2007 Outback

2007 Subaru Outback

2007 Subaru Outback

4.5

Have you driven the 2007 Subaru Outback?

Best all-round vehicle I've every owned.

by AWD Man from Lafayette, IN on Mon Mar 08 2010

Bought the Outback to replace an 04 Forester XT. While I miss the turbo power of the XT motor, the vast improvement in fuel economy and the cost savings in not needing premium fuel more than offset the power difference. The Outback is loaded with the premium options pkg. (Leather, sunroof, etc.) It is extremely well balanced, predictable, and comfortable. I have 65,000 miles on the odometer. (95% road miles) Am averaging 27 mpg. The only wish I have to make this car any better would be a 5 or 6 spd automatic transmission instead of the 4 spd auto/stick. After having owned numerous American, German, and Japanese makes I am convinced that Subaru has the best overall value for the money. I'll eventually buy another Subaru, but this one is a KEEPER!

Outback

by Old Motorhead from Philadelphi,PA on Mon Apr 12 2010

This is our second Subaru, replacing a Forester that was totaled by an impaired driver (fortunately, it was parked). It was purchased used, through a Subaru dealer, with a 5 year warranty. We had no problem with a used vehicle, based on the 98000 miles on the old one. It is a comfortable, reliable vehicle. Even though it is a "station wagon", it's actually fun to drive. The standard features are excellent. We are planning to buy another Subaru next year.

Fantastic Value!

by mountain driver from MT on Mon Jun 11 2012

I bought a pre-owned 2007 Outback Limited 3 months ago to replace an F150. The gas savings has been even better than expected! Am averaging 25-26mpg, and I drive 9 miles up a 2000' elevation to work everyday and a trip into the nearest town 18 miles away 3-5 times a week. After test driving many vehicles in this size category, this Subaru was hands-down the smoothest and most comfortable. Being in the NW, the heated seats are an added pleasure. Plus the 4 hour snowstorm I was surprised with, and had to drive through, on the second day of ownership confirmed that all of the #1 ratings for best handling in snow were 100% correct. The only drawback I have is that the exterior styling is rather "boring". I wish they had used the two tone versions around the bottom of the car body to break the monotony of all one color with no accents. Overall, I am VERY pleased with this vehicle.

Though a wagon, exceeded my expectations

by Desert Crawler from Ridgecrest, CA on Sun Dec 10 2006

My wife and I just purchased our first Subaru. We did a lot of research and found everything we read was true when we drove the Outback. The options between the base package and the next package was priced very well. We drove the car home about 140 miles and could not believe the mpg we were receiving. The interior is incredible. After driving for about 140 miles I was becoming restless. I deseried to drive the car because it is so much fun to drive. The only complaint is the amount that needs to be paid to install the XM service. Overall, this car is incredible and I would defenitly buy another. My wife and I have been to numerous car dealerships and the Subaru dealership are very intelligent about their cars. They were very friendly and not forceful in trying to sell you a vehicle. I will be a Subaru owner for years to come!

great balance of usability and comfort

by Practical car lover from tampa Bay, florida on Mon Nov 06 2006

very smooth combo of drivetrain and suspension with limited offroad possible. I have non-turbo with automatic. Switches, leather , steering equal or better than my Infinity and more comfort, better tracking on highway. The Infinity is good but Outback limited wagon is very good and feels like one piece with no annoying small noises or chasis flex. Very impressive as is the 26+ mpg on reg. MPG was on first tank of gas with less than 200 miles on car. This is with automatic and city plus 70mph hightway use. My wife has become posesive about this car, first time ever including new MB's and Saabs. Indications are that 100,000 miles will be trouble free although with only 800 miles on car it is too early to really know. Suggestions are:1. lower wind noise, 2. offer red exterior color, 3. Improve auto climate software. No new car adjustments or service needed so far. Can't say that about any other new car I have had.

nicest car I've owned

by moi from Colville, Washington on Wed May 29 2013

Love everything about the car but the road noise. I've had the car about 1 month. just took it on a long trip. tire noise is considerable for me. hope new tires will resolve that issue. Am told the tire size, 17 inch, factors into that. why they going to bigger tires??? Look forward to being able to get up my driveway this winter!

