Model Details

2011 Chevrolet Avalanche Consumer Reviews

Average based on 17 reviews

2011 Avalanche LTZ

by from Baltimore, MD on April 5, 2011

Purchased a new 2011 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ 4 wheel drive in Taupe Gray. The Avalanche is the prefect blend of a truck and a SUV. Exterior - The LTZ adds just enough chrome to accent the muscular appearance of the vehicle without making it seem gaudy. The 20 inch rims are wrapped in massive 275/55/20 all season rubber. The paint samples in the brochure do not do this vehicle justice. Spend time driving to dealers and look at all the colors in person. The color we choose looks nothing in person like the little color swatch on the brochure. For example, the Taupe Gray is very deep with hints of light blue and red metallic flack, that pops out in direct sunlight and looks fantastic with the Avalanche appearing to change color depending on the lighting. Interior - The LTZ package gives you the impression you are in a luxury car. The heated and cooled seats are a wonderful touch. The interior is very spacious. The "fun and sun" package includes a sunroof and rear seat DVD player is worth every penny. The gauges are well thought out and the drivers information center displays a lot of useful data like trans temp (when towing), average fuel economy, instant fuel economy (v8 and v4 mode), trip, oil life and engine hours. From the drivers seat you have a commanding view of the road. It should be noted that rear visibility is lacking but is easily rectified with the back up camera and auto tilt side mirrors that angle down to show you the parking lines and curb when backing up. The back up camera is a must for a person not accustomed to driving such a large vehicle. The back seats fold down and the entire rear of the vehicle opens up to extend the rear bed into the interior compartment. Another nice feature is the rear window and be removed to allow for an almost convertible feel when all the windows and the sunroof is open. The drivetrain is similar to that found in the Silverado, Tahoe and Suburban. The 5.3L V8 provides enough thrust to adequately accelerate onto the freeway. The towing capacity, while less than the Silverado (9,600 vs. 8,100) is still more than adequate when equipped with the HD trailer package. The 6 speeds automatic is geared well to the intended application but the shifts are lazy at best. The "air ride" suspension that is standard on the LTZ soaks up the bumps and dips with ease and allows for load leveling when hauling a heavy load. The 4 wheel drive system gives you a 2 Hi, 4 Auto, 4Hi, & 4Lo options. All these systems work flawlessly when called upon. Gas mileage (15 City and 21 highway) is not bad as most people would think given all the utility this vehicle as to offer and the amount of weight this vehicle carries. The instant fuel economy gauge goes a long way in helping you adjust your driving style to achieve your best MPG. On an extended highway trip the 31 gallon fuel tanks makes it so you'll need to stop for a bathroom break before you need to fill up again. Price is a little on the high side but if you time your purchase right (like waiting for a "Truck Month" promotion) you can easily purchases these vehicles for thousands below MSRP. Bottom line: This is a vehicle your family will fall in love with.

Best large truck/SUV I've owned

by from Newport Beach, CA on December 14, 2012

So impressed with the Avalanche LTZ. I've owned Mercedes ML, GL & Range Rover and overall performance dominates the Rover and ML at about 30k less. The Avalanche doesn't handle like a truck at all. It's very smooth, clean and quiet. It's turning radius is fantastic for a large vehicle and creature comforts are great and really close to par with Mercedes & RR. It's super roomy too and great for weekend jobs and family campouts. Better jump on the 2013's because this will be the last model year.

buddy

by from rapid city sd on April 10, 2014

one of the best trucks i have ever owned excellent gas milage. LTZ MODEL IS WORTH THE MONEY I went to MARTHALER CHEVY OF GLENWOON MN AND SAVED $9000

Geat Truck

by from Ohio on March 12, 2012

Just got a used 2011. I owned a 2002 for 8 years and it was very reliable. This is the first time I've bought the same model truck. My 2002 was such a good truck, I had to go for another one. The 2011 has improved engine performance and fuel milage. So far very happy with it. Would highly recommend the Avalanche.

Awesome

by from Colorado springs, CO on August 20, 2012

Love my new Avalanche - second one I've owned So sad they will be ending production! or I would be buying another in a few years

2011 Avalanche great vehicle so far

by from Olathe, KS on April 16, 2012

I really like the flexibility the vehicle provides. Rides as nice as the 2008 Denali I had and offers me pick up flexibility. I would definately recomend the vehicle so far. It is pricey, and gas milage isnt great, but I think you expect both when buying this caliber of vehicle

Nice truck

by from Urbandale, IA on March 5, 2012

I recently traded in a 2006 King Ranch F 150 for this 2011 Avalanche. I've only owned it about a month and only driving about 2,500 miles, but so far I've been very pleased. In my old F 150 I was only getting about 12 mpg around town and 15 - 16 mpg on highway. With Avalanche, I'm getting a solid close to 16 mpg around town and got 20 mpg on a 250 interstate drive. It is a noticeable upgrade in fuel economy from old truck. It is a nicer, quieter ride too. Feels less like a truck than old one.

On my Third Avalanche

by from Oklahoma City, OK on February 25, 2014

I started with a 2004, then a 2007, now a 2011 LTZ. I love it. Never had one single problem with it, have only done regular maintenance. It's very sad that GM stopped production of the Avalanche. Don't know what I will do next! If you are looking for used vehicle (since you cannot buy new ones now) I recommend you find one and hang on to it. Another great thing is that since they stopped making it, those of us that own them are enjoying high resell value! An Avy rides somewhere in between truck and an SUV like say a Suburban. Nice ride on the highway. Does decent in snow and ice etc.

my first truck and it's the best!!!!

by from arkansas on June 14, 2011

this is the best car period, i have ever owned. i wish would have bought this truck eight years ago.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

2011 Avalanche LT

by from Stillwater, NY on May 4, 2011

The Avalanche is a great combination of SUV and truck. It's the perfect fit for those that need a truck part of the time and and SUV part of the time. The exterior is a nice cross between ruggedness and class. It's a very clean look and many people have told me how sharp the truck looks, especially with the 20" polished rims. The interior is much nicer than would normally be associated with a truck. The seats are comfortable and supportive, even on long trips. We took a 13 hour trip in our Avalanche and there were no aches that are usually associated with a long trip. The Avalanche can be optioned with most of the amenities in the Chevrolet parts bin. The Nav system is a wonderful addition along with the XM radio with traffic alerts. It displays traffic alerts on the Nav screen when it receives them so you can make changes accordingly. The Rear seat DVD player can keep the kiddies occupied but it does impair the view through the rear view mirror. The backup camera and rear sensing system are a must as rear vision throughout the vehicle is limited. The Avalanche handles much better that a vehicle of this size should. Even my wife, who is not a fan of large vehicles, likes to take the Avalanche when she goes shopping. Fuel mileage could be better but it is much better than you think. 21 MPG on a long trip isn't bad for a vehicle that weighs 5500 pounds. Is it expensive? Yes, about $3K more than a comparable Silverado but it's the cost of flexibility. How many Silverado's can carry 5 people or an 8x4 sheet of plywood? This is my second Avalanche and I have been happy with both. There are rumors that there will be no next generation Avalanche after the current model. I hope not, this truck fits my family perfectly.