2014 Spark

4.3 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

I LOVE MY SPARK

by 1st Time Car Owner from Des Moines, IA on March 22, 2015

I've had my Chevy Spark since September of 2014. I was a first time car buyer who needed a cheap yet reliable car to commute to college. This car is exactly what I needed. Although it isn't fancy, it works well for commuting. I would recommend this car to people who are simple in nature but enjoy a little fun.

Excellent Little Car

by Phil from Castle Rock, CO on January 27, 2016

I picked up a 2014 1LT CVT with 40k miles from a used car dealership with all the recalls already taken care of and a 5 year 50,000 warranty. I am not a small guy, 6' 300lbs and use it predominately on the highway for my commute. I fit into it with ease and it is powerful enough to allow me to pass going up a mountain pass on my daily commute (I live at over 6000ft). It handles great albeit the steering is numb but the ride is a bit rougher than bigger cars. Interior fit and finish is great and being that it's the 1LT it has the infotainment system, bluetooth, hands free and OnStar which I love. No mechanical issues and the CVT transmission is smooth

Love my pink spark!!

by Samus from Ohio on July 31, 2013

Great car for the price buy the upgraded model it's totally worth it!! It is a little sluggish on the highway but once you get it up to speed it's fine. Use your cruise control it will get you the best gas mileage, my last fill up I went 302 miles on 9 gallons of gas!

sparkin it up!

by sparkin it up! from texas on January 15, 2014

I'm a die hard Chevy fan but I already had a truck and wanted something better on gas mileage putting around town. Yes, it only seats four but I fit a 5.5 foot Christmas tree two adults, one child and a full basket of groceries in it. It's fun to drive and comfortable considering that I'm 5'9" tall. BTW 300 miles on one tank of gas and it only took $24 to fill up. Winning!

Reliable, lots of extras, fun to drive, easy park!

by Irish4TW from Fairfax, VA on September 2, 2016

Have owned my manual trans 2LT for two years. PROS: Responsive transmission, very agile, state of the art electronics, and a lot of unexpected extras like heated seats, fog lights, bluetooth, and best of all I can easily locate it using my smart phone. Impressive mileage, size means more parking selections, four doors mean easy in-and-out for back seat passengers who say the back comfortable. Pleasantly surprised at how much cargo it can hold. CONS: Not many, mostly minor. Some cars get better mileage. Kind of a bumpy ride. Speakers were just okay. No moonroof option. Does not hold value as well as some imports.

loving my ride

by SPARK LOVER from Greeneville,TN on October 23, 2014

I have had my spark for a couple months and I love it...I agree with another buyer,it doesnt have much pull out power,and it seems it dont change gears like most cars.,But I took it where I bought it and they are great,,,He drove it with me for several minutes and assured me thats how they drive..and it is kinda noisy inside,But thats ok,,,I love my new car....Thank You Bachman Bernard......

fuel saver for the win

by bullok55 from cameron, nc on January 12, 2017

I am now commuting 97 miles one way to work and I am glad I was able to trade in my jeep wrangler for this fuel saver. So far it is a good car, its nothing high end and I think most peoples expectations on this vehicle are too high, I have a no thrills no options car that gets great gas mileage and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. I have the 5 speed manual and it gets up an goes pretty quick. I have read the automatic transmission vehicles are jerky and have a hard time getting up to speed. I highly recommend the manual. the dash cluster is a bit weird at first, and the shifter is a little close to the seat but so far this car has room for me and I am 6' 0'' and about 280 pounds.

Pretty good for the class

by JV from Bay Area CA on March 16, 2015

I own this car (2014 Spark LT 5-speed) I have 25,000 Miles on it. Performance: With the 5-speed, it's pretty quick, quick enough to merge on the freeway and keep up with 65-70 MPH traffic, or to pass someone; Much faster that 82HP would seem, but, not a sports car by any means. (I wish there was more gear spacing between 4th and 5th) Gas Mileage: I Get about 35-38 MPG per tank in mixed driving (about 60/40 city/freeway) up to 42 mpg on nice flat highway drive. Ride: Somewhat rough. It's small and light so it has trouble absorbing bumps, but it is stable and can corner pretty well. Noise: Is pretty noisy; doesn't seem to be much sound deadening. Perhaps to save weight. Could be something that I add myself. Reliability: Good so far, had 3 recalls, but have been done without trouble. The A/C works better after the recall. Only issue I have had is my my front rotors seem to have overheated and now have a slight "warp" to them which is a mild annoyance, but not a big problem. Room: I'm 5'11" and I fit just fine with my children behind me. Fits 4 adults nicely for trips around town, which is unheard of in it's category.(500, IQ, Smart) Has a LITTLE cargo space with seats up (small grocery trip) and quite a bit with the seats down (Costco trip) Price: Got the base model, so VERY CHEAP! ($12k) Adding in the good mileage and the fact that the oil change interval (according to the computer is about 8000 Miles) AND that there is NOT a timing belt due every 90K makes this one of the cheapest cars to own in the US.

