2003 Passat

$986 - $6,062  MSRP Range
2003 Volkswagen Passat

3.9

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2003 Volkswagen Passat?

My Last Volkswagen

by car obsessed from New York on Sun Sep 02 2007

I loved this car when I bought it, and I was even happier the day I got rid of it. I don't know if I disliked the car more, or the lousy dealer service that I received from both dealerships that I went to. The car gives the appearance of a high quality vehicle like a Mercedes or a BMW, but it is only skin deep. If you insist on buying one, stay away from the 4cyl turbo, unless the owner can produce very oil change receipt that the oil was changed at 5000 miles. The engines are prone to sludge and VW will not honor the warranty if you don't have the receipts. Also stay away from ones with sunroofs as the drains clog, and the interior floods and the computer under the rug will be ruined. Good luck if you buy one but dont say I didn't warn you.

Does not recommend this car!!

Excellent car

by AZ from Phoenix AZ on Fri Jun 05 2009

I bought mine a basic GL used, I have never had any problems with it, I'm 21 and i do all my oil changes on it. I have no ideea why all these people complain about, if you take good care of it you shoudn't have any problems. I had a chevy before and i put way more money and time into that one then into the Passat.

The Best Car I Ever Had

by John from Denver, Co on Tue Jun 02 2009

bought in 2004 a used 2003 passat with 30k miles now i have 147k miles runs like a champ never had a problem but i do every 3000 miles oil change

Wish I'd gotten one of the good ones

by Small woman driver with big complaints from Los Angeles, CA on Wed Feb 13 2008

I'm glad some of these reviewers like their Passat's and have not had problems. My 2003 wagon has the 1.8 turbo engine and has had problems almost from the get go. I've had vacuum hose problems, had the water pump impeller fail, had the brake light recall problems (twice,) had a problem with the cam shaft, rear rotors (and brakes of course) replaced twice, fuel injector problems, and more! While many of these were fixed under the warranty I didn't plan on spending so much time dealing with repair issues for a new car. I had a ten year old Saturn that presented fewer problems. Now that the warranty is mostly done (I have a few months of power train warranty left) it's starting to cost money I'd rather not be spending on a five year old car. And Volkswagen just seems to think it's not a problem, I guess they don't expect that much quality in their vehicles. We'll find out tomorrow what's up with the most recent flashing check engine light and burning smell. But hey, it's been a month since the last repair, I suppose I should be glad. I do like the way the car drives when it's working and like that it fits me comfortably.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best Car I've Owned Yet!

by Martin C. from Chesterton, IN on Thu Jun 08 2017

I was sceptical when I bought this car used with 110k, but it turned out to be one of the best cars I've ever owned! The motor is very reliable, especially if you maintain it regularly. The exterior and interior of my vehicle is immaculate and people are always surprised to hear that it is a 2003. The ride is not too noisy at high speeds (70+mph) and handles well on winding country roads. If you happen to find one in this generation that looks great I would definitely recommend buying it. You will not regret it.

Would buy another Passat in a heartbeat

by Love my Passat from San Diego, CA on Tue Dec 09 2008

We have loved this car. It has always done well for us and we have never had any issues with it at all. I would definitely get another one. We had to sell our first VW because we were leaving the country for 3 years and it broke my heart to part with it. We will always have VWs. If you take care of them properly, you will never have issues.

very reliable car

by Amir from Ashburn VA on Wed Oct 18 2017

Strong engine and transmission. Never had problem. I had 2003 model and I recommend passat to my cousin also.

Passat - Quality, Value, performance

by Euro Car Lover from Atlanta, GA on Fri Dec 08 2006

I have 50K miles on a 2003 Passat and could not be happier with this vehicle. No significant maintenance problems and excellent performance. Excellent handling and acceleration and interior design. Only drawback is lack of storage inside cabin. Otherwise have no complaints. Very comparable to more wel-regarded German sedans (BMW, Audi)

Really Love riding it, have very good electronics

by Kaps from CO on Mon Jun 26 2017

Inside very neat and clean, Leather seats, GLX 4 Motion means AWD (high end), Have sunroof, Auto adjustable mirrors when you put it in Reverse mode, Mirros have defrost really help during snow, Wagon provides big storage, leather heated seats really help in winter, strong body, Monsoon sound system with CD, Radio and Tape very good, Every trouble or error you get display as text on dashboard, Worth buying with all loaded features, and really worth for money, Based on Age body is in very good condition, have little dent/scratch in rear passenger door and scratch at back side.

My Favorite Car

by 05Redondo from Columbia,MO on Wed Nov 08 2017

I loved this car. The performance and engineering were superb and the comfort, security, and safety were top notch. Only problem was that the level of maintenance required was more than I could provide. If you are a very detail oriented do-it-yourselfer or don't mind paying the dealership to do the regular maintenance then this car could be good for you. Also - there is a huge difference between this car and non-northern european cars in terms of winter comfort, handling in icy or snowy weather, and general safety in bad weather, You can really tell this car was designed by people living in a snowy/icy climate.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7