2009 Cobalt

4.3 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.3 out of 5 starsReliability

Great first car

by graduating senior from Smithtown on June 28, 2009

My dad bought the cobalt with the intention of me using it during my senior year of high school. While it is a little hard to see out of the back window due to the high back-end, the car has very good handling, great acceleration, and I've never had a problem with it. It's not too big, so I don't feel awkward driving it, and my friends can fit in the back, even if they are a little squished. It's good that it's small; fewer people, fewer distractions while I'm driving. I seriously recommend this car, especially if it's a new driver.

Buying again.

by Buying again from Manteca Ca. on February 9, 2010

I had my 2009 Cobalt from March 2009. I commute 130 miles. I need a car that can get me up the hills, and pass if I need too, and be good on gas. The Chevy Cobalt does that for me. I get 35mpg and zip a long too. Last week my 2009 Cobalt and I were in a accident. I Love OnStar, I was seeing stars, when I heard someone talking to me, it was OnStar. So Now I am looking at getting another Cobalt.

Cobalt SS Turbo

by Middle aged car owner from Central Ohio on August 9, 2012

Really great car, you can't beat it for the money! Hanlding is is solid and feels like it's on rails in the twisties. Gas mileage is around 29-30 average mpg. Front seats are very comfortable and keep you snug during spirited driving. Shifting is great with the manual short throw shift knob. Steering feels good with little to no torque steer. With the GM stage one upgrade, the car feels even stronger. Driving this car would put a smile on any and everyone's face. You can't go wrong with buying a turbocharged Cobalt. Quit second guessing and just do it!

SS Turbo offers great performance

by Ryan from Texas on April 24, 2010

The SS Turbocharged is a huge upgrade over the previous SS Supercharged or n/a engines. For around $22K, the performance is incredible. I have 17,000 miles on mine, and I've yet to have an issue. The launch mode and no-lift shift are great additions to the car. The knock I have on it is some of the interior is cheap. I love the way it is set up, but the dash material is lousy. With four or five relatively cheap bolt-ons from Hahn, this car goes well over 300 horsepower. I don't like the exhaust note as much as the SRT-4, the GTI or the STI, but it sounds better than a Civic Si. I never cared for the previous versions of the SS Cobalt, but this one is super fun. With a good driver, this car completely stock can run faster than 14.0 in the quarter. Don't buy the high spoiler. It looks terrible.

Poor man's Porsche very rare!

by speedyo from Orlando Fl. on April 15, 2011

With Brembos and LNF upgrades will keep up with Camaro ss , Corvettes, and Audi tt for half the price. It still can eke out 35 mpg by feathering the gas. Only 400 4drs were produced in 2009 and only 14 Rally yellows out all most were Red Get one and drive safely

SS Turbo Model Only

by Professional Driver from Phoenix and Marana, AZ on December 20, 2011

After over 61,000 miles with our Cobalt SS turbo, I can honestly say it has been my favorite car to date. Pros: Turbocharged engine with strong torque band Rigid chassis with excellent suspension 27-32 mpg with 29 mpg average fuel efficiency Comfortable interior featuring Recaro seats Excellent Brembo front brakes Communicative electronically assisted steering Perfect reliability record so far Real trunk with 60/40 folding rear seats Tasteful 18" alloy 10-spoke wheels 10,000 mile service interval PW, PDL, Moon roof, Pioneer stereo for cheap Amazing overall performance for the dollar Cons: No overhead light for rear seat Cheap plastic here and there in interior Engine adversely affected by extreme heat (limits boost after turned off/on on hot days) Expensive tires (sports car gripe) Expensive synthetic oil required Somewhat stiff ride (smooth for a sports car) Restrained exterior styling I purchased this car as a replacement for my wrecked 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR. The SS has proven to be a superior car in almost every way. Other than the lack of a light for the rear seat occupants and some of the cheap plastics that have broken off in the interior, there is nothing I would change about the stock car. A truly great drive. For those wanting more performance, I highly recommend getting better tires and an upgrade to the ECU as its direct injected engine and turbocharger are capable of a lot more power than the stock tune. If you can find one in good condition, I would highly recommend it. My girlfriend and I are considering purchasing another so we can each have our own. It's that good of a deal.

Best car for the money

by jcrack from Rochester, NY on February 28, 2010

I was looking for a good vehicle with great gas miliage and this car delivers plus it has some zip to it.The 5 speed manual is nice.It handles the road great.The interior is comfortable. This car is also alot cheaper than its competitors.Great car for the money, plus its american!

Safe, reliable, money saving car.

by Soybean from Illinois on March 6, 2015

I bought my 2009 cobalt xfe about 3 years ago and I have loved it since. It gets amazing gas mileage. I've put over 50k miles on it and haven't experiences any mechanical issues what so ever. Very dependable car. The interior is somewhat basic and cheap but it's a cobalt, it's made to be affordable. The audio system is decent and the cd player has satellite radio and an mp3 hookup. The seats are comfortable enough to where I can drive 4+ hours with two herniated discs and be comfortable. The car is very safe too. I hit a tree head on doing about 45 mph and didn't get a scratch on me. I would definitely buy one again. Cheap, reliable, great fuel economy, and very safe.

2009 COBALT LS XFI COUPE

by "Sailfish" from BIGGS, CA. on March 8, 2012

IVE HAD MY CHEVY COBALT FOR A YEAR AND 3 MONTHS NOW. I GIVE THIS CAR 5 STARS! i STILL LOOK FORWARD TO DRIVING MY CAR EVERYDAY! IVE PUT APPROX. 40,000 MILES ON HER. CHANGE THE OIL AND FILTER AND AIR FILTER WHEN REQUIRED. GET ANYWHERE FROM 32 TO 48 MILES TO THE GALLON ON FREEWAY DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH WIND THERE IS. THIS HAS TO BE THE BESTCAR IVE EVER OWNED FOR PRICE. LOVE MY COBALT! THANKS GM AGAIN. BEST BUY FOR UNDER $10,000. ALL MY NEXT CARS WILL BE CHEVY!!!

Cobalt SS performance, WOW

by TooManyCars from Wisconsin on May 3, 2016

The 08+ Turbocharged SS is NOT like the rest of the Cobalts, non-SS or earlier SS. The turbocharged one went to Germany and got tuned on a famous track where it holds the record for fastest FWD car. Road + Track said it isn't just a great FWD handling car, it is a great handling car. Period. The motor PULLS HARD and the suspension and brakes: WOW! Plus with a factory GM tune, the 260HP/260ft-LB jumps to 290HP/340ft-lb and still has factory warantee. Ride is FIRM on rough roads, but fine on smoother stuff, as expected in a car with level of performance. Plus gets 36 MPG on the road if drive 60. Only downside: 1. They didn't make very many (like 4,000 TOTAL) and lots have been modded to 350+ HP. Or worse wrapped into trees and wrecked. 2. Sure the interior is plastic. SO WHAT! Magazines get SO up tight about "soft touch" Ehat ever. Leather steering wheel, nice shifter, comfy seats, who cares if the dash is plastic. GM spent the money under the hood and on suspension, where it matters in a car like this. Get one. You will have fun.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7