BEST VALUE EVER !

by HOTRODRICH from Levittown Pa. on May 4, 2015

I was in the market for a small hatchback econocar and even I was surprised I choose a base 2014 SPARK LS 5 - SPEED. I wanted a stick and here was a well equipped Spark at a great price.The LS has more standard features than a car in the micro class has a right to. The only things I miss are cruise control and power locks. The standard features include power windows, electric power steering, A/C, ABS, traction and stability control, 15 inch alloy wheels and even a trip computer. and ON-STAR ! The ride is excellent for such a small car and the suspension is well tuned for good handling. It also has more cargo space than many of it's sub-compact big brothers 31.2 cubic feet. AMAZING ! It is also a 4-door and rear seat access is excellent. Build quality is EXCELLENT it couldn't be better if it was a euopean luxury car. Not a stitch out of place or a door gap out of line. The paint far nicer than you would expect. The interior has mostly inexpensive hard surface materials but is visually atractive and ergonomicly well done. Not a sqeak or rattle or even wind noise intrude on iterior noise but just a bit of road noise from the tires. a small price to pay. The body styling is very pleasing and just a bit shocking. Mine is blue but they really look great in red. Now for the real reason for buying a small car. The Spark is a very low maintainance car,it never needs a timing belt change ( it has a lifetime chain ) and doesn't need a tune-up until 100,000 mi. It won't win many drag races but it really has plenty of power for real world driving. I drive high speed highway, city and rural mountain roads and the 5-speed Spark handles it all with ease. The 1249cc engine is an extremely smooth free reving and pleasant. The EPA gas milage ratings are 31 mpg city and 39mpg highway 34 mpg combined. That being said I get an astonishing 43.5 mpg combined with ease. Put that all together with a good warranty and 5 years fee roadside assistance and 2 years free maintnance the Spark is a fantastic deal and worth a look if you need inexpensive transpotation. I'm glad I bought a Spark and will consider buying another in the future.

Reliable, Inexpensive Car

by Rowell from Connecticut on July 8, 2014

I have had my 2014 Chevy Spark 1LT for almost 3 months now. I've put almost 6,000 miles on it so far. It has been reliable. The Good: - Inexpensive car. Good value for the dollar. - The way I drive (average of about 40mph, keeping the engine at or under 2000rpm), I am seeing about 41 to 43mpg. Even with gas at $3.70 a gallon, I have yet to spend $30 to fill my tank (getting 370-395 miles per tank). I was pleasantly surprised to see better mileage than the manufacturer promised. - The entertainment center (Chevy MyLink) is really nice. Paired with Siri on my iPhone, I can answer phone calls handsfree, ask for weather, sports scores, etc. At the drive-in, when we get there early, we can watch a movie on the MyLink screen before the drive-in movie starts. - Surprisingly roomy. I am 6 foot tall and fit comfortably in the driver's seat, with plenty of headroom. Additionally, I've totted 10 bags of mulch with the rear seat in the down position. - I've had no problems with acceleration. I've had no trouble passing other, slower cars...or moving when I need to move. - OnStar and Satellite radio included. Having OnStar and XM radio for the first 6 and 3 months of owning the vehicle was very nice. I could try out the services and decide whether to subscribe to their service. Not having to buy extra equipment for these services...big bonus. The Bad: - Road noise. The Spark is not a quiet car. You can hear the road at all speeds. When decelerating, and coming to a stop, the CVT idles high for 3-4 seconds before it realizes that the car is stopped. Then it downshifts to a lower, quieter gear. - You can feel the road. I mean...you can feel the road; every dip, every bump. Me personally, I don't mind it. But most people want a comforted ride where they don't feel every bump or dip. - The Air Conditioner is not so great. If you're at a stop, it is little more than a glorified fan. When you're moving, the A/C kicks on and cools. The faster you go, the cooler it gets. Up to about 35mph, the A/C will cycle on and off; you can feel it in the air being blown at you (temperature and humidity wise). I don't know if this is "as intended" or not, just a little disappointed in the A/C. - Chevy MyLink. I originally connected my iPhone to the MyLink via USB cable. I had a problem where the iPhone kept getting disconnected and reconnected every few seconds. I bought a cigarette lighter to USB power adapter and used that to power/charge the phone, and BlueTooth to connect the phone to the MyLink. It's a kludge and a workaround, but it works. Minor Peeves: - It would be nice if the center armrest were bigger. For taller people, it just doesn't sit at a comfortable location. - It would be nice if the armrests on the doors had some sort of padding, instead of just the hard plastic.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8