2014 Outback

4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Amazing vehicle with awesome capability - 18,500mi

by Rocky Mountain Subie Owner from Arvada, CO on January 12, 2015

I bought my 2014 Outback Premium 6MT in May of 2014, and it has served me very well thus far. I will start with the "bad" parts first: - Ride can be a little rough if you are on a badly paved road, but this is to be expected with a chassis and suspension designed for use off road. - Standard tires (Continental All Seasons) leave something to be desired, but that is easily remedied. Now for the good: - Performance: For a car that weights nearly 4000 lbs, the 174hp/176lb/ft of torque engine is quite peppy. Mated with the 6 speed manual transmission, this thing will carve up mountain roads of varying terrain composition. I never feel like I have needed "a little more push." - Economy: In the city, I have been averaging about 26mpg. Highway has been 31.5mpg. Worse I have gotten was 19mpg (heavy snow, bad traffic, and very cold). Best was 35mpg. - Styling: Aggressive front fascia with good body lines. Large fog lamps a major plus. Projector lamps give excellent nighttime visibility. - Practicality: This is the definition of this vehicle. With 31+ cu. ft. of cargo behind the back seats, the car is already amazingly spacious. Fold the seats down and you can run with 71+ cu. ft. of storage. Good on fuel, so you can go further with whatever you do. The special adjustable roof rack system is fantastic as well, allowing easy use and stowing of the crossbars when not in use (just fold them away) which can be done in just a couple of minutes. - Comfort: I spend many hours a day in my Outback, and I am never in pain or tired from driving this car. It has been amazing on roadtrips and while camping, as you can easily sleep in the back trunk area with seats down (I am 6' 4"). As stated earlier, ride comfort may be somewhat rough on potholed roads, there isn't much vertical jolting, and the car will smooth out most bumps in the road. - Off-road Capability: For being a family wagon, this vehicle does exceptionally well. Most obstacles can be cleared by just simply driving over them with the 9" of ground clearance. If you have to lift a wheel, the Outback will keep the car moving foward with little to no wheel spin. Best road I have taken my Outback on was that of Mt. Sherman. I drove it all the way up to the upper parking area (roughly 11,000 ft), where rocks are averaging about 8" across. The car handled it like a champ with 24 gallons of water and a weekend of camping gear in the back. - Reliability: Never gotten me stuck or made me feel unsafe. Oil changes are every 7500 miles. Oil might be a little more difficult to find, as it uses 0W-20, but it is available. Very little oil usage to be reported (as all engines use a little, even brand new cars). - Handling: No qualms here. The Subaru Vehicle Dynamics control helps keep the car moving in a straight line with a clever use of brake and gas. ABS is standard and works superbly. The Traction Control can be turned off, which just allows for extra wheelspin to get the into those fun powerslides in the snow or when you need to keep wheels spinning in off road situations (if it is on, the engine power will be reduced to prevent the wheelspin, even with your foot planted). Overall: I cannot say enough good about this car. I had a 2001 Outback before it, and the 2014 definitely lives up to the Outback name created then, and then some. I look forward to many, many more miles with this vehicle.

Attack of the awesome Outback

by J from North Carolina on August 29, 2016

Have had this car 2 years, bought new. 25,000 miles with absolutely no problems. Rides great, very capable off-road. AWD keeps vehicle stable in any inclement weather including rain, snow, mud, etc. Back seat outstanding for both kids and adults, lots of legroom, and back seats recline. Use it to go hunting/fishing/hiking. Will go just about anywhere a 4wd truck will go, and because it is much lighter, maybe more places. Minimalist interior, everything works good, but do not expect an 8 inch HD touch screen with a cabin bursting with the newest technology. Love the simplicity, a lot less to go wrong. Blue tooth works good, Harmon Kardon sound is a must over base factory system, heated seats get down right hot, transmission is smooth, paddle shifters on steering wheel are awesome for smooth deceleration in rain and snow. Easiest oil change in the history of the world (oil filter is located on top of engine, easy to get to). Overall just a fantastic car. Used prices on these can be a bit high, but built like a tank, get what you pay for.

