2008 Chevrolet Cobalt Consumer Reviews

4.2
Average based on 40 reviews

Fun for your money!

by from Olmsted Falls, OH on April 15, 2010

My particular model (Cobalt SS Turbocharged) is great fun for the money and can make some serious power when a few minor tweaks are done to it. Although the power it makes out of the box is pretty darn good! Very reliable, has never given me any problems or concerns after nearly 20k miles on it. The only thing that is not that great is the factory tires...while they do provide for pretty decent grip in most weather conditions (except snow because they are summer only tires) they did not last very long. They were bald...and I mean BALD...by about 18k. The interior is a bit dull when compared to other cars in this segment like the MazdaSpeed3, the GTI, and the Civic SI. But for the money, you can run rings around all of that lot! As for fuel efficiency....What more could I as for? I generally baby it with the very infrequent trip to the race track and "spirited" driving down some windy back roads...but other than that I see on average about 33-35mpgs on the highway and about 23-24 in the city. Great little car and when I did a lot of highway driving back and forth to work when it was further away I used to see about 350-380 miles on a single tank. Pretty impressive for a car at this performance level. The well bolstered seats are surprisingly comfortable, even on longer trips they are very good. But they really shine when you take some bends...They hold you firmly in your seat while not being too intruding like the seats in an SRT-4 for example. The premium Pioneer radio that the SS model is equipped with is quite good and doesn't need any upgrades what-so-ever. Very user friendly interface and the controls on the steering wheel are a great complement especially the big mute button which comes in handy any time you get a phone call. I wish I had waited for the next model year when the sedan came out as the extra interior space and more usable back seats would have been nice. On the coupes, you do get a slightly better rear design and a more aggressive rear fascia, but the back seats are nearly unusable if you are a taller person in the driver seat like myself. There are only two things that I wish this car was equipped with (and trust me if they were optional I would have gotten them). One is a telescoping steering wheel. If you are a taller person it takes A LOT of fiddling around with seat height and position to get pedal position/steering wheel position just right in this car...and God forbid someone else drives your car and messes everything up..because then you will spend the next 15 minutes trying to get your "spot" back and cursing that person's name. The other thing is heated seats. The 05-07 SS models had them but they took them away for 08-10...not sure what the logic there was but I wish they hadn't done that. The one option I 100% do recommend if you do any form of track racing, auto crossing, road-course racing, or most importantly..winter driving...is the Limited Slip Differential. MAKE SURE your car is equipped with this option as it made winter driving a breeze and hugs corners and accelerates out of them without spinning the inside wheel when racing. As for interior quality...eh...LOTS of hard plastics and I wish they had done a slightly better job with the touch points but like I said...for the money...those things are made up for elsewhere in he car. Overall, would I buy this car again? Oh yes...but I would get the Sedan SS instead!

Not Good Luck

by from Tawas, Mi on December 15, 2008

I don't know if my car is a lemon or what but i would not recommend this car to a friend. I have just had bad luck with my car and it seems like something is always breaking. I've had transmission problems, speaker problems, and had to have a fuse box replaced.

5 Speed Manual LS

by from New Jersey on May 17, 2010

Very nice little car, simple and fun to drive. Rather quick (8.0sec 0-60mph) with the 5 speed, plenty of pickup to navigate around traffic. Very high gas mileage if I don't drive it to hard, it is a very fun little car though, so Gas mileage is about 27-28 overall. 37-40+ is easily achieved by taking it easy and coasting around. The styling on the coupe is fantastic, very minimal but good lines and attractive rear end. I don't care much for the 4-door's taillights or body lines though. Nice layout for controls. Interior materials feel a bit cheap overall but expected for economy car. Interior a bit low for taller drivers, but back seat is rather roomy for a coupe. Overall very satisfied with the value.

Piles of Fun to drive!

by from Pittsburgh, PA on July 20, 2013

I recently bought a 2008 Chevy Cobalt used with 60,000 miles on it. This car vastly exceeds my expectations of economy car performance! The leather seats are incredibly comfortable for long and short rides and the car has a fantastic turning radius. The cobalt practically eliminates all parking difficulties even in the most cramped of spaces. The manual gears are very forgiving and allow for sudden slow downs without major issue. Also, the 2 side back seats (while a bit hard to get into) have ample legroom for adults. The sound system is very good and creates an excellent listening experience (none of the tinny sound common to most cars) The only negative things are: the car is very noisy, especially in the rear seats and, the gearshift is a bit far back (it knocks my elbow when I use it). I would absoulutely recommend the cobalt to anyone looking for an economy car that provides a fun-to-drive experience both in the city and on the highway. It never feels underpowered and turns like a dream.

Questionable quality

by from Dallas,TX on October 31, 2011

Having driven GM cars exclusively my whole life, I have driven many different cars. These cobalts are pure junk. I hate to admit it since I'm a GM fanatic but they are junk. My car has had front end clunking problems that can't be resolved, transmission was rebuilt with 20,000 miles and it is full of interior rattles. The only good things about this car are the 2.2 ecotec and some other useful features like the driver information center and a cold air conditioner. For a 3 year old car it has had way too many problems and they are only getting worse. I'll say this next thing for anyone looking at buying a cobalt, they have horrible suspensions that will start clunking, rattling, and do all sorts of weird things. It's a safety hazard and GM won't do anything to help us owners out. Poor quality car. Poor quality company IMO.

Great Deal!

by from Southern Utah on August 2, 2010

I was extremely pleased when I found my cobalt on cars.com. It was exactly what I was looking for - economical, practical, good handling and the perfect price! THANK YOU cars.com!

over all its great

by from Wausau, WI on November 3, 2009

good price, great milage. not bad for the long trips either. a little more power wouldn't hurt but overall the car is worth the money

Chevy Cobalt is an awesome car!!!

by from Caribou, ME on December 10, 2013

I bought a 2008 Cobalt used with around 15000 miles on it. The car is manual shift with the 2.2 liter engine and now has 102,000 miles on it. Over the years the only money I have had to put in this car was a set of 4 summer tires and a set of 4 winter tires. I recently went for inspection and was told I needed front rotors and brake pads. I could hardly believe it took 102,000 miles to wear them out, this is almost unheard of. The cheaper speakers in the doors had to be replaced after they stopped working, I found a set on ebay for around $20 and replacing them was simple. Also the drivers side door lock button stopped working after I left the windows down in the rain one too many times, another cheap fix. Overall a great little car and great gas mileage. I would highly recommend this car to anyone that doesn't want to break the bank. Chevy has outdone themselves and exceeded my expectations for an affordable ride.

good cobolt

by from on August 7, 2013

Great car so far. Just purchased two months ago! Nice styling. Good gas mileage. Love the color. silver

Awesome Car

by from Bellport NY on June 6, 2009

I had the 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC and when I traded in for this car I forgot I even had my other car. Definitely worth the money.