92K just change head gaskets

by Randy from Dayton Ohio on Tue Jun 28 2016

This is the 5th Subaru that I have owned over the past 35 years (1978, 1983, two 1992, and 2007) all 4WD wagons. I have never had any issues with Subaru engines till just now on the 07. Just had both head gaskets change out due to leaking anti freeze at 92K miles. I guess this has been a on going issue with the 2.5 I engine from around 97-2010. So I guess I am not the only one that this has happened to so I'm not alone. All of my previous wagons lasted well over 130K on the engines. They all seamed to have rusted to death before anything else happened to them. The cost to repair the head gaskets, all oil seals, gaskets, timing belt and gears, spark plugs and wires, oil change, antifreeze flush came in at $2000.00 the engine was totally removed from my car to do the repair. When I think that just to change the timing belt and pulleys alone would have been$700, and to change the plugs $250. The 2K cost of the complete job was really not that bad of a price. However Subaru did change the type of material that the new head gasket is made of. So it obvious that they know there is a issue with the orginial gasket material. I am sure that I will purchase another Subaru in the future at some point, just hope this one will last 6 more years

A Real Automotive Value... No Joke!

by no.radar from Chicago, Illinois on Wed Jan 07 2009

We found a 2007 Outback with under 2,000 miles at a local Subaru dealership. The goal was a reliable first car for a college-senior daughter. The Outback--now with over 13,000 miles on it--has proven itself to be the PERFECT choice. She loves everything about the car, from its Atlantic blue paint to the way the interior is intelligently laid out to the many features common to more expensive cars. Remote start was a terrific option! Mileage on the highway for the non-turbo four cylinder has routinely exceeded 30 mpg. And the all-wheel drive has proven its worth on icy highways this winter. Build quality of the car is on par with VW and Audi (I have owned seven of the latter). Ride is taut, but not harsh. Minimal body lean. Engine has plenty of pep. Handling is precise. Cargo area (and hidden storage) is ample. We'd buy another one in a second. HIGHLY recommended.

Informed Buyer

by Informed Buyer from NYC - moved to TX on Mon Jul 09 2007

As a ?madison avenue advertising execuitive?, I have lived and driven in multiple countries (both left and right handed sides), and have owned Honda?s, Mitsubishi?s, Mazda?s, Ford?s, Holden?s and my favorite Saab convertible. But this review is about what my wife and I call the ?sporty station wagon?. Yes we all have dreaded memories of our parents road trips in that monstrous fit all car during our early childhoods (depending on your age). But for some of us a ridiculous gas guzzling, unmaneuverable, stylistically challenged and worst of all, generically ubiquitous SUV is not an option. We decided upon an individual car? The Subaru Outback 4 cylinder. The car has superb all wheeldrive, god knows I?ve tried to spin tires, understeer into corners and basically many other rally techniques, but it just keeps holding the bitumen. Borrowing someone else phrase, it has enough ?zoom zoom? even without the turbo. And easily rides over the bumpiest terrain without you noticing due to its shocks and above average clearance. Mileage is more than acceptable, ranging from 24 to 31 depending on lead foot or conservative technique. Let?s now discuss the interior and comfort ? modern and spacious, very well crafted seats, both front and back and comfortable. Ash tray section is useless but does hold a Motorola V or gate opener rather well. Many fold away anchors for holding all sorts of components in the back and underneath the floor e.g. first aid kit, elastic straps etc etc. Only problem I have noticed is that at about 36 degrees or less the flat tire pressure warning comes on? well that was fixed. Personally speaking the Volvo XC is its only real competitor but at 3 times the price that is the end that. These cars are all made in Japan under the strictest of quality controls and for those whom live in the eastern seaboard and northeast, they are very well known. Of course the image for this vehicle is a sporty, outdoors fit individual and not the 70?s station wagon we all remember. My advice, test it ? after all test driving is free and an informed buyer never has remorse, they only glee each time you drive past a large SUV and look at the never smiling driver beside you.

less power than my previous 2005

by Colodrive from Denver, CO on Fri Apr 10 2009

My first Outback XT 2005 is very fast and responsive. My newer one 2007 they changed the Turbo system with a special "select mode" knob. The 2007 has some serious turbo lag , and is much less fun to drive than the 2005 ! Also the auto transmission lags and is sluggish when compared to the 2005.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2007 Subaru Outback

Now in its 13th year, the Subaru Outback wagon is still a viable SUV alternative, though its advantages are no longer exclusive in a growing class of wagons and car-based SUVs. Since its inception, the Outback has remained the same size and concept, which I think is justified, but with each year and each new competitor its still-unaddressed quirks get harder to accept. The optional Subaru Intelligent Drive (SI-Drive) gives drivers a choice between exceptional acceleration or gas mileage that's promised to be even better than EPA estimates.

Which Outback?
The Outback covered in this review is a version of the midsize Subaru Legacy. There is also a version of the smaller Impreza hatchback called the... Read More