use and very logical. This is a fantastic car, especially for the price range where few AWD cars are available. I would absolutely recommend this car to any and all prospective buyers.

It Gets Even Better

by jazzfocus from bergen county on December 15, 2012

My first review was July 12 when I bought the car. Here is the follow up. Handling is really nice locally and on highway. Heated seats are so nice and heat up quickly--my wife loves that. Radio sounds very good. Plently of power with the 2.5 and cvt. After driving this newly designed cvt you'll wonder when all cars will "shift" to it. Essentially, Subaru hit a home run here. I love my Mazda 6 and 3 as well but the Suby is so much fun to drive. Can't wait for snow to really see it's strengths. I had a 97 legacy wagon for 230k and finally got tired of it. This new puppy is different from the ground up. Just hope it lasts as long. I'm averaging 27 plus mpg. That's amazing for a fairly heavy and quite powerful awd car. Have gotten 35 or more hypermiling on the highway. I didn't bother testing a lot of cars when I bought it. It was a one day decision and got a good deal same day. I know quite a bit about cars and Subaru is one special company. This is the best product they have made to date. Mazda has a new 6 coming out soon, the 2014 model. It will be amazing. (I have a 2009 and like it). The new one will have the Skyactiv engine and drive train so the mileage should be excellent. Give that car a shot when it comes out in January or so unless you have to have awd. I've had Hondas and Toyotas in the past. They're just a little boring now. Good luck.

best kept secret in mid-size sedan segment

by first time subie owner from Midwest on April 8, 2013

I purchased a white (with black cloth), sport trim, legacy which comes with 18" dark-accented rims, moonroof, fogs, and sport peddles. Looked at every mid-size including the CX5, Verano, Cruze and VW Golf TDI. Originally down to a new Accord (sport) or the new Mazda6 (touring) but neither trim offered a moonroof. Have to go to the top trim on the 6 for a moonroof which is a $30K car...for the Accord, no moonroof on the sport trim at all. Both were deal breakers. Legacy feels extremely solid...build quality is excellent. Seats are extremely supportive, gauges and dash are clear and easy to read. 31 mpg on 70% HWY driving which is great for AWD. The ride is on the firmer side but still quite comfortable, no floating/body lean. I can see out of this car much better than other, more coupe-like designs which my kids appreciate. As to the CVT, I think it's a great transmission. It delivers smooth power all the way to cruising speed as there are are no delays/shifts. It is a little different but I got used to it in about a week. Now I'm not sure I could go back. Ecstatic about the car and everyone I talked to that owns a Subaru seems to love them. There are not many of them running around which makes it a little more unique...the brand seems to be for people that don't having a problem doing their own thing. I've had several compliments...the latest said it looked like a $35K sports sedan rather than a sub-$25K mid-size sedan.

First Subaru, best decision

by Getitn1 from Sacramento CA on January 20, 2013

Pros are AWD for safe driving in all weather conditions, unique styling, more rear seat leg room than large SUVs, standard Bluetooth phone and audio streaming with steering wheel controls, excellent handling, very good value with in segment and Subaru's superior reputation for reliability. The only Cons I have are road noise compared to luxury cars but on par for standard midsized sedan and I didn't buy a Subaru before. Also I haven't talked to any owner who has not loved their Subaru!

4WD AWESOME HERE IN SEATTLE FOR SNOW AND RAIN

by YUMMY from BOTHELL, WA on January 2, 2013

Good price and reliable because it is 4wd dependable, nice features. I would recommend to everybody that, if you are looking for 4wd, go and buy Subaru, it is reliable and runs good to snow and ice.

Sporty, Fun & Safe

by nateowen1977 from Appleton, WI on March 12, 2013

I purchased the sport model and it was worth the upgrade. The upgraded suspension + 18" rims make it definitely more fun to drive and ride in. The black interior on the Sport model also makes it feel like less of a midsized, 4dr sedan. The CVT makes a little different noise than one may be used to coming from a non-CVT vehicle but after a few weeks it is no longer noticeable. The AWD is great as I live in Wisconsin. There is AWD, then there is the Subaru AWD! I have 3 children in full-sized car seats (Britax) and they actually all fit back there! I was impressed. The room in the backseat is also quite impressive. For those of you that like to do maintenance on your own, changing the oil could not be easier. The Oil filter is upside down and right in front on top under the hood (with a little tray w/sides on it so the drips go back into the engine when you remove it). For the price, you cannot beat this car, especially if you want AWD. Other AWD models in this class will cost you substantially more and their AWD is definitely not the same.

18 months later

by Galveston from Brownsboro, Texas on August 7, 2014

This 2013 Legacy 2.5 I Premium is my 6th Subaru. It is the first one in this class, the previous one being a 2007 Impreza. While we don't get snowy roads often where I live, the all wheel drive feels secure on rain-slick surfaces. I actually like the firm ride that some complain about as that translates into good handling on curves or in sudden evasive manuevers. I would actually like a little more performance, but the better fuel economy that the 4 cyl delivers is some compensation. The 2.5L 4 is fairly lively. The seats are comfortable for extended drives, and I notice that the trunk appears larger than at least one popular competitor. Rear seat leg room is more like a larger car. After 1 1/2 years and 23,000 miles, the only thing done to this car is scheduled oil changes and tire rotation. Even the ice blue finish looks good when it hasn't been washed for a week or two.

Traded from a Jeep - Never going back!

by Mike from ND from Portal, North Dakota on September 23, 2013

I live and work on my farm in northern North Dakota, about ten minutes away from the Canadian border. When I got my Legacy (I got the 2.5i model) I was trading up from a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which I absolutely loved - but with gas prices, I decided to give the Legacy a try since it was said to get 30+ on the highway, but I was worried it wouldn't have the AWD capability of my Jeep, and I couldn't have been more wrong. My Subaru takes whatever you throw at - whether it be a couple feet of mood from a flood, or rocks near the mountains, or the couple feet of snow we get every winter - and conquers it easily. I get about 27-28mpg combined, too, which is great. And considering how rough I treat my cars and drive them through - my SUbaru hasn't let me down, yet. Haven't had to do anything except rotate the tires and change the oil. For what I need my car for, my Subaru is the perfect fit, I don't think I'd ever trade it away - except maybe to get a new Legacy someday. Subaru won itself a customer

1 2 3 4 5