2001 Dodge Ram 1500

Own 2 of them

by from Phoenix, AZ on February 21, 2013

I own 2 of these trucks one a 1995 and the other a 2001Quad Cab. Both trucks have the 318 engine and are by far the most reliable vehicles i have ever owned. The 2001 has over 250,000 miles on the original enigine and while the gas milage has never been great it averages about 17 on the highway (with a 5 speed manual). Yes this vehicle is my daily driver and far more comfortable then my wifes over priced european car. My 95 has 185,000 miles on the original engine and is now on its second teenage driver. Again has never broke down or left anyone stranded. If your looking for a good reliable vehicle this is it. It will do everything you need it to do.

Second Dodge Truck I've owned

by from Miami Florida on February 12, 2013

I had never owned a truck and bought a 1994 Dodge Laramie 1500 to do a project. I expected to sell the truck when I was done. I loved it so much I kept it but alas, I was hit from behind and the insurance company would fix it so I went out looking for another Dodge. I was lucky fo find my 2001 Dodge Laramie Extended Cab with an 8 foot bed and pneumatic load levelers. I am the third owner of this truck and while it hasn't been babied it is very good condition. The interior is almost brand-new. The materials that they have chosen are far better than the older truck that I owned. The upholstery material has held up very well and there are no tears, particularly on the drivers seat where careless drivers don't lift their butts to get out of the vehicle. The cab is very well laid out and unlike the domestic pickups from Chevy and Ford, the fold up center console is a real usable desk. Mine is the extended cab version which has sufficient room to accommodate six people in the cab in a pinch. Of course the back seat's just a little bit crowded legroom wise. It folds up easily from either side and there are small compartments underneath it for storage of things like extension cords, basic tools, and the like. The exterior styling of the vehicle still is timeless. This is the last model year and beginning in 2002 they freshened design slightly but still the truck looks much the same. The engine starts and runs strongly, the transmission shifts smoothly and the truck has a great sound. The cabin is actually well insulated and quite quiet. Okay, now for all the bad stuff. It's been my experience in this truck and the last one that for a sun unprotected dashboard, you can expected to crack and disintegrate. Likewise the bezel around the instruments also tends to crack. On this truck I've removed the insturment bezels and coated the cracks with epoxy from the inside which seems to hold it together. You can buy aftermarket dash covers for about $150 and diecut carpet covers for under $50 which will protect the dash from the sun. In this sunny state, you can expect the exterior paint to become sunburned. I just had the truck painted and it looks like 1 million bucks. The long wheelbase version of this truck with the 8 foot bed makes making a U-turn quite difficult. You must have three lanes in order to effectively make a U-turn however I can haul a ton of stuff and with a bed mounted toolbox I have a mile of room for hauling tools and material. Talking about shortcomings on the interior, the map light switches on both lights no longer work properly and the sunglass holder class in the overhead console broke which I have repaired with epoxy. Comparing Chevy' design of the similar feature is superior. As everybody else has complained about the gas mileage (this truck has the 5.2 L, 318 in.³ V-8 and I get about 12 miles around town and 17 On the hwy which I consider far superior to the 9 miles around town and 13 on the hwy. That I got with my 5.9 L in the 1994 Dodge truck I had before). But overall, I absolutely love this truck. I love the way it looks, I love the way it drives, I love the way it sounds, I love the way it rides and I love the amount of stuff that I can put in it and it's reliable and it doesn't complain.

Complete beast

by from Boston MA on October 21, 2013

I use my truck for everything firewood, mulch, dirt, leaves, stone, you name it. I have the 1500 5.9 liter V8 magnum sport trim. It's a 2001 and like any old trucks somethings do need to be replaced. This truck is a great ride and looks better than half the cars on the road. It's more powerful than you think. It starts in 10 degree and 100 degree weather and works. Love the truck and it will be a sad day when I can't drive it anymore, but I look forward to buying another Ram 1500 and having another Chrysler made truck. They are the best looking trucks on the road, Period.

@001 Dodge 1500

by from Waterloo,I.A. on July 31, 2011

I Love this truck,fun to drive.Alittle rough on the gas.Besides being a gas hog,this truck is just what I am looking for in performance,and four wheeling.

Great Truck for Pulling

by from San Diego, CA on February 12, 2008

2001 Diesel Sport Cuad Dodge truck. Very good truck and can pull anything. But not much room in rear seat. Too much plastic inside interior.

Best truck

by from Maryland on November 9, 2013

I owned a 2001 short bed Ram 1500 Offroad package. Best truck I ever owned including my current 2008 F250. I sold it at 250,000 miles and regret doing it. I would have loved to have made it a project truck. I bought it brand new and it was a beast. I hauled heavy loads to the dump, took it on the beach. Just a great good looking truck. At 200,000 miles I took it to the dealer and told them to overhaul the engine, tune up what ever it needed, just do it. The service manager called me and said there was nothing wrong with it. The compression was just as as new, heads all clean. He said if it ain't broke don't fix it. I used synthetic oil and changed it every 3000 miles so I think that had a lot to do with it. My wife pressured me to sell it and now even she regrets it. I've been trying to find it and hope one day I will and can restore it.

BEST TRUCK EVER

by from RENO NV on November 10, 2006

NEVER HAD A PROBLEM IN 95000 MILES GREAT TRUCK GOOD TOWING AND FUEL MILAGE GREAT RIDE NICE HANDLING

My first Truck

by from Lakewood, CA on November 24, 2014

I bought mine back in 2005 when it had 55k miles on it. I've never had any issues with this car at all, some damage to the dash that i didn't deal with and the problems i've had with it i've caused myself. This car is just simply amazingly reliable, a tough truck that lasts very very long, it has 155k miles now and still running very well. I'm proud of my first Truck, she gets it done!

Project Truck

by from st pete Fl on May 14, 2017

I got this truck to teach my son how to work on cars. It is very easy to work on and the parts are readily available and inexpensive. We have had a very good time rebuilding the suspension and the brakes. If you are burning oil,pinging, or have bad gas millage just replace the intake manifold with the Doorman kit, this will solve your problem and your Ram will run like new. If you do the intake you should do the water-pump and a tune up at the same time. If you have it all apart and over 150k miles change the timing chain also. These trucks have week transmissions, just change the fluid, filter, and adjust the bands yearly. Also in stall a Trans cooler and always use atf+4 when filling.

OFF ROAD edition

by from Colorado boonies on October 31, 2014

I have the original Off Road edition I bought new with all the cool stuff on it, this truck has never let me down. With 90k and I still have the original brakes on it, this truck is awesome.

Uses car for Off-roading