2018 Ford Edge consumer reviews

• Exterior 4.8
Explore the 2018 Ford Edge
Shop the 2018 Ford Edge

Buyer beware; engine failure at less than 160k

BUYER BEWARE. I bought a used 2018 2.0 Edge Titanium. While previous owners can harm the car, with ignorant owners and those who do not properly maintain cars; but this was Carfax certified and had maintenance records every 5,000 for oil changes, transmission oil changes at less than 100k miles, spark plug changes... etc. I started seeing issues with the vehicle around the 140k mark. Check engine light would come on intermittently and were small codes. I have not owned this vehicle for more than 10 months and over the weekend, the car failed... total engine failure. A mechanic said that there was a major issue with the timing chain, and that with this many miles, I have a better shot at just replacing the entire motor. Keep in mind this is a $6000+ replacement at my local dealer... and I'm sure the final bill will be over that. I am having many of the issues that others are stating. From what I can tell Ford even knows that these issues are present with the vehicle, but will not recall for them. I still owe $16,000 on the vehicle and it's not even worth $5,000 now. They do not hold value well, and mine couldn't break 160k miles after being properly maintained. Please be advised and stay away from this model.

4.0

Cruise control will not work. Some of t

I have a 2018 Edge Titiaum with just over 15,000 miles. Could not get the cruise control to work. Dealer just informed me it is going to need a module costing over 17,000 , plus 300.00 labor. Seems this part should last longer than 15.000 miles.

2018 SEL V-6 excellent!!

Best used vehicle I have ever purchased!! The V-6 on my SEL makes it fun to drive, although it is a bit of a gas guzzler. I don't care because I put more priority on get up and go then MPG!

2.0

Roll the Dice with the 2.0 Ecoboost Engine.,,

I purchased my 2018 Ford Edge in October 2018. Recently (in the last few weeks), it began idling “rough”, emitting a white smoke from the exhaust and a check engine light came on. After taking it to the the dealership, I’ve come to find the long block engine needs replacement…I am sitting at around 115,00km (I live in Ontario). So I did some research and learned that there is a defect with the design of the 2.0L ecoboost engine installed in the 2018 Ford Edge along with several other makes and models. The design includes an upper deck coolant system that runs around the cylinders. A defect in the manufacturing of some engines causes a crack and coolant to leak into the cylinder, essentially putting a death sentence on your engine. Ford is aware of the issues as it’s been a common problem in previous makes/models. They even issued a Technician Service Bulletin (TSB) informing technicians of the issue in June 2022. Furthermore, Ford modified the design of the engine, given the issue, in April 2019. Now here I am sitting with my vehicle 4.5 years into my lease and just over the mileage allowance to be covered under warranty. These vehicles are a ticking time bomb with so much uncertainty on whether your engine is a dud or not. Zero help from Ford Canada. And now I am left to fork out the cash to have the engine replaced. It’s stunning that Ford is aware enough of the issues and doesn’t do anything to remedy the issue to loyal customers, despite their claim for customer service.z

1.0

Do not purchase this vehicle

I have a 2018 Ford Edge 2.0L Ecoboost with approximately 68,000 miles on it. While driving the vehicle on June 12, 2023, the check engine light began to come on and off intermittently. During this time, the vehicle began to heavily shake and began to involuntarily jerk as though it was having issues moving forward. I took the vehicle straight to a Firestone where they ran diagnostic tests for 2 days. They tried replacing spark plugs but said that is not the issue. They recommended taking the vehicle to a dealership. An appointment was made and the car dropped off at a Ford dealership on June 21,2023. After running more tests, the dealership is stating that there is a manufacturing defect with the engine block which has caused coolant leakage into the engine, damaging the engine so extensively that it needs to be replaced. I was quoted around $8,000 for repairs. I have an extended warranty with a 3rd party company who is denying my claim due to the issue being a manufacturing issue. I have done research and found this to be a common issue with this year make and model and that the issue could cause a fire or catastrophic failure. This should be a recall as people can be severely hurt in the event of fire or catastrophic failure. And most people do not have nearly $10,000 to spend to replace an issue that is common and well known at this point. I have been without a vehicle for over 2 weeks now and have no idea if or how this vehicle will be repaired.

Great ride and performance

Best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Smooth ride and eco boost engine makes it easy to get on highways and around slower traffic. Feels like 60 when you’re going 80. Comfortable and stylish.

Ford edge 2018 money pit

Just like other reviews a little over 60k miles, car started smoking on me and needs new engine, what a poc! Now I replaced the engine and my mechanic is telling me that the motor is failing too

1.0

Complete engine replacement at 62,000 miles!

I made the mistake of purchasing a 2018 Ford Edge SEL with the 2.0 Eco Boost Turbo. The car had 28,000 miles and ran fine until it didn’t. At 62,000 miles it shuttered pretty bad. Took it into my very trustworthy local mechanic I’ve used for years and learned I need a complete engine replacement!! Perfect. The term “Planned obsolescence” creeped into my mind right away. 2,000 miles past the 5 year / 60,000 mile mfr’s warranty. Bitter pill. My mechanic told me the engine sounded like a baby’s rattle. $7,000 to replace it with a Jasper engine. His advice to me was sell it bc this engine was not designed to handle the turbo Ford attached to the 2018-2020 models. He told me his supplier in St. Louis, MO had 150 of these engines in stock and selling them like hot cakes. I sold the car before I put 10,000 miles on it. Ford is ignoring they have a problem. There isn’t a recall for this either. I was told it has to be a safety situation for a car mfr to issue a recall. Hello? Catastrophic engine failure isn’t a potential safety issue? The plain fact is it’s just too expensive for them to replace how ever many thousands of Edge engines are failing. I’ve read that there are many of these engines are failing due to coolant leaking into the engines. My mechanic never said this was the problem with my engine although I’m not discounting it as a possibility. I did enroll in a class action lawsuit since I felt like I should do SOMETHING. It’ll be nickels if I see anything from that. Lawyers will make bank but the people that have actually been harmed will see very little. Buyer beware I guess!

2.0

Regrets

Bought 2018 Ford Edge Sport. I've had it for a little over a year and I've had nothing but problems. Constantly at the Ford Dealer for something. Can't wait to get rid of it!

2018 Ford edge. Stay away

My 2018 Ford edge is 4 years old with 85000 miles on it. I have had engine replaced. After replacement of engine, and 500 miles later sensors went off in car. I took it to the dealership and they are saying it could be wheel bearing to wheel sensors. The windshield wiper control switch is also failing. Stay away from this vehicle it will only fail you.