Love This Car

by Needed a wagon from Stephentown, NY on May 24, 2014

I am rather fussy about a car and how it looks, handles and if it meets my needs. I have friends who have Subaru Outbacks and I was very impressed with the cars. I went to a dealership near me and I did a test drive and was very impressed. The ride is very smooth, I loved the all wheel drive - I live in a snow belt - the car looked great and the color was perfect. It drives like a dream, holds the road in bad weather, has heated seats, heated side mirrors and heated windshield wipers. I got a very good deal and bought it then and there and have not had one regret. Roomy, fits my needs and looks great too. I also liked the hands free cell phone system, the satellite radio, the fact when I put it in cruise control it holds the speed when going downhill - just a great car and for me it was a terrific purchase.

Almost luxurious

by 2stepper from Dayton, Ohio on May 6, 2014

I traded a 2012 Prius V (wagon) for this because I wanted a smoother, quieter ride and a taller vehicle that was easier to get in and out of. Of course I knew I wouldn't get anywhere near the 41 mpg I averaged in the Prius but I am pleasantly surprised to be averaging 27 mpg. I have found that the computer that records the fuel economy on the Outback shows very realistic readings. Each fill-up has been within 1 mpg of the actual mileage. The Prius was always optimistic by 3 to 4 mpg. About 50% of my driving is at highway speeds and after a recent fill-up and 55 miles of highway speeds between 50 and 60mph the computer was saying the fuel economy was 34-35. I'm still on that same tankful and city driving has reduced that 35 to an indicated 29. My best tank so far in the 2300 miles I have traveled has been 28 mpg. Overall I am very pleased with the Outback. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars across the board is because I find the styling a bit bland and I miss the keyless ignition and automatic climate control. I find the seats to be very comfortable and the CVT transmission very smooth and responsive and not at all intrusive. And yes, the back-up camera is a bit small (had to buy the sunroof in order to get the back-up camera!) but at least it shows a grid to aid your reversing. The Eyesight system is eerie the way it slows down my car when I'm in cruise control mode and approaching another vehicle. I followed a car onto the exit ramp and the Eyesight took over my braking as the front car slowed to a stop at the light. All I did was steer. If a car switches lanes and pulls in front of you, Eyesight will slow your car, however, I think human reaction time is quicker and smoother. In a traffic jam, Eyesight will lock on the car in front and let you creep with the traffic while automatically accelerating and slowing your Subaru to match the traffic.

Best Car I've Ever Owned

by First Time Subaru Buyer from Salem, AL on May 31, 2014

I purchased my 2014 Subaru Outback 2.5i about a month and a half ago, in the middle of April. I've since put almost 3500 miles on it (I travel a lot for work), and have found nary a complaint! I bought the base model unit with the slightly upgraded package that included the all-weather rubber floor mats, the rearview mirror electronic compass, fog lights, and the mud guards on the rear bumper and behind the tires - well worth the additional $500! I would have paid that price for the rubber floor mats themselves, which have been an absolute breeze to clean and maintain. The all time AWD has been a God-send. There's a road in my area where water pools on either side during a storm to the point where cars can't drive in that lane at all without hydroplaning. The first serious rainstorm we had, I decided to see how the AWD would handle the puddles, and it was a breeze. All fours tires stayed firmly on the road, and my husband said even his 4WD Ford truck can't do that! There's plenty of cargo room, which is great for trips. I'm averaging 28.5 MPG after nearly 3500 miles, and I do mostly highway driving. People seem to complain about the 2.5 litre engine and say it doesn't have enough power, but I traded up from a 1.6 litre Nissan Versa that I bought new in 2012, and the 2.5 litre in the Outback is a million times better than the Versa. I also seem to be spending less money overall on gas. In the Versa I was spending about $30/week to fill up, for about $120/mo on gas. In the Outback, I'm spending about $50 biweekly, for about $100/mo on gas, even though I was getting close to 40 MPG in the Versa. I've driven many cars over the years, to include an Acura, two Nissans, a Jeep, a Ford truck, and several different styles of Mazda, and the Subaru Outback is without a doubt, without competition, the best of them all. I'm a Subaru buyer for life now!

Very pleased

by EdB from Huntsville, AL on December 15, 2013

Bought a 2014 Subaru Outback 25i premium in August, and am very happy! Probably a 4.5 out of 5.0. Pros: 1. Just good design. Simple and uncluttered. 2. Performance in great. Quiet, good driving integrity, good road feedback, very confident "feel" about everything. Plenty of pickup, acceleration is there when you want it. 3. Gas mileage exceeds expectations. Got 33 mpg on a 400 mile trip at 65 mph w/o AC on. Consistently around 26-27 mpg city driving. 4. I like the bluetooth stuff. Both phone works nicely for both conversations and music player. 5. Lots of audio input - line, bluetooth, usb stick. 6. HD radio is very nice. 7. Backup camera is really good, with a reticule displayed so you really see where you are. 8. Local dealership is good to work with. Not so pros: 1. Ventilation - AC and heating - is a bit awkward. The vents are located so that you have a hard time staying directly out of the flow. Can be dealt with by tweaking but could probably be designed a bit better. 2. Wish the back seats had a button on the back so that they could be dropped from the rear, just by having the hatch open. As it is, the latch is only accessible by opening the rear door. 3. Audio - no "pause" button for any media - CD or USB. It's either play, FF/FR, or off. 4. No temperature gauge on dash panel. Instead, there is an MPG performance indicator of questionable utility. Other - wow, everything is electronic now, including the parking break. The dealer made sure to show how to manually release the brake, if necessary (special tool comes with the car), although he did say he had never heard of such a situation. Plan on spending some time with the detailed user manual. There is a lot to learn. Minor annoyances overall. Would buy again in a minute.

Good value and local service

by New Subie from Richmond VA on August 4, 2013

Impressed with the styling, size, reliability ratings, all wheel drive and cvt transmission, as well as good mileage. Very comfortable on highway although not much pick up on initial takeaway (its the 4 cyl). Seems like a good value for the price range and the extended dealer warranty was good incentive. Hope to drive it at least 200,000 miles (last car was a Lexus @ 230+ mi.)

2014 Outback Steering Wheel Vibration

by JP from Binghamton on June 26, 2014

Purchased 2014 outback last month. The steering wheel vibrates and flutters while turning. The vehicle has been at the dealer for two out of the four weeks since purchase. The Service Manager: Mike Savage (607) 341-3963 stated this is the way the car was designed and not a issue. The vehicle does not seem safe to drive and we are looking to trade. He said that all 2014 Subaru Outbacks have the flutter while turning. I would avoid this car. Google outback shake and you will see plenty of supporting data. Regards, JP

Does not recommend this car!!

Great Practical Car!!!

by Happy Lady from Tobyhanna, Pa. on January 2, 2015

I bought my car in February 2014. First off i have to say it is very comfortable. I have a sciatic nerve and if a car seat isn't comfortable it gets bad. I haven't had any problems with it while driving my car and I sometimes drive for 2-4 hours at once. I have a 3.6R limited. It has heated front seats, sunroof, leather and remote start. I like the roof rails too. They are even practical they go long ways when not needed and when needed the unlock and go across the roof.I don't have a lot of extras in it. I didn't want the navigation. I felt my cell phone updates quicker and I already had a portable navigation. When going up mountain hills it does really good. Handles the turns well too. Had eight inches of snow at Thanksgiving and the car handled great. Gas mileage isn't that great but it is an all wheel drive. I was looking at big suv's and the gas on the subaru is a couple of miles better in all areas. I have children and four dogs. Even though the big suv's give more space, I like the handling and comfort and pick up in my subaru. At times I can feel some rough spots but all in all the subaru is a winner to me hands down.It is one of the most practical cars i have ever owned and I Love vehicles :)

Good vehicle

by Outback from California on April 30, 2014

This is the first Subaru I've owned. I am very pleased with the interior and exterior. The stereo system is lacking a bit on power but then again I'm not bumping music down the street like teens so I can deal with. The drive is smooth and comfortable. I have the 2.5 engine and I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with the power it puts out, but I'm reminded that my gas mileage is better than expected (27avg) which is great for someone like me who commutes almost 100miles a day. I would have gone with the 3.6 engine, but after reading how low the mileage was I opted for the 2.5 engine. I like that I have all wheel drive at all times and that I have tons of room on the inside. I wish Subaru gave you better options for adding accessories. Overall a great car, it has been very reliable so far and if it continues to be a pleasure to drive in the next few years, I would definitely consider buying another Subaru